Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drive is on a very slight downhill slope which I usually park facing down the hill.
When the car is cold it is very reluctant to reverse out of the parking brake.

Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
My drive is on a very slight downhill slope which I usually park facing down the hill.

Anyone else had this?
Sorry Josh can't help you with this as I've always driven forward from park. I thought that the parking brake was ment to hold you on slope and to prevent the car rolling back. Have you tried manually releasing it whilst holding the car on the footbrake?
Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts

Anyone else had this?
Josh,have found that if the car is not level that its a lot harder to release the brake without pushing the button ,perhaps a safety feature.

Rich

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Will have to try manually releasing it. Just reversed onto the drive so it should drive out no problem.

Not a problem once it's been driven. Feels like the brake is frozen on and of course once you start moving it just takes very high revs to overcome. Good job it's only a few degrees of angle though as it could be a problem. Maybe as it gets looser it will settle down.

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts
Thanks. Will have to try manually releasing it. Just reversed onto the drive so it should drive out no problem.

Not a problem once it's been driven. Feels like the brake is frozen on and of course once you start moving it just takes very high revs to overcome. Good job it's only a few degrees of angle though as it could be a problem. Maybe as it gets looser it will settle down.
Got plenty of time on your hands now to drive in and out of your drive all day long.lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Josh,

I have quite a slope and always park facing down. I have never had a problem reversing off. Just stick it in reverse and put my foot down a bit and it pulls away. I dont use excessive revs at all and dont have hill hold assist.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basil,

Is that with the manual or stronic. I've got the stronic. It starts to move and then I have to really use some power to shift it.

Not used the hill hold assist yet

·
Registered
45 Posts
Basil,

Is that with the manual or stronic. I've got the stronic. It starts to move and then I have to really use some power to shift it.

Not used the hill hold assist yet
Josh, the other thing to remember is that the parking brake won't automatically disengage unless you have your seatbelt buckled up!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Josh, the other thing to remember is that the parking brake won't automatically disengage unless you have your seatbelt buckled up!
I worked that bit out

Drove out this morning with no problem. Will have to use some of my free time to practice reversing out.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Josh. I have the 3.otdi and also have a sloping drive and yes I do get a problem sometimes with extra power to get the car moving. It tends to occur when I get in the car and move off straight away. If you leave the car for maybe 15 secs you will notice the engine revs drop slightly by about 150-200 revs. Once this has occured I get no problem. Whether this is getting the fluids moving in the gearbox I dont know, but definately does occur.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At the moment I'm waiting for the screen to clear so that should be long enough. If the drive was longer I'd go forward first to free the brake. It only happens on that first occasion. After that I can go in and out several times with no problem even with several hours in between.

I might try the hill hold assist (though i'd hardly call my gently sloping drive a hill........more like a small pimple).

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
This is interesting - I occasionally feel that I have to give mine a boot full to get it moving, even with the brake off. Doesn't do it all the time but even a gentle slope or the small (15mm) step up into the garage is enough to make you pause for thought.

·
Registered
963 Posts
It's a strange feeling of not going anywhere fast. Just worried me if I give it too much fuel it would suddenly shoot back into something!
Also hardly in keeping with the process of running your engine in!

Reversed in last couple of days so it drives out with no problem

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
It's a strange feeling of not going anywhere fast. Just worried me if I give it too much fuel it would suddenly shoot back into something!
Also hardly in keeping with the process of running your engine in!

Reversed in last couple of days so it drives out with no problem
I know exactly what you mean - it can set off at an alarming pace!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts