Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I got my 3.0 TDI Special Ed. in November, and I've come to the point now where I've convinced myself there is something wrong with the ride quality on the car, and I'm taking it into the local Audi centre. I've got standard suspension on the car, and while I know the 20" wheels are bound to make it harsher, from the comments on the forum from those with 20" wheels, no-one else seems to have an issue. Unfortunately I realise this is subjective, but driving on any road with the slightest imperfection (which is basically all of Britain's roads) the car bounces around all over the place. I've checked the tire pressure etc and this is correct.

My question to you guys is: what could be wrong with it (other than me
) ? I noticed when I was washing the car over the weekend that the metal trim around the brake pads on both front wheels was quite bent, and I've no idea when or how that happened or if that's related.

Is there any adjustment that can be done on the shocks to improve the ride? I'm wondering about changing the wheels to 19" ones or getting rid of the car, gulp. I'm prepared for Audi to tell me that's just how the ride is and to go away. Any one got any advice?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its been reported in the press that the Q5 is a firm ride and rather than seeing it as a negative I see it as positive because it handles so well around corners and is generally a much sportier car than others in its class.

I have the 3.0 TDI and whilst I would definitely describe it as a firm ride for an suv it doesn't bother me. I have 19 ich wheels btw.

Did you go for the sports suspension which is firmer? Maybe this is standard on the special edition?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Davey,

I had a 3.0Tdi SE with standard suspension and 20" rims but I would never say that the ride was "bouncy".
Between specifying the SE with 20" wheels and collecting the car I got very concerned about the ride quality because i'd seen so much bad press about the ride on big wheels. Moving to the Audi from a Lexus RX worried me, but i must say that once i got the car i was very pleased with the ride. It felt more in contact with the road and yet absorbed the bumps and potholes every bit as well as the Lexus did. Pushing on a bit, the Audi left the Lexus for dead by way of grip and poise through the corners.

The ride was definitely more firm, but i never felt it was in a negative way and indeed enjoyed the more "planted" feel of the Audi.
As you say, horses for courses, but maybe the best thing you could do is ask your dealership for a loan of a Q5 with the S-Line (sports) suspension. At least then you'll be able to feel the difference between the two.

Good luck.

Mike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The rough edges to the brakes is normal - at least it is on mine.
The Q5 is pretty firm at the best of times. I've got Drive Select on mine and it's firm even in 'comfort' mode. I'm OK with the ride as I'm used to hard suspension settings on my cars. Depends what you're after. It's the tyre noise that I find a bit irritating - and that's the 19" ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've found it a better ride than the BMW X5 that I had for 3 years previously. It also handles MUCH better. You can feel it grip and squeeze the road around tight corners. Yes, you do feel the bumps more as a passenger but I think this is more of a complaint about our rotten country and their inability to use ROAD tax for what it should be used for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts