Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Audi Q5 S line 50 tfsie with Comfort & Sound pack and Panoramic Sunroof
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After just over 2 months ownership I thought I would share my experiences,so far, living with my Q5 50 Hybrid.

It is my first experience with an Audi automatic gear box and I have to say find it very smooth and easy to use. I just keep Drive Select in “Auto” and let it get on with it. All in all it is a very comfortable and refined driving experience with changes between electric and petrol drives virtually imperceptible. Power uptake with the electric motor is instant and makes for very fast yet near silent acceleration. Push your right foot hard and the petrol engine cuts in seamlessly. (I know some people talk of delays in the gear change with these boxes but coming from a manual box I find this is not an issue).

A couple of minor gripes: Firstly, there is an inconsistency when putting the gear lever in “Park” the electronic park brake sometimes comes on automatically but other times does not. I haven’t figured out yet whether this is a glitch or if I’m just not following the right sequence. Secondly, when driving over certain uneven roads, usually turning at junctions, there is a creaking noise from either the drivers door or the sunroof. My Q5 was one of the last to be released with a sunroof and my guess is that this is the culprit. Only happens in very particular circumstances and the car is otherwise pleasingly free from any rattles. I will be raising this with the dealer.

Spec wise I have the S Line with Comfort & Sound and find this perfect for my needs. The only item I miss from my previous Q3 is the speed limit recognition symbol in the main instrument cluster. Not sure if this is down to the “chip” issue or was never available (think maybe now part of a seperate pack).

Now, the important bit for a lot of potential Hybrid owners, my “mpg”experience - this is where it becomes complicated!

I had an Andersen A2 charger installed when I got the car and at full charge the battery registers 32-34 miles range which I have found fairly accurate. I am now in the process of changing over to “off-peak” which, on current tariffs, will reduce my electric charging cost by about 50%. I charge only at most once a day so this will work for me.

My journeys comprise primarily short trips which are completed on electric only. By default the car computer records petrol consumption at 313 mpg when running on pure electric with battery consumption ranging between a low of 1.9 miles/kwh to a high of 5.9 miles/kwh.

In addition I have one weekly round trip of 40 miles, primarily dual carriageway and motorway, where I set the car on auto hybrid with the destination set in the sat nav. Consistently the car has managed to achieve the round trip with the battery hitting zero within the last 1-2 miles of home. On these journeys the car computer records petrol consumption of 250-300mpg and electric consumption at 3m/kwh.

In addition to the above I have also undertaken two round trip journeys of 140 miles. (These two journeys will have eaten into my overall ppm calculation below). Using again auto hybrid with the sat nav the outward leg of 70 miles recorded petrol consumption down to 67mpg and electric consumption at 6.1m/kwh on the car computer. Battery recorded empty within 1 mile of destination. I didn’t bother with recharging for the homeward trip and was effectively driving with a depleted battery, relying instead on any natural recharge the battery might pick up. The car computer on this occasion recorded petrol consumption at 57mpg and electric at 5.7m/kwh for the 70 miles. I was actually surprised how often the electric motor cut in on these return journeys. These results were consistent for both times I did the trip.

As you will have seen the dual fuel figures quoted in the car’s computer are all over the place and difficult to make much sense of. They appear highly susceptible to journey distance/driving style and perhaps the best assessment is on long term fuel usage for a more accurate cost. To date I have covered 990 miles and spent:
Electric - 212kw @ 22p = £46
Petrol top up to bring tank back to where it was at start for accurate comparison - 29 litres @ £1.62! = £48
Total cost, £94 = 9.5ppm
I’m not sure what a Q5 45 tfsi might achieve but taking 27-30mpg (and £1.62/litre, which is now history) cost would be 27.5ppm, so about a third of the fuel cost overall. (I am not factoring in any additional capital cost of the Hybrid version or the one off charger cost which is a lifestyle decision).

In conclusion I am very pleased with the car - it is comfortable, refined and fast when needed but yet still economical. Hybrid works for me (it may not for all) and I hope this is of some help to those still considering which fuel is best for their circumstances.

·
Premium Member
Ordered: Q5 55 tfsi e Competition, all boxes ticked, Navarra Blue
188 Posts
Thank you for the update on your Q5 50 hybrid, it was very informative. My Q5 55 hybrid is currently on a ship and hopefully I will take ownership within the next 8 weeks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your 55 will be an absolute joy to drive if my 50 is anything to go by. Hopefully no further delays for you👍

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Can you please help me with a couple of questions:

How do you set the maximum charge to 80% or 100%?

Do you have the new, higher capacity battery?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you please help me with a couple of questions:

How do you set the maximum charge to 80% or 100%?

Do you have the new, higher capacity battery?
As fas as know there is no setting that I have found, either in the car or the charger, to set these parameters. I remember reading somewhere that because Hybrid batteries are so much smaller than full electric this “recommended restriction“ does not apply. I think anyway if the 20/80 rule was applied as for larger full EVs it would leave us with even more limited range. Interestingly, when the the battery is showing as fully depleted the car will still always start in EV mode.

Battery capacity is a bit like the consumption figure - confusing! I have the newer 17.9 kWh battery with net useable capacity quoted at 14.4 kwh. The most I have ever actually been able to put into it is 15.9 kwh from “empty” to 100%. This is fairly consistent so I assume there is a built in buffer to protect the battery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not a hybrid owner, but your comment on parking brake engagement chimes with my experience with my SQ5. I haven't paid enough attention yet to notice if it's related to whether the auto-brake switch is activated or not, but it can be a little disconcerting when the car moves slightly when you've just pressed the park switch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Only had my new Q5 for just over a week but I agree that the parking brake doesn’t seem to operate as I am used to from our Q3 or Tiguan. The slight roll on switch off reminds me to check it is engaged as well as the P button on the gear selector.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to see it’s not just me with the parking brake issue. Happened again this morning - went on automatically when I went into “P” first time but hasn’t worked again since. Fairly certain I’m following the same sequence each time.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,174 Posts
Battery capacity is a bit like the consumption figure - confusing! I have the newer 17.9 kWh battery with net useable capacity quoted at 14.4 kwh. The most I have ever actually been able to put into it is 15.9 kwh from “empty” to 100%. This is fairly consistent so I assume there is a built in buffer to protect the battery.
You probably end up putting in more kWh then useable capacity due to charging efficiency, some of that energy will be lost as heat energy from the internal resistance of the battery when charging.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Glad to see it’s not just me with the parking brake issue. Happened again this morning - went on automatically when I went into “P” first time but hasn’t worked again since. Fairly certain I’m following the same sequence each time.
Hi All, I had the same experience when I first had my Q5 then discovered a section in the manual that explains the parking brake will come on when you select “P” if the car senses you have stopped on a gradient.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I currently have a Q3 with both hill hold assist and a parking brake. If you come to a stop on the level or on any gradient then if you keep the brake pedal pressed for a couple of seconds then the hill hold assist is activated. This is active until the accelerator pedal is pressed. The car does not know if this is a transitory or permanent halt. When you put the gear lever in to park then the parking brake is activated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi All, I had the same experience when I first had my Q5 then discovered a section in the manual that explains the parking brake will come on when you select “P” if the car senses you have stopped on a gradient.
That maybe explains it though I’m fairly sure in my case the parking brake will intermittently engage when I select P on the flat of my driveway. I’ll see what happens when I’m next out. I did prefer it on my Q3 where the parking brake always activated, without exception, when the ignition was switched off. Slightly different to mwcltd’s experience as my Q3 was a manual.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same here on wife’s 2021 Q3 and previous 2018 VW Tiguan autos. Never had to touch the parking brake switch as the parking brake always engages automatically when the ignition is switched off with the gear selector in P. Seems a slightly better set up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same here on wife’s 2021 Q3 and previous 2018 VW Tiguan autos. Never had to touch the parking brake switch as the parking brake always engages automatically when the ignition is switched off with the gear selector in P. Seems a slightly better set up.
Must then be a Q5 quirk and not a good one🙁

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just following up on the parking brake issue and can now confirm what TGR says though I can’t find reference in the manual - going to have to read it again.

Took the car out yesterday and parked on three occasions on a very slight slope and each time the parking brake came on automatically. Drove home and parked in driveway, which is flat and the parking brake did not automatically engage. Seems a strange set up and would much prefer the old system where it always came on automatically but there you go, that’s progress for you. Maybe Audi can’t get the right chip!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have an older Q5 and it does not auto engage when I park on the flat and I would not want it to.
I suppose it’s all in what you’re used to. I prefer the convenience of it engaging on all occasions when I stop and exit the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts