Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a VW Tiguan R Line 2.0 Diesel with the DSG box. Am considering exchanging for a 2013 Q5. Is the Audi worth it or is it just a pumped up Tiguan?

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
I would suggest the Q3 is a closer match to your Tiguan.

Those frequenting this forum feel an Audi is a better buy than a VW. Only you can decide whether it is worth the extra money.

·
Banned
801 Posts
VW Tiguan is built in on a platform the Golf VI
Audi Q3 is built in on a platform the A3
Audi A3 same basis Golf VI
Skoda Yeti platform Skoda Octavia = platform Golf VI

Audi Q5 is built in on a platform the A4

The quality and materials in the Audi are much better
Audi is preimium class

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response but what really interests me is whether the Q5 is -overall- a better car than the Tiguan and therefore worth the change and extra cash?

Cheers

·
Registered
249 Posts
Q5 has a much bigger boot than the Tiguan for starters.

·
Still Game
4,609 Posts
Surely, that depends on what you want from the car?

Bigmac likes the bigger boot, whilst others may want a more compact easier to park vehicle - like the Tiguan.

·
Banned
801 Posts
You know what kind of Tiguan car
Take Q5 from dealers you can compare it is the best solution for you

·
Registered
13 Posts
GRANDDUC

i was in the same dilemma like you. I just bought a 2012 Q5 (2 days ago) and is a totally different driving dynamics than my 2009 Tiguan.

Both have 2.0 Turbo engines. A key question should be how old is your car?

However, the Q5 feels premium the suspension is just perfect with my 18' rims (as opposed to the Tguan that is a bit more stiff)

The Q5 is bigger is every respect internal space, massive boot and the MMI is awesome (I just have the audi symphony radio and blows my mind the quality)

As spijun said.... test drive it and judge it by yourself!

hope it helps?

G

·
Registered
111 Posts
We almost bought a new Tiguan R Line but went for a 10 month old Q5 special edition instead and although the R Line does look a lovely car the Q5 is different class!!
But like someone else said it depends what you are looking for, drive one with the spec you are looking for....... you wont be dissapionted.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks. Test drove a 2.0 S Line Plus yesterday in Metalic White with 20'' Titanium Optic wheels that had the normal suspension. Unfortunately the dealer only had a manual version but it didnt matter that much. The drive was much more refined than my 2011 2.0 Tiguan which has sports suspension and the extra power reallly made a difference. I think the Q5 is only slightly bigger than the Tiguan but clearly it is a more classy car.
Interested to know what sort of discounts are around I can get 10% off list from my local dealer but would prefer more!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi,
Well I have sold my R Line Tiguan and ordered a Ice Silver 2.0 TDI S Line Plus S Tronic. The depreciation on the VW was pretty good and only worked out to £76 a week over the 21-22 months I owned it from new (would have trouble hiring a car for this amount per week). Was having trouble selling privately and to my surprise local VW dealer offered good money and said could shift it with no problem.

I hope I have made the right decision.........................wife doesnt think so!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
VW Tiguan is built in on a platform the Golf VI
Audi Q3 is built in on a platform the A3
Audi A3 same basis Golf VI
Skoda Yeti platform Skoda Octavia = platform Golf VI

Audi Q5 is built in on a platform the A4
Q5 is built on the MLP first used for the A5.
Q3 is built on PQ35 which is Golf V, not 6
Tiguan is built on PQ35

Models are not comparable IMO, its a poor sister to the Q3 not the Q5.
It doesnt have 4WD and the materials are much lower quality and fit is not as good.

That said, its much cheaper so depends on your view and value you add to brand images.
Gola or Nike?

·
Banned
801 Posts
Q5 is built on the MLP first used for the A5.
Q3 is built on PQ35 which is Golf V, not 6
Tiguan is built on PQ35

Models are not comparable IMO, its a poor sister to the Q3 not the Q5.
It doesnt have 4WD and the materials are much lower quality and fit is not as good.

That said, its much cheaper so depends on your view and value you add to brand images.
Gola or Nike?
I did not write where they were first used, but to have the same platform

Comparison is the same as between the Tiguan and Skoda Yeti

The platform is the same, the engines are the same but ...............

The same platform used by:

Audi A3 Mk2 (8P)
Audi TT Mk2 (8J) [1]
Volkswagen Touran (1T)
Volkswagen Caddy (2K)
SEAT Altea (5P)
Mk5 Volkswagen Golf / GTI / R32 / Rabbit Mk5 (1K)
Skoda Octavia Mk2 (1Z)
Volkswagen Golf Plus (5M)
SEAT Toledo Mk3 (5P)
Volkswagen Jetta Mk5 (1K)
SEAT Leon Mk2 (1P)
Volkswagen Eos (1F)
Volkswagen Tiguan (5N)
Volkswagen Scirocco (13)
Volkswagen Golf MK6 (5K) = Golf 6

Skoda Yeti (5L)
Audi Q3 (8U)
Volkswagen Passat MK6 (1K), (16)
Volkswagen Beetle (16)

One more very important difference: Audi quattro and VW 4motion

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
by stating the later model, people end up thinking its newer than it is, hence why i stated first model!
Golf 6 is just a cheaper made MK5 = PQ35 is now obsolete and has been replaced by the MQB platform.

·
Banned
801 Posts
I just used the platform to show off for the size of car
80% of users have no idea about the platforms on which it produces more types of the car so it does not matter

What's the big difference between Audi and VW is the quality of materials and workmanship.

More importantly, the drive quattro

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my wife a tiguan 2.0 TDI in 2010 after the birth of our son. Hated the drive. Hated the loss of simple extras...... sold it and bought a S-Line Q5 2.0 fully loaded. I know im not comparing apples with apples but ive never looked back. Everyone above has spoke about the tech comparisons but for me; i can take corners and go round roundabouts with less body roll and more control at erhem 'safe' speeds (when driving alone in her car of course).

Must say there was more pram space in the tiguan compared to the Q5 but thats about it. The Q5 is a much better car end of. (cost me an extra 10k mind u so it better be!!!)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi there,
I started this topic and I suppose being an Audi Forum expected responses to be in favour of the Q5 over the Tiguan. I had the R Line which comes with standard sports suspension and I thought it handled well but harshly. I advertised it in Autotrader and had a few viewings along with the usual time wasters with no money to spend. I tried the dealer from where we bought it but they said they were fully stocked so tried another local VW dealer who offered a good price. It actually worked out over the 21-22 months of ownership from new that it cost around £76 a week in depreciation. Now I think thats pretty good considering the dealer needs to sell it on again. Even though the Q5 is clearly a better built and drivable car I doubt very much when I come to sell it I will see the same low level of depreciation. But I will worry about that another day!!!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Like with all cars, depends on both when you buy and sell.
You could have sold the Q5 at the right time for the same price as you paid for it.

·
Banned
842 Posts
There certainly was a supply and demand issue when I bought mine 12 months ago but I don't think thats the case now, especially with the facelift coming onto the market. Saying that I haven't checked what mines worth for a while.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Out of curiousity I spec'd up a VW Tiguan R Line on the VW website but could only specify the 140BHP model with DSG box as the larger 177BHP only comes in manual. Once you add on the extras eg paint, 19'' wheels, leather etc.. it comes to around £36,000. The S Line starts at 33,830 but comes with the larger wheels, leather etc.. Is it me or is the VW getting close to S Line money??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts