Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know it's not an Audi in terms of quality marque and build, but the Mazda CX5 has been winning various awards and seems to come with a pretty top spec for about £10k less than a similar spec'd Q5.

Did anyone look at these before opting for Q5?
If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts and rationale.

Obviously doesn't even come close to a SQ5, so I'm comparing the 2.0 TDi here.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Reactions: dadio77

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have the 2.0 TDi and I didn't even consider one, its just not comparable as you say in brand, image etc.

My partners has an MX-5 which has been totally faultless in the 9 years we have had it, so I am not knocking the brand, its just not for me
. The CX5 isn't a bad looking car apart from the very bluff front end.

·
Banned
489 Posts
I'd compare the CX5 with the likes of the RAV4, 'Cashcow' and Kuga against which it's probably a good buy. No way is it up against the Q5 though!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
The 2 cars r on different pages,the mazdas residues will b no where near audis,so long term you won't save 10k 😄

·
Registered
768 Posts
I considered it, but when I looked at the interior I immediately eliminated from my list of potential new cars. Quite a pleasant looking exterior, and most likely very reliable. I'm maybe mistake, but don't you have to rotate the wheels every 6 months.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I considered it, but when I looked at the interior I immediately eliminated from my list of potential new cars. Quite a pleasant looking exterior, and most likely very reliable. I'm maybe mistake, but don't you have to rotate the wheels every 6 months.
My wheels rotate every day - be tricky if they didn't

·
Registered
768 Posts
My wheels rotate every day - be tricky if they didn't
Ok point well made! Bet they don't have so much fun on the CX5 forum.

Reactions: José

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a very good point about residuals. I'm in it for 5-8yrs, so would make a difference.
It is obviously a money saving thought, as Q5 is by far the better car.
It's a question of value.
The standard spec list for CX5 is impressive, albeit Mazda kit.
I'm had a couple of Audi's over the years, so would be v hard changing marque, but with young family I need to consider all options.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm with Jose in not having considered the CX5 - did however see an Infiniti in the works car park this week, which is another marque I'd not considered. Having a quick look it must have been the EX which is becoming the QX50, and it is a quite nice looking vehicle.

Must admit though I settled on the Q5 without really comparing to other vehicles - once I knew I wanted a 4x4/SUV I already knew the Q7 and X5 were too big, X3 too small and evoque too mrs. Dadio! (Sorry for hijacking your thread Dale!)

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
XC60 was the other thing we looked at.
Similar in all respects (price, quality etc).
For me the SQ5 obviously won over in power/handling (but the D3 or D4 would be similar to the 2.0 TDI).
Aside from this though is wasn't sure if I could go with the 'boring' Volvo... Maybe in another 30 years!
The Mrs is dead set on getting a Volvo as her next car though - they do have a great range of cars on offer.

Quattro is coming from an XC60 and Ransman used to have one before the Q5. They have both spoken highly of it on here before. Maybe PM them for a first hand comparison.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I owned a 2.0 SE Lux Geartronic and my thoughts are as follows compared to the Q5

XC60
- Pros
  • Most comfortable seats in the business
  • Better economy in 2 litre form than the 177PS Q5
  • More equipment as standard on the SE Lux
  • Better sound system as standard
  • Wing mirrors a better size
  • Cruise control buttons more ergonomic
  • The boot feels bigger than the Q5
  • This will be contentious - better looking to me than the Q5 :) (and infinitely better than the X3)
- Cons
  • Small display (sat nav)
  • Road holding not as good as Q5 in S-Line spec (not lowered suspension), but as good as Q5 SE
  • High depreciation from new
Q5
- Pros
  • Cabin quality slightly better, but not significantly so
  • Stop/Start as standard
  • Better experience with Audi dealers (certainly better coffee :) )
  • Auto wipers work really well
  • Low depreciation
Cons
  • The cost of options!
  • Wing mirrors too large (but you do get used to them, eventually)

Summary
Overall the Q5 in S-Line spec is the best package but at a price. Anyone prepared to buy a 6-12 month old XC60 would be getting a heck of a lot of car for their money and would not be disappointed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I owned a CX9 in Australia which is not for sale in the UK and it is about the size of a Q7.
I kept it longer than any car I owned (3 years) as the build quality was excellent and it had all the toys we pay extra for with Audi.
I briefly had a CX7 when I came back to the UK and again I was impressed with it apart from being petrol and chewed through fuel like nobodies business. I think the CX7 is more comparative to the Q5 size wise and now there being diesels I think they are a worthy contendor if the budget doesn't allow a decent spec Audi.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well saw and drove both this weekend.
I really wanted to dislike the Mazda, but they have done a good job. Loads of kit in the sport nav model.
That said, it took about 2 mins with the Audi to make decision.
They are just so nice.
Picked up a 2011 S line 2.0 TDi with most toys inc pana roof and B&O.
Very happy. Just waitin for all the paperwork, should be collecting next Sunday.
Only thing it didn't have was the rear bench seat plus, but not many 2nd hand ones do.

Cheers for all the help guys.
I'll post some pic when I get it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looked briefly at the MX5 and the Kuga but the Q5 is in a different league - the problem is we get spoilt once there!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts