Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as the new facelift model is soon to be launched will people who have ordered the first series residuals drop. As nearly spending £50,000 on a car and it dropping to £20,000 in three years would mean I have should of bought a newer version car. I may have to cancel my order if this is the case and go for something like a Range Rover Sport. Hope I don't have to. Bye.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you want to lose big money on a car, there is no more secure way to do so, than shelling out on a new Range Rover Sport.

·
Registered
578 Posts
At the end of the day the bigger, more powerful and more options you go for the more money you will lose. The 3.0tdi will depreciate more than the 2.0tdi, people buying used cars are often looking at the annual road tax and mpg. Yes residuals are dropping on the Q5's, but so are the discounts, you can get 10% off a new Q5 if you go through a broker. I'd still predict around 20-30%% depreciation over 3 years, which is excellent - the facelift won't make any difference, look at the "new" A4, it's practically the same. The Q5 has held its value due to popularity and demand but now you can get a new one delivered in under 3 months.

Any big car such as a Range Rover Sport will lose 50-60% in 3 years, mainly due to reliability and cost (£450 road tax etc).

If we do hit a double-dip / credit crisis #2 then cars will come down evern more and bigger cars will suffer the most. I leased a Q7 in 2007, it cost £45k and 18 months later at the end of the lease it was worth £20k, that's £1400 depreciation a month + interest, fortunately I leased it for £570 a month.

I wouldn't worry about the Q5 dropping, just keep it long enough to smooth out any losses, I went for 5 years finance and 5 years warranty, I estimate that my deposit/equity in the car will double over this period.

Reactions: Q512

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cars are money pits full stop. I'm buying mine mainly for work so in 4 years it will have 80k on it. I'm leasing it so I can hand it back and start again.

Who cares if they bring something slightly different out.

I suppose it all depends whether you are buying it outright or leasing it. Also how many miles you'll put on it.

Only you can decide

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any advice for what to do.

If I do keep the Q5 it would be for 2 Years if the residuals go down but if it stays up I would keep it for another year or so. I think I might have to cancel the order and to size down to an A6 Allroader (Range Rover Sport is a bit of a waste of money like you said and a bit showy) as I want something premium but also powerful.

Advice for a diffrent car or If I should keep the order would be helpful. Also does anyone know dates or information about the facelift. Also I am trading in an 11 Plate S3 Black Edition and have a Citreon DS3 for my Wife on order. (she dosen't know
!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm buying the Q5 for a number of reasons. One being the elevated driving position.

You wouldn't get that in the A6.

The Q5 is a great car and you still don't see that many on the road compared to everything else (especially RRS's).

You have to really ask yourself what you want the car for. You remind me of me going from car option to car option.

Take the Q5.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cancelled my order this afternoon and have an ex-demo 61 Plate A7 3.0 S-Line due for collection on saturday, (quite a big diffrence of delivery times than the Q5!!!), shame really as I love the Q5 but I did not want to risk wasting an amount that big of money. I didn't go for the A6 Allroader as it's waste of money, Q7 too big, Range Rover too much and a bit showy.

I will be replacing this car for a Facelift Q5 when orders open in the UK. Hopfully Soon!!! I will be reguarly checking the forum soon!

Choosing a car is like gambling, you don't know if you should get it or not. Q512

bye

·
Registered
578 Posts
Cancelled my order this afternoon and have an ex-demo 61 Plate A7 3.0 S-Line due for collection on saturday, (quite a big diffrence of delivery times than the Q5!!!), shame really as I love the Q5 but I did not want to risk wasting an amount that big of money. I didn't go for the A6 Allroader as it's waste of money, Q7 too big, Range Rover too much and a bit showy.

I will be replacing this car for a Facelift Q5 when orders open in the UK. Hopfully Soon!!! I will be reguarly checking the forum soon!

Choosing a car is like gambling, you don't know if you should get it or not. Q512

bye
This seems very odd to me, has Audi given you a guaranteed resildual on the A7? Their profit margin is around £3k - £4k and they knock this off trade-ins, how will you get around not losing a load on the A7 this year when you trade for a facelift Q? Nice car though, congratulations on the purchase.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully I won't, I was though guaranteed I would get more on the A7 than I would if I had the Q5 which seems good I was also taking into consideration the wating time because by the time I would have got it, it would have been only a couple of months before the new model being released. Hopefully I have made the right decision. A7 costing £50,000 and would go down to about £45,000 whereas the Q5 costing £50,000 and when I sell it in three years time and with the new version drop it would be about £35,000-£40,000. I will get a Q5 one day though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You will find that in 3 yrs, the difference between a same reg facelift Q5 and a non facelift won't span much more than a couple of grand. I found that with my A3.

A facelift is just that, not a completely new model, which occurs at the 6-7 years from launch time. That creates a bigger differential of course.

I also don't get the comparison between losing £5k in 6 months on an A7 against £15k on a Q5 in 3 years, or have I missed the point?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I said before I would keep the Q5 for 3 years as the strong re-sale values and the general enjoyment of the car will want me to keep it for a long period of time. However I would only keep the A7 for 6 months so I'd be the first in the queue and guranteed a strong resale value if a popular demand to get a Q5. Sorry it's a bit confussing. Basicly I would keep the A7 until orders can be placed for the facelift then I would order it as soon as possible too keep a strong-ish resale value of the A7 so I will not lose as much money if values go down on MK.1 Q5. I will leave the forum now until I have ordered the new Q5!!!!!! Hope to come back soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow. Where did the A7 suddenly come from?

You were talking A6/RRS a few days ago.

Good luck with the A7 and let us know when you are ordering the Q5.

·
Registered
122 Posts
As I said before I would keep the Q5 for 3 years as the strong re-sale values and the general enjoyment of the car will want me to keep it for a long period of time. However I would only keep the A7 for 6 months so I'd be the first in the queue and guranteed a strong resale value if a popular demand to get a Q5. Sorry it's a bit confussing. Basicly I would keep the A7 until orders can be placed for the facelift then I would order it as soon as possible too keep a strong-ish resale value of the A7 so I will not lose as much money if values go down on MK.1 Q5. I will leave the forum now until I have ordered the new Q5!!!!!! Hope to come back soon.
I'm not too sure about the A7 having a strong resale. Take for instance the VW phaeton. similar billing to the A7, luxury saloon. £60-70k brand new, depreciation 40-50% depreciation in the first 3 years. You can expect the same with the A7.

If I were you, i'd of bought a used Q5 and waited for the facelift. money well spent and well saved.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Why buy the A7 for only 6 months? Wouldn't you have been better off just waiting for the facelifted Q5? (to be previewed at Paris in September btw).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts