Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have hdd based mmi high & audi parking system plus.
In my own stupidity I didn't cough up the odd 300 something and regret this each time I use reverse gear.
I'm not about a pay a shop 1k to do this for me so if anyone has done this or knows anybody who has, I could use some help, mainly info on what to order and how to fit it.
I need this to be as oem as possible and so far I've gathered the following (some of it may be wrong):
1) oem camera
2) oem camera module
3) wiring (can I get this oem or do need to go kufatec?)
Is that it?
I believe the hdd based 3g mmi module does not need to be replaced as it already comes with the necessary connection to accept the camera wire.
I also already have vagcom and will do the necessary programming.
I will not bother with the camera calibration.
The major problem will be routing the wires from the rear hatch to the front where the mmi unit resides.
If anyone has the part numbers and some info on installation I could make a guide with photos.
There are so many guides but every car is different and every spec is different aswell. Also each part has different revisions. I don't know where to start.

·
Banned
801 Posts
I have hdd based mmi high & audi parking system plus.
In my own stupidity I didn't cough up the odd 300 something and regret this each time I use reverse gear.
I'm not about a pay a shop 1k to do this for me so if anyone has done this or knows anybody who has, I could use some help, mainly info on what to order and how to fit it.
I need this to be as oem as possible and so far I've gathered the following (some of it may be wrong):
1) oem camera
2) oem camera module
3) wiring (can I get this oem or do need to go kufatec?)
Is that it?
I believe the hdd based 3g mmi module does not need to be replaced as it already comes with the necessary connection to accept the camera wire.
I also already have vagcom and will do the necessary programming.
I will not bother with the camera calibration.
The major problem will be routing the wires from the rear hatch to the front where the mmi unit resides.
If anyone has the part numbers and some info on installation I could make a guide with photos.
There are so many guides but every car is different and every spec is different aswell. Also each part has different revisions. I don't know where to start.
I can find factory numbers of spare parts from the service of ETKA v7.25 but make sure I need the chassis number of cars (VIN number) because it has more models.
For installation you need ElsaWin to the factory for repair program. I have the same but it is too complicated and a large 11GB.
Here are some of the parts and prices:
8R0 907 441 A control unit for reversin camera system price 236 Eur
5N0 827 566 C push button for electric lid lock actuator and reversing camera system price 182 Eur

I think this is expensive and complicated

Here's a picture of parts and positions where they stand

ScreenShot001.jpg (OPEN picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the replies.

So it looks I have two options:
1) Kufatec (Buy the whole kit for 600 Eur + shipping and fit it myself) I have no idea whether the parts are oem or not.
2) Buy the following oem parts:
a) 8R0 907 441 A control unit for reversin camera system price 236 Eur
5N0 827 566 C push button for electric lid lock actuator and reversing camera system price 182 Eur (cheers for the part numbers & illustrations - sure I've seen them somewhere before)
c) Anyone has the part number of the oem wiring or is this not sold by audi?
Kufatec will sell the wiring separately for 59 Eur + shipping
I will still have to fit it myself.

Both options will cost over 600 Eur when you consider installation as well. While the parts are rediculously expensive I'm more worried about tearing the car apart. (especially front to back, if it was all in the boot much less worries)
I would only proceed if I found someone who has done it to their q5 (quinea pig).
I'll ask the dealership if they would undertake such task and for how much ???(?).
If you ask me the car should have come with cameras fitted to the back, front & sides.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't do it. Whenever you take a car apart and put it back together you always create rattles. its not worth it. Just get the reversing camera next time around!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know that you are after OEM but I have been fitting aftermarket cameras as part of the nav solution for non-mmi Q5s for the last year or so, so here are a couple of tips that you can use when / if you get around to doing it!

1. Wiring from boot latch / camera location to control module in RH rear side panel in he boot - this can be done in two stages, without removing the lining... Open boot and look UP. Remove the cover that gives access to the RH tail-light cluster for changing lamps. This is the mid-point for pulling wires. Drop out the latch assembly and fit the new one with camera - you may need a draw-wire but pull the wire through to the corner where you've removed the cover. Then unclip the cover over the RH hinge. It just pulls off. You WILL need some sort of semi-stiff wire to pull through the narrow section beside the window. Either multi-strand steel flex wire or plastic packing braided tape will do.
2. In the RH side removable panel in the boot wall, you can mount the controller module. I am not sure if this is the OEM location for this, but I expect that it is.
3. Wiring from rear to front is quite easy. There ia a well protected route from inside the RH boot wall cavity and then forward under the door sills. The plastic seems very hard but you can lift the edge that sits against the carpet floor just enough to push a coax video cable into the cavity all of the way to the kick-panel in the front seat. If you need the cable to be on the left, the natural place to direct it from RHS to LHS is behind the rear seats. The boot floor carpet is laid with velcro for the leading front edge so that can be lifted.

(fyi I have never tested it with oem MMI but could supply non-genuine camera including simple control relay box and cabling to front of car for 50 EUR shipped anywhere if you wanted to give it a try)

cheers

Reactions: aargyri
1 - 7 of 7 Posts