Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was very tempted this week to trade in for a Q7 3.0 Tdi Sline plus. Was offered £37K as a trade in.

But reports of heavy tyre wear on the web and 21" tyres costing circa £300 have scared me off tbh. Also not sure 2 adults and 2 small dogs justifies having 7 seats lol.

Anyone had any experience of this car or know of any problems with it please?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Was very tempted this week to trade in for a Q7 3.0 Tdi Sline plus. Was offered £37K as a trade in.

But reports of heavy tyre wear on the web and 21" tyres costing circa £300 have scared me off tbh. Also not sure 2 adults and 2 small dogs justifies having 7 seats lol.

Ask to borrow one for a week to see how you get on with it then weigh up the running costs vs how much you like it.

I have heard 10k miles on Q7 tyres.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Agree with Ransman try and get a loan car.
But for me Q7 is dated and new car due next year would either hold off and get new model or get a bargain runout model of the current q7.
http://www.carmagazi...om-the-next-Q7/

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah thank you. I didn't realise there was a new one coming. That might be why they're pushing these at the mo.

10K is not good mileage for tyres at £1200 + a set
That was one of a few reasons why I left the Range Rover Sport. I think the Q5 is very good on tyres.

There's a Q6 sometime too isn't there?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Don't do it!

I had a 3.0tdi Q7 S-Line in 2007 when they first came out. Brilliant car, in a different class to the Q5 but I found it too big to park. You can't park it easily at all. Plus the tyre wear is shocking, as is the brake pad wear - you're looking at 10k for tyres and 15k for brakes if you drive with a bit of oooomph! Fuel economy is also pretty bad, I averaged 25mpg on my 100 mile commutes to London at 85mph.

I've been saying this for a while but the new Q7 is THE car to go for, its got the same alu type frame as the new A8 which I have now and is a lot lighter. The new diesel engines are more efficient so you should be looking at 30mpg minimum. Also the reduced weight will save on the tyres and brakes.

The current Q7 is old hat now, values will fall through the fall once the new one comes out. I think you can expect some pretty radical styling changes too. I can't change mine as its a company car, but if I could I would be ready to place an order on the Q7 later this year and try to get one of the first to come out. Go and test drive a new A8 if you want to see what the newer engines and tech packs are like - it's a significant improvement.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Totally agree with Kramer, rumours are the new Q7 is going to be circa 500kg lighter than its predecessor and much more economical. I struggle sometimes justifying the size of the Q5 with two of us and two dogs, never mind a Q7!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had a 4.2 litre Q7 as a courtesy car for a week. No doubt it is a lovely car but the sheer size makes it very difficult to live with in an urban environment. I sent it back after a week !!!

It eats fuel and from what friends who own them tell me it eats tyres nearly as quickly as fuel. I think the 3 litre would be more economical but not much

The one I had was a seven seater which drastically reduced the boot size so bear that in mind also.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Think I best stick with the Q5

·
Registered
578 Posts
They are all 7 seaters (hence Q"7") although the two seats in the back fold into the boot and provide lots of space. Its a great car for a pimp, you can cart around 6 hoes at a time and push the seats into the boot if you need boot space for body disposal etc.

Reactions: Chopper

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the normal middle rows seats up the boot is only about 7 or 8" deeper than the Q5 and the same width. I put my dog cage in it to test it and was very surprised. But then I expect there is enough room for a V12 in the front

1 - 10 of 10 Posts