Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just had a few days away on holiday in our new and first caravan. Car tows it very easily. Plenty of power to overtake when necessary.

Steady 50mph in 7th gear........can't complain

Hardly know it's there tbh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Rog,
Great to hear you are on the road with your caravan. Where did you venture on your first trip?
My Q5 is now expected mid Sept (two weeks later) since I changed colour from Quartz Grey to Lava Grey. Since the production was already scheduled I gather I am quite lucky that the dealer managed to get the change from Audi.

How did the nose weight work out once you loaded the Bailey? I assume you have a nose weight device.

BrianH

uote name='Rog' timestamp='1309437340' post='12496']
We've just had a few days away on holiday in our new and first caravan. Car tows it very easily. Plenty of power to overtake when necessary.

Steady 50mph in 7th gear........can't complain

Hardly know it's there tbh

[/quote]

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi Brian,

We went to Bladon Chains at Woodstock. 20 minute walk from Woodstock,Blenheim Palace and Churchill's grave. So we had some lovely walks and nice weather.
Very nice site, but avoid the pitch I chose (89).....worst one for levelling apparently
, lesson learnt. Thankfully I had one of those Milenco aluminium levellers which was able to raise it up to level it. It was at it's max height! So no way a normal levelling ramp would have worked
phew

Mover was brilliant. Made putting on the Al-ko wheel lock a doddle! I would really recommend the Milenco aluminium leveller as it works very well with the wheel lock. I can't see how you could fit the wheel lock and mess with a normal levelling ramp....you'd be there for ever. So my method was lock on and then level.....doddle.

We also had an Isabella Magnum Concept porch awning.......again I was well impressed with how easy it was to put up and the fit cleared the windows, lockers and door perfectly. Well worth the cost.

The NW worked out perfectly in the end. Between ordering and delivery Bailey moved the battery box back behind the under bed locker on our Peg2 Verona! Not sure if they have done it on any other models to address the issue that a lot of people are having.

So with 2 light weight gas bottles and the chest of drawers in the front, mover just in front of the wheels, spare wheel in normal position and a 110amp battery in the new battery box.....I put the awning on top and very slightly behind the axle and acheived 80kg on the NW Guage (Milenco one seems to be the best) with ease.

Going to get one of those portable weigh bridge devices soon, just to reassure me that I'm not overweight......don't think I was.......but it will save going to a public weighbridge.

So it was a good first time experience. Off to the Wirral in August and Castleton in October. There will be 5 of us then. The wife talked me into another puppy
, so us and 3 German Spitz.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rog,
Thanks for the interesting and useful detail, your tips on equipment will help me choose the right kit when I eventually get my show on the road. Unfortunately we will be unable to go to the NEC show in October this year since we will be away in Florida - so will miss viewing the 2012 ranges.
Also reassuring that the NW issue is actually quite manageable.
Now how about a photo of your Q5 plus Caravan plus your three Spitz dogs - my daughter really loves them!
Regards, Brian

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just got back from a round trip of 650 miles to the Yorkshire Dales from home in Dorset towing our Lunar Clubman ES caravan. My Q5 is a 170 TDI manual and the caravan around 1500kg. Very impressed! Towed most of the way on motorway and dual carriageways in 6th gear with only 2 occasions when I had to change down to 5th because of inconsiderate lorries blocking lane 2 on hills. Cruised at 60+ and 50+ as required by the law and averaged 27mpg overall. No complaints at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just got back to Blackburn this evening after leaving Weymouth this morning, pulling a 2007 Swift Challenger 530 with my 2.0 TDI (170), Stronic - 300 miles coming out at 27mpg.

The boot and fuel tank were full, caravan approx 1500kg, kids in the back, wife in front - fully loaded!!

Approx 240 miles motorway and the rest on A roads, in rather heavy bank holiday traffic most of the way, not exceeding 60mpg.

Impressed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts