Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a curious query here. It appears there are many more postings generally regarding ownership of the SQ5 than a Q5. Is it because people are more passionate and interested in all aspects of owning an SQ5 or do not many Q5 owners subscribe to discussion forums?

This is not a crisism just an observation. As I await very eagerly my first ever new car for next regestation delivery I enjoy reading all posts whichever model they are referring to and one thing very clear by all postings, I have made a good choice regarding my new car........ :) .......

·
Registered
700 Posts
Good Morning Mobydick, i think its a bit of both really, it seems the majority of SQ5 owners seem to be on this forum, where as not all Q5 owners are, although i have been a member for over 2 years and enjoyed it very much before my SQ5 it has certinly got more interesting for me since the launch of the SQ,its probably down to the fact drivers are a lot more excited with this new car and its more of a drivers car with the power at hand than the standard Q,
Also for me the initial wait of 9 months for this new car from September 2012 got me more and more into this forum as new info and figures were popping up all the time as we all eagerly waited for the launch,

Hope all that makes sense, its only my opinion,

all the best Merlin

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The SQ people are just more vocal.
SQ is identical to the Q5, so 99/100 the context is applicable (the 1% is the exhaust and the engine) everything else is just a trim.
its made on the same line with every other Q5.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Its a combination of things...

As Merlin says, I think the SQ has definitely brought more enthusiasts to the model and that type of owner is more likely to go on a forum. Quite a few members with a Q5 already have upgraded, and I put this down to 2 things;
1. As a member they are likely a car enthusiast and so the SQ appeals (a lot of members seemed to own their Q5 as the sensible car that the other half uses in the week, but they drive at the weekend, this again adds appeal to this type of person that likes their cars as the SQ is fun yet still practical)
2. As a Q5 owner they know its a great platform and so the SQ will just be awesome with its extra power

It's a new model so there will always be a buzz, this will subside (and already has to some extent - May/June was mad on here with the first deliveries).

There are also a lot of options, the Q5 has 3 spec levels making people more likely to just pick one and add one or two things, whereas the SQ5 is based on the SE basic spec, yet is the 'range topper' making most buyers expect more things as standard. So you are faced with a dawning list of options and are not sure which ones are important or not, as such more people are likely to seek online advice that otherwise may not have bothered if it was highly spec'd in the first place.

Finally, there are a number of confusing/misleading bits of information/options (such as ADS and if it changes suspension, and the fact there is a TDI and TFSI variant). This again has driven more people than usual to seek online advice, particularly as the dealerships for the most part seem so ill informed.

Again, all just my opinion from 6 months of observing!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah I agree with Jose. I'm currently a Q5 owner but now have an SQ on order which has led me to be more active on the forum, just like I was prior to ordering my Q. I think there are a number of people in the same boat on the forum.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great replies thanks all.

In my ignorance I was beginning to think the Q5 was on it's way out in preference to the superiority of the SQ5.I would love an SQ5 it is an awesome looking piece of kit however price and practicality dictate otherwise and I hope my Q5 order lives up to my expectation.

I just bloody wish Audi would not make us wait to damn long!! If it were a shop I would have walked out ages ago!!

Keep posting my friends.......

·
Banned
842 Posts
Wish the SQ was out when I bought mine.

Went back and forth over the 2.0 v 3.0 TDI but didn't feel the 3 litre was deserving of an extra £8k.

Whilst the SQ is more again from the reviews here it most certainly is worth the extra and looking at the real world reports on here the running costs are no more than a 2 litre.

If I had my time again would I have ordered an SQ - yes
Do I regret my decision to buy a reasonably specced "normal" Q5 - absolutely not

I do keep my cars for a relatively long period of time so I hope Audi have continued to innovation and have developed the 1lite tri-turbo petrol that sounds like a V8 with 500bhp and does 99mpg by then

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
No matter how nice your car, it seems there will always be another option, just a little better ............. and usually a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only other car I was debating over, was the rs4, but decided the sq was more practical for the same money. So, few weeks back went on audi, only to find the rs now has £7k deposit contribution, oh well, I'll still have fun giving the uninitiated a surprise in my unbadged sq ;-)

·
Registered
76 Posts
That said, if I win the lottery, I'm going for an rs6 plus for my runabout!

·
Registered
433 Posts
The Q as mentioned before has 3 levels and choose which one you want and extras and engines. However the SQ has a single platform and then choose your options.
Buying a car at any price is your choice and how you want to pay, some deals are made as company cars and some are on HP, I am not sure on the % that are bought out right.
If I were on a fuel allowance I may have purchased the 3 litre diesel engine, but I purchased the 2 litre for the fuel economy and the resale value.
As mentioned above the forum is for both the Q and SQ, the guys with the later are just sharing their experiences of their vehicles, new range of toys.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's the same on most fora, those with the highest spec (highest cost) models tend to be more vocal. Those of us with more modest (SE TFSI 225ps) models are quieter. Or should that be smug. I can get a real world 32 mpg from mine and performance is not far short in real world conditions (e.g. overtakes and time exposed to danger). I can also wade mine (if I need to) to a decent depth. I also find the standard suspension (with standard wheels) a little more forgiving over the cart tracks that pass for roads in this part of the world. But the Q5 is a working vehicle in our house and has to transport dogs, logs, compost, plants, muddy things that need to go to and from the allotment and act as a barge for my hobby, preserved steam railways. So it would be a crime to use an SQ5 for all that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think a lot of members are now on the second car and I guess the natural progression is to move up the ladder, we originally wanted to go for a 3.0TDI S-Line plus but our dealer pulled some strings and we ended up ordering the SQ5 in March.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with many comments here and understand the enthusiasm for both the vehicle and it's uniqueness. The SQ5 is an awesome picked of automotive machinery and wouldn't object to it sitting in my drive either.

But I eagerly anticipate my new car but cannot help but feel it is a long long time away so keep writing to keep my enthusiasm going until I can participate as an owner.....

Reactions: José

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I still don't think its any better than the sline model.
faster - yes, but not as fast as the paper numbers suggest. Better - no. its just like any other Q5.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Snowman your such a down on your SQ5, killing the moods of all of us ;( haha

Reactions: José

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Haha but like you say its another trim, so surely it's all the same anyway?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts