Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some advice on replacing my rear passenger side drive shaft / CV axel (not sure what the correct name is?) Its part number 8R0 501 203C. When replacing the rear brake pads and discs I noticed that the black plastic casing on the shaft was split/burst (around about where the number "1" is on the diagram below, and highlighted in photo). I'm not sure if the is because something like a stone has hit it or because the part is defective in some way. Any chance this would be covered under Audi's 12 year corrosion warranty? Yikes really dirty back there!!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Vehicle brake

The complete part 8R0 501 203C, including cv boot and the kit including all clips and grease from Audi dealer is ~£580, plus probably another 2-3 hours of labour at some astronomically rate! 😬

Font Wheel Parallel Illustration Aviation

I know I should just go with the Audi OEM part, but does anyone have any experience or knowledge of other aftermarket alternative manufacturer part such as GSP (China/Germany/USA) or SOREA (French)? Also contacted 'J&R CV Joints' and they don't do one for the SQ5 (too much power and Quattro they said :LOL:) , plus their CV boots don't seem to be quality enough reading elsewhere. Or does anyone know who manufacturers the OEM drive shaft CV axel for Audi?

Also has anyone had a similar problem or replaced an axel drive shaft before? It looks do-able but not sure I want to do it myself without a proper car lift.

Any advice welcome.

·
Still Game
4,772 Posts
That looks to be cosmetic damage to the plastic coating. It would be a big job to replace. Unless it is causing you sleepless nights I would forget about it.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have thought about cleaning it up and doing some kind of repair to the casing. Not sure if it could be sealed with some king of glue? Just worried that the metal shaft inside will corrode over time without being protected from the element and road salt.

But replacing looks kind of do-able from this video. Granted it's the front axel, but would assume it's similar at the back?

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well car was in at Audi Aberdeen this morning for MOT, so I asked them to investigate it.

Report says: 'Checked Nearside rear drive shaft and found paint to be peeling off the driveshaft but mechanically
sound.'

Phew! 😅 So that a relief. I still think it looks a bit thick to be paint. But when I get around to getting the wheel off again I can have a go at a cosmetic and weather proofing repair.

So yeah good shout missile, you were right (y)

I can sleep a bit easier (for) now 😌

On a side note I visited the Porsche dealership adjacent, and got a tour by the friendly Sales Manager Scott. But what I did notice is that some of the cars there have brake discs that are as smooth as glass, no sign of rust or turning colour. Go back to Audi, and none of the cars in the showroom have brake discs like at Porsche! Do they use different or higher grade metal in their brake discs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts