Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some of you Q5 owners help ? I'm thinking of buying a Q5 but want to cut through the dealer's crap and get some honesty. I've had an A6 2L TDI Avant from new since 2008 - 60K no faults except for 2 blown tail lights and still drives/sounds/feels like it did when I left the forecourt with 10 miles on the clock. My problem (not the car's) is that I live in rural Scotland and the roads in winter are formidable and the A6 can not cope with the amount of snow we get. I've looked at other 4x4's in the same price bracket of the Avant but few makers (VW excluded) come close to Audi's build quality. So I'm interestesd in tales of snow, drifts, ice etc (not London Type heavy snow i.e. a hard frost to most of us) and how a basic 2ltr Quatro Q5 copes on standard tyres.

The Q5 looks great, feels good but what will it do the the bleak mid winter ?

Thanks and Rgds
Stefano

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Stefano, I get my Q5 in about 3 weeks and it will come with 20" Alloys and summer tyres, these are useless in the snow so I've purchased some 18s with winter tyres and will swap over in November. Audi also do a winter wheel package with winter tyres (17s) specifically made for the Q5 which retails at £1180 ish. I've read lots of reviews about the Q5's performance in the snow and 95% state that on summer tyres it lacks grip and will present issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
But it is incredible with winter tires on. Make sure you get some good ones though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Stefano

I too live in rural Scotland and changed from a Freelander 2 to the Q5 last August. On the 27th of November we had 6 inches of snow and then another 4 feet of snow over the next three days. Mine is a 3.0 ltr Tdi on 18" wheels with standard tyres and I managed to get out of the driveway and around the streets but the A9 was blocked so couldn't get any further. I did get out a few days later and had no problems at all in the snow and never got stuck once. I also travelled up to Braemar at New Year and up to Glenshee a few times and again was never stuck but the car didn't feel as sure footed as the Freelander. In late February I cahnged onto a set of Audi's winter wheels and tyres but never really had much more deep snow to drive in but it did feel a bit more planted to the road. I would deffinately recomend the Q5 but the Freelander was better in the real deep snow.

I changed from the Freelander because it kept breaking down and have never had a single problem with the Q5 in nearly 40,000 miles.

If you can get the 3.0 ltr tdi, its awesome and I still get over 35 to the gallon.

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who took the time to reply - it sounds like winter tyres are the answer

All the best
Stefano

·
Registered
273 Posts
Absolutely! Winter tyre package kept me moving when all roads were closed in the Borders last winter. When out with MR team for a week of severe weather the Q5 never let me down.

G

·
What is the difference between winter tires and normal ones? Sorry I am noob and I have never visited in any winter region. One more thing if winter tires are better quality then can we use it at normal places.

·
Registered
578 Posts
joshuatim11 the standard tyres supplied by Audi are usually summer tyres, these offer the best performance in warm weathers. Summer tyres have a rubber compound which works best at temperatures above 10 degrees. These summer tyres however seem to freeze up in sub zero temperatures so they effectively fill with snow and then become lethal.Winter tyres on the other hand have a rubber compound which works best in sub zero temperatures and therefore allow the snow to pass through the tyre and offer great grip on ice. You can use winter tyres anywhere where it's likely to freeze although its not recommended to leave them on in the summer. A lot of people here have two sets of wheels, one with summer tyres and one with winter tyres.

·
Registered
963 Posts
For us southerners......get a set of Snowsocks and bung them in the boot in the winter months for the odd bad snowfall.

A good compromise would be All season tyres..........Not sure if these are becoming more readily available in the UK? They are often fitted as standard else where in the world. So can't understand why not here too!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nokian WR G2 tyres are the only ones I have found which are a Winter tyre but suitable for all year use and have good reviews in dealing with snow.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Nokian WR G2 tyres are the only ones I have found which are a Winter tyre but suitable for all year use and have good reviews in dealing with snow.
Nobody has yet made a tire that is good in the snow that is good in dry and tempreture above 12 degrees.
The structure of winter tires have a laminated surface and summer smooth surface, winter tires have 60% more natural rubber and therefore more expensive.
Winter tires on temperature above 16 degrees on the asphalt rapid wearing of the surface 50% higher than at low temperature.
Summer tires are bad at low temperatures because of the composition because they have less natural rubber and become hard.
If there were a universal tire for snow and summer stopped the manufacture specifically for the summer and winter

·
Registered
578 Posts
@spijun The WR G2, Nokian Tyres' third generation in the unique line of "All-Weather Plus" tires, offers the best performance in every season. The asymmetrical inside-out tread pattern allows our engineers to design different areas of the tread to focus on the different driving conditions you will encounter throughout the year. So while seasons may change, your choice of all-weather tires remains the same: Nokian WR G2.

Read the reviews, these tyres are good all year round and are made for European climates where we have moderate winters and summers without any extremes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know it adds cost and it is difficult to store them but I would still rather have an all out winter tyre for winter and a summer tyre that performs well for the summer. The Q5 is not an out and out off roader and with winter tyres fitted for the summer it wont handle as well as it does with the propper rubber. By their nature all year round tyres are going to be a compromise for both seasons but will suit some people. I have had 30,000 miles out of my summer tyres with still some life left in them and I dont think the compromise all year round tyres would last as well.

Not trying to start an argument, just stating my opinion.

·
Banned
801 Posts
@'blake1001Q5
Ok I agree with your opinion but just please tell me which part of Europe with moderate winters and summers without any extremes.
I'm not saying it is a bad tire but please compare the test braking and tires with summer or winter tires: summer on the asphalt, the summer wet, winter on the asphalt in the winter on snow and you will be all clear how the difference in meters that you'll surprise
In fact, tell me what you think of as the "summers without any extremes"
As far as I know Portuga, Spain, Italy, France, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Germany, Slovakia with 25-36 degree summer temperatures
I live in Sarajevo, Bosnia-where these days, 30-38 degrees in winter temperature is minus-2 to minus-15. I think it's too big a difference in temperature for any tire
All the best

·
Registered
578 Posts
In England we see snow for a week of the year on average and summer for a week on average too! -10 degrees in the Midlands in Winter and +28 has been about the max this year. I have Summer tyres on 20" and winters on 18" but I think what Nokian are doing is interesting and perhaps the next time around performance will be good all year round. You have to remember that the summer tyres supplied on Audi's in the UK are diabolical in the snow, to the extreme where you can't use the car safely in snow. I'd rather have Nokian WR's on my car all year round than Pirelli Summers - at least I could use the car 365 days a year as intended, last year it spent 9 days on the drive due to snow.

·
Banned
801 Posts
This is just my opinion I have nothing against other opinions
Do you understand me the wrong but I am a professional driver and before I was involved and rally races so I have relavant experience.
Most manufacturers of new cars come with summer tires for winter tires are 30-40% more expensive than the summer tires .
I'm always up for a combination of summer and winter tires, not universal summer-winter.
Of course it is quite expensive, but safety comes first

·
Registered
64 Posts
Up until last year and reading an article in EVO magazine where two identical Jaguar XFR cars were tested and one had winter tyres i had always thought that the difference with winter tyres was just a chunky tread to let you drive in the snow. An extract from the article is here http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/248524/winter_tyres_tested.html and if after reading this you dont fit winter tyres if you can afford the cost then its up to you.

I am looking to fit winter tyres to my wifes Skoda Fabia this year and will definately fit the winter wheels and tyres I bought for my Q5 once the weather cools down. If you are keeping a car for a few years then the extra cost is not very much as you will get better tyre life out of both sets if you swap them at the correct time. The most important part is to swap back to the summer tyres before it gets too warm in spring or you will wear out the winter tyres too fast.

I am deffinately a convert to winter tyres and have tried to preach this to as many people as possible already this year. Just read the EVO article and tell me you dont agree.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The purposed built tyres are built using a special rubber compound which is optimised for temperatures below 7 degrees centigrade. The special tread design allows that to cut through snow with precision, grip and control.
In cold weather, conventional tyres become stiff and less flexible. The compounds used in winter tyres remain softer and more flexible offering better grip. The tread pattern optimises water displacement and the additional grooves 'sipes' located within the tread blocks interlock with the surface to maximise traction.
Grip on roads covered in snow, ice and slush or high levels of surface water is improved by up to 60 per cent, and braking distances can be reduced by 20 per cent - two car lengths.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm into the idea of Winter wheels/tyres in principle, however the thought of shelling out £1,200 to my main dealer isn't a particularly attractive proposition.

Is there anywhere else I should look before biting the bullet?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts