Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice.

I sent my dealer an email asking if I could add the "Audio Entertainment Mobile - Single Player Package" from the accessories brochure to my spec.

This morning I received a reply informing me that if I wanted this then I would need to take the Rear Weat Entertainment from the Q5 brochure.

Rear Seat Entertainment
Includes two detachable DVD players/monitors fitted to the back of the front seats (supplied
by Audi Genuine Accessories). The backs of the front seats are fitted with mountings and power connections. The system
can be used outside the car with a rechargeable battery or mains power connection, which is included in the package.
Includes individual remote controls and two sets of headphones

It costs 1050 and was wondering if anyone has this on their Q5/SQ5 and cold they give me some feedback as to whether it is worth it.

As present I am using a pretty naff in car DVD player for my 3 year old which incorporates straps and velcro etc around the passenger headrest.

Thanks.

Reactions: -Ju-

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Can't speak from experience but when this has come up before the VAST majority of people recommend buying an iPad and the headrest mount for it.
Cheaper and more versatile.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't speak from experience but when this has come up before the VAST majority of people recommend buying an iPad and the headrest mount for it.
Cheaper and more versatile.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I thought as much, i've seen rigid mounts that attach to the back of your headrest and they had an attachment for an ipad or dvd player.

The nextbase click and go stanchion looks great.

http://www.nextbase.co.uk/products/Stanchion-Mount-%28Click-%26-Go-Series%29.html

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does look pretty good, but only works with the one type of DVD player. I still say better going with an iPad as you can use that for 1 million different things, and you can still plug it into the 12v for long journeys and stick a film on it - I wandered if Audi did an official one - they do, but it only works with the rear seat entertainment system!! Hilarious!
https://shops.audi.c...articleId=51128
The site i posted earlier supplies a rigid ipad mount to allow for watching movies and charging, it looks really good.

·
Registered
596 Posts
As Tricky says, the Nextbase system is very good.
I've (or should I say the kids) have used 2 DVD players on quality headrest mounts for almost 5 years without issue - they can operate either independently (2 films / 2 monitors) or can be linked (1 film / 2 monitors) through use of a simple lead - supplied.
Price-wise, I think it came in at about £600 all told - includes wireless headsets, chargers, 12v supply leads and auxiliary batteries for out-of-vehicle use.
Considerably cheaper than the Audi version, and little different.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've had the audi system fitted in my Q7, £950 a couple of years ago so I imagine it's the same system as the one being offered for the Q5. It's not something I would have specced by choice, but it was a showroom car and not negotiable. I did use it a bit however; decent quality sound and pics, plays dvd and cd's, both screens (and entire fixing unit) are detachable with chargeable batteries which can be charged from the mains as well as by the car - essentially portable dvd players with stands. Still got them in fact.

Quite versatile, compared to for example the xc90 version built directly into the front headrest. I was always hanging fleeces over them to cover them up.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
We just use two surfaces or iPad on seat back mounts.
the surfaces actually work better for movies due to the size ratio..

·
Registered
1 Posts
@vegas2002 does your alpine work as advertised? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I want to change the stereo from my car for a while now.

I have settled with Alpine. Though I'm lost which unit would be the best choice.
Most internet reviews are just full of ... it's only hype. When I read some real
customer feedback I got discouraged.

After searching awhile I've found a different blog. They sure tell it how it is. I've read that review and got me thinking. Is the Alpine ILX-107 radio really that bad?

I mean it does only support Iphones not Android? How good is the sound quality?

Any thoughts of wisdom?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
@vegas2002 does your alpine work as advertised? Would you recommend it?
You probably will not get a response from him as he was last on here in Mar 2014 .............................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts