Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
My wifes Q5 was low on oil last month (agian!) so she bought a 2ltr bottle and a guy at her work threw the lot it. The oil gauge was reading up to the full level which I thought was fine, but after putting it in a few weeks ago she now has a 'Reduce Oil Level' warning come up.
I thought if you over filled with oil it just burnt off!!

Is this the case or will i need to get it drained?

The level was low and she did only put 2 ltrs in!!

cheers.

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
Q5s come with a spare one litre and that is all one should put in when the low oil light shows.

Overfilling is not good for the engine. I would suggest you suck out or drain the excess.

·
Banned
801 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
As missile Mentions the best option is to drain off the oil, it will burn off at the same rate it was previously it will not increase because it's overfill. Worst case if it's left in will be leaking seals and oil blow by from the breather back into the induction system may even cause a engine to run off (overspeed)
The free space in the crankcase at normal oil level controls the splash, drain back to sump, oil mist, and expansion overfilling will prevent the "breathing" of the engine.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Here's a tip - buy some thin tubing and a syringe - you can get them off eBay or from an aquatics store, you then feed the tube down the engine via the dip stick hole and suck the oil out, you need to take 1 litre of oil out. The guy that top the oil up is an idiot and this could really harm your engine, particularly if you drive long distance or high speeds. Alternatively drop it into a garage it's a 1 minute job for them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oh and the petrol engines drink oil so that's normal but you're best off adding small quantities frequently and as needed, I think I used to put in 0.25 litres each month / 1500 miles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys getting it drained today for a tenner!
If she's been running to and from work in it for a couple of weeks would this have damaged anything?
It was on minimum when the guy stuck the 2 litres in, how much oil will the engine need from empty?

·
Registered
111 Posts
.....only about a cup full needed taking out so not too much over anyway.
Hopefully all will be ok, but if it does cut out on her as she's tanking it down the M42 the wife has life insurance!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 to the syringe down the dipstick hole. You can also get them from most decent motor factors if you need one quickly and don't have a local aquatics store.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There shouldnt be any future issues and the car is under warranty so youre all clear.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Too large amount of oil can damage the engine in the same way as when the engine is running without oil.

The warranty does not cover even one of these two cases

·
Registered
578 Posts
He has removed the excess oil and the car is fine, any residual issues which may occur would be covered under warranty as how would they know he had over filled it #sheish!

·
Banned
801 Posts
Technicians are familiar with engine damage due to excess oil
Similar to when the engine is running without oil, and the resulting damage engine.
You can add oil, but technicians know why the engine is damaged

Technicians are not that stupid and naive

Computer stores all errors in memory and technicians that can be easily read (excess or lack of oil) . These are modern cars do not they 20-30 years ago

Conclusion: The warranty does not apply because it is your fault

·
Registered
578 Posts
Spijun always has to have the last say, you watch.....

·
Banned
801 Posts
I wrote the truth.
Correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
279 Posts
Blooming 'eck - it's getting like Pistonheads on here - lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts