Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this may have been discussed/covered elsewhere. I had a good chat with one of the senior technicians at the Audi garage today and the topic of running out of diesel came up. I said that i had read somewhere that whatever you do don't run out as it can be a back to garage job to get it going again after refuelling. He said that they have run loads of q5 cars out of fuel and you just fill them up crank them over and away they go! I thought I would share his comments. Has anyone actually ran out of diesel and experienced this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think that this will be correct. Never ran dry in a diesel Audi for fear of repeating the embarrassment suffered when I ran out of Diesel in a Land Rover Discovery 17 or 18 years ago. It was my first diesel and did not know that one had to manually prime the diesel pump to bring fuel through from the tank after running dry. Local garage guy turned out @ 9pm and did the needful pumping under the bonnet so that I would know the next time. LR's were pretty agricultural transport back then and a big shock after running Audi 80s for several years before but are more sophisticated now.
From what I learned back then VAG DERV vehicles self primed and presumably still do as I guess will modern LR products.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I always fill before the low fuel light comes on, but good to know its not such a deal as it used to be

Reactions: Mobydick

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I'd say it's 50/50 - there is a prime procedure available via VCDS, which you are supposed to do 3 times if you run it dry (although I think really 3 times is only really needed if you did work on the fuel system which meant the lines were completely drained for some reason...). So if you were unlucky and the lines were completely dry from you running out of fuel it may require manual priming.

When you open the drivers door after unlocking in the morning you may notice a whirring noise coming from under the car - this is the TFP (transfer fuel pump) priming the system ready for you to start it up. The VCDS priming procedure is basically to force it to do this 5 second pump run for a longer period (30 seconds).

http://wiki.ross-tec..._CR_TDI_Engines

·
Banned
489 Posts
Thanks José . I wondered what the whirring noise was!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts