Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Can anyone explain the benefits of damper control with drive select compared to drive select alone? On the s line plus for 2014, sports suspension is a no cost option. Is damper control only a benefit if sports suspension is specified? My dealer says that with standard suspension drive select will enable changes to the ride and suspension so I can't see what damper control would provide in addition to this with this set up? It is not clear from the information that Audi provides as far as I can see. Apparently the 2014 s line models come with softer suspension now anyway?
Thanks,
Peter.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I can't speak for the std vs sports suspension as my SQ5 has a totally different suspension setup again!
But I can say with confidence that unless you opt for dynamic dampers drive select will have no options for ride comfort... Your dealer is talking s*** (which I have to say makes my blood boil).
I commented on your other thread with a full description http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php?/topic/7177-2014%20s%20line%20plus%202.0tdi%20stronic%20-%20start%20stop%20and%20hill%20hold%20assist
Perhaps if someone can give you thoughts on std vs sports sus then that will answer your question in full...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When specifying Q5 options on the uk Audi website this is what you get regarding damper control system. Interesting comment about lowered sports suspension.... Very misleading I feel. I understand that you can't spec. this on an SQ5

Damper control

"Outstanding adjustment of the suspension to suit varying driving situations and types of road surface.
Formed on the basis of lowered Sports suspension, the optional damper control system fine-tunes suspension settings according to road conditions and driver needs
Only available in combination with Audi drive select."

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
That would suggest you have to have it lowered to add the damper control...

Have you tried ticking damper control and delete lowered suspension on the configurator?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damper control can be can be added to the spec. regardless of if the choice is optional sports suspension or just left as std suspension (this is for s line plus trim level) the only mandatory requirement of ADS. I'm guessing that with std suspension the benefits may not be great... Audi customer services don't seem to know either at the moment.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
This isn't strictly, technically true, but in laymans terms the sports suspension is shorter springs, so the ride won't be massively different to the standard...
The damper control changes the shocks to those with adjustable rebound, this will have a significant effect on the ride...

As such, lowered suspension, with damper control fitted and set to comfort mode will likely be a lot 'comfier' than the std suspension without damper control fitted...

The question will come down to; after the test drive are you happy with the ride, and are you going to want the ability to make it make stiffer for spirited driving sessions or are you concerned only by long haul comfort. Ideally of course you'd want to back to back test std with lowered plus damper control...
I'd be surprised if your dealer didn't have one with damper control you can try (or couldn't get one from a dealer I their group)...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. I will see if i can experience both set ups. Incidentally, what about the set up if the std suspension is retained and damper control specified? I can't see how this configuration would work? I may have got this wrong but; std suspension with damper control allows firmer ride setting (broadly speaking) sports suspension with damper control allows softer ride settings. Why would the std suspension be specified with damper control?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Interesting. I will see if i can experience both set ups. Incidentally, what about the set up if the std suspension is retained and damper control specified? I can't see how this configuration would work? I may have got this wrong but; std suspension with damper control allows firmer ride setting (broadly speaking) sports suspension with damper control allows softer ride settings. Why would the std suspension be specified with damper control?
I'm pretty sure you'll find damper control is not possible with std suspension...

And not sure if you wrote the above the wrong way around, but damper control or not, the sports will be inherently slightly firmer than std due to the shorter (and so thus stiffer) springs (there really won't be much in it though as we are talking about 2cm).

If you are really worried about getting the 'right ride' then damper control may be the way to go - at least you will have 3 settings to play with then! Of course I appreciate it is not a throw away cost at £680...

Probably best bet is to take the test drive and see what you think! I'm pretty sure you will be impressed with the ride and what it can still accomplish handling-wise considering its size... Regardless of the suspension options fitted the Q5 platform is a great drive.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I will let you know how i get on. I have checked on the Audi website and you can specify damper control without enabling the optional sports suspension. I wonder if any members have a car with this configuration? Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I cannot pass comment on the benefit of damper control on a Q5 but, unlike A6 Allroad, it comes with steel rather than air springing therefore I would assume that the ride can only be manipulated within very narrow parameters.
With regard to S Line suspension the brochure states clearly that this, unlike other Audi models, is "not lowered" so I assume that it consists of firmer coils and dampers which will improve body control at the cost of low speed urban ride quality and bump absorption. Probably not ideal if you spend most of your time on pothole ridden urban roads but potentially advantageous on fast A roads.
Have ordered mine with it.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I cannot pass comment on the benefit of damper control on a Q5 but, unlike A6 Allroad, it comes with steel rather than air springing therefore I would assume that the ride can only be manipulated within very narrow parameters.
With regard to S Line suspension the brochure states clearly that this, unlike other Audi models, is "not lowered" so I assume that it consists of firmer coils and dampers which will improve body control at the cost of low speed urban ride quality and bump absorption. Probably not ideal if you spend most of your time on pothole ridden urban roads but potentially advantageous on fast A roads.
Have ordered mine with it.
Quite right... Somewhere I thought I'd read it had a 20mm drop (maybe previous model years have?). But as of now the sport suspension is not lower, just firmer...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The only setup that is lower is SQ.
This is an SUV, not a sports car - it's meant to have a degree of off-road capabilities.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been to my supplying Audi dealer today and driven a new s line plus with std suspension. It rides nicely and not overly hard with the std set up which includes 20 inch wheels. I am still trying to understand the effect of damper control as this was not fitted to the test car.
After a detailed discussion and involving quite a few people at the dealership, this is the current suggestion;

The s line plus with sports suspension is lower than the s line plus with std suspension
Both set ups seem to be available with the damper control option
It is unclear what each set up will deliver in terms of differing ride quality at this stage
There are so few Q5's with damper option fitted that it will be hard to get a drive in one (ideally both with sports and std suspension options). The dealer is contacting Audi for a more detailed explanation.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm not sure that the Sline plus is lower with sports suspension.... well at least according the Audi catalogue it's the same as the standard suspension.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b542/Regandcuths/image_zps7c718135.jpg

Does anyone have good technical knowledge of suspension dynamics? I found this graph which relates to the differences between difference suspension settings. If this could be supplied for say the difference between sport and std suspension and the drive select modes it would give an excellent benchmark...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I think you are looking too deep into this.
Dynamic is great if you want control over two mode.

Sline is fine, but was reported as hard by the press, standard is softer.
Remember it's a SUV, not a sports car, if you tested one and you like the ride go with that...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't disagree. I may be getting too wrapped up in this. That said, I do like to understand how what is on offer fully works, before making a decision, and as yet I can't get a satisfactory explanation. For example; although I find the ride in the s line plus with std suspension acceptable, i would like to understand the impact of specifying damper control on this set up compared to going with sports suspension and damper control. If damper control was only available with sports suspension then it may make this choice a little easier, but it can be specified with std suspension as well. I would not mind paying the extra for damper control provided I have an explanation of the setup and what i can expect. I agree that you cant beat driving the cars and finding out for yourself. Unfortunately finding late MY cars with this setup is very difficult as there aren't many about. I guess i am a bit of a pedant, but i don't think i'm alone on this site (which btw is far more informative than Audi UK!). My most recent posting of the rebound graph was a suggestion that may at least establish a non-subjective baseline for what different settings achieve. Audi UK as yet cannot explain the difference in the set ups. If for example damper control with sports suspension provided a comfort setting that is comparable with std SE setup as well as dynamic setting I could have the best of both. Damper control with std setup might give an even softer setting option in addition to a stiffer choice, again a good alternative to consider for the additional £680.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
But you are asking others a subjective question. We can't tell you what will be the best for you - you have to experience them.
Another way of looking at it, is no one complains that either Sline or sport is too hard or soft.

I'd ask AUK to locate you cars with the setups you are interested in (or your local dealer could do it if they want to do the leg work)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts