Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am picking up my new Q5 in March and was going to have running boards fitted to reduce the possibility of dents from people opening their car door on my new pride an joy. Audi have quoted £1,500 parts and labour. Ouch! I have been looking at purchasing some online but they are predominately made from stainless steel, which will eventually corrode and look unsightly. Can anyone tell me if the genuine Audi running boards are made from an aluminium alloy or stainless steel? I like the look of the genuine items, I just don't like the price - I know that makes me a skin flint.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
This thread suggests you can get OEM for half that price... http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/1828-running-boards/

The brochure price is £326 per side, so it seems crazy that they are charging that much extra for labour. The £200 from the above seems a lot more reasonable, I would shout at your dealer, or get another dealer to quote you and have them do the work (make sure you tell your currently dealer you do this and you know they were ripping you off).

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/PriceAndSpecGuides/AccessoriesGuides/q5-accessories-guide.pdf Page 9...

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Reactions: ray.afzal

·
Registered
814 Posts
They look pretty good,

I have an 8 yr old daughter, and sounds like they're helpful to kids.
I'm getting a glacier white Q5, and think they just might add a subtle bit of contrast on the appearance.
Do they add much, if anything, to the overall width of the vehicle, as in past the wheel arches ? (I have a tight garage)

Any frontal views of them fitted available ?

Thanks

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
They look pretty good,

I have an 8 yr old daughter, and sounds like they're helpful to kids.
I'm getting a glacier white Q5, and think they just might add a subtle bit of contrast on the appearance.
Do they add much, if anything, to the overall width of the vehicle, as in past the wheel arches ? (I have a tight garage)

Any frontal views of them fitted available ?

Thanks
They are certainly inside the width of folded mirrors...

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Yes Jose is right,there no wider than folded mirrors,il take a frontal pic 2mro,also Jose are u going 4 the led fog lights,these standard look so pony 👻

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yes Jose is right,there no wider than folded mirrors,il take a frontal pic 2mro,also Jose are u going 4 the led fog lights,these standard look so pony ������
I still can't decide - they do look crap - but I do like to see in the fog!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
On that subject,various people hav remarked how crap the level lo our head lights are,the distance it they light up is pony,compared to other cars I've had,very disappointing ,sadly I don't think there's any solution 👻

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
On that subject,various people hav remarked how crap the level lo our head lights are,the distance it they light up is pony,compared to other cars I've had,very disappointing ,sadly I don't think there's any solution í ½í±»
They are fairly low, but I have high beam assist so full beam is on more often than not. And they have motorway mode so over ~65mph, it adjusts the throw of the dipped beam to be almost twice as far without dazzling other road users - if you are on a quiet, unlit bit of M-way slow right down then speed up again and you will see them 'morph' as you reach that speed - it's pretty cool. Shame you can't hack it to always be in that mode!
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/advice/glossary/motorway_beam.browser.html

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
768 Posts
They are fairly low, but I have high beam assist so full beam is on more often than not. And they have motorway mode so over ~65mph, it adjusts the throw of the dipped beam to be almost twice as far without dazzling other road users - if you are on a quiet, unlit bit of M-way slow right down then speed up again and you will see them 'morph' as you reach that speed - it's pretty cool. Shame you can't hack it to always be in that mode!
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/advice/glossary/motorway_beam.browser.html

Jose, is the motorway mode a standard feature on the Q5/SQ5 with xenons? (Reason I ask is that I didn't notice any difference with mine last time I was over 65mph plus plus). Thanks

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Jose, is the motorway mode a standard feature on the Q5/SQ5 with xenons? (Reason I ask is that I didn't notice any difference with mine last time I was over 65mph plus plus). Thanks
Pretty sure they are standard on xenon equipped Q/SQ's yea. TBH I didn't notice it until the other day after I read about it and specifically looked out for it next time I was alone on the road (you can barely tell when there are street lights and other cars about). It's subtle but does make quite a difference.

Reactions: Hectorshouse

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Daza,
The pics of side steps are great. I will definitely be getting a set for my Q5 that was built last week and is now sat at the port waiting to sail.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
The steps took 5 weeks to come,so u mite want 2 get your order in,so I've got wen car arrives ,cris 01355 22 30 52

·
Registered
814 Posts
I noticed that the Running boards are no longer mentioned on the on-line accessories site.
Later in the day I was in the Audi dealership, and asked about the possibility of having them fitted when car arrives in March/April.

My answer, from the sales manager, was 'No, not at the moment, there are 'issues' with the S-line/S-line plus models and can't be fitted to those'

So, seem to be going around in circles here, I understand that the car comes with standard suspension, and it's not lowered, (only on the SQ5)

So what's going on ?? maybe just the slightly different body shape/profile?/

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I noticed that the Running boards are no longer mentioned on the on-line accessories site.
Later in the day I was in the Audi dealership, and asked about the possibility of having them fitted when car arrives in March/April.

My answer, from the sales manager, was 'No, not at the moment, there are 'issues' with the S-line/S-line plus models and can't be fitted to those'

So, seem to be going around in circles here, I understand that the car comes with standard suspension, and it's not lowered, (only on the SQ5)

So what's going on ?? maybe just the slightly different body shape/profile?/
The bumpers and body skirts are different on the S-Line/S-Line Plus vs the SE - as such Audi don't make mud guards for the former either so I can imagine the side steps may have a similar problem - seems odd though considering they have been around for a LONG time now - you would expect these kind of issues to have been found years ago (as the Q5 platform was released in 2009!).
Just go for the 3rd party ones and save yourself a buck as well!

·
Registered
814 Posts
The bumpers and body skirts are different on the S-Line/S-Line Plus vs the SE - as such Audi don't make mud guards for the former either so I can imagine the side steps may have a similar problem - seems odd though considering they have been around for a LONG time now - you would expect these kind of issues to have been found years ago (as the Q5 platform was released in 2009!).
Just go for the 3rd party ones and save yourself a buck as well!
Yes, they were ridiculously expensive anyway, about £900 with fitting and new jack etc..
The mad thing is, if you look at the Q7 configurator, the running boards appear ONLY on the S-line plus !!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
2 be fair £900 supply and fit from main dealer ain't bad , my dealer was 6 hour labour + vat + cost of steps !total £1800,crazy price, I'm happy with my total supply and fitt £380 😁

·
Registered
814 Posts
2 be fair £900 supply and fit from main dealer ain't bad , my dealer was 6 hour labour + vat + cost of steps !total £1800,crazy price, I'm happy with my total supply and fitt £380 ������
Yes, I've seen some decent looking ones advertised, very tempting.

What's involved with the fitting of them though?
I mean, if a 3rd party starts drilling holes etc under the car to fix them on, isn't there a danger of warranty issues, as they're not OEM and not fitted buy Audi?
Wouldn't this be especially true if the car has sunroof, being that Audi wouldn't install them in those cases?

I haven't got a clue myself, so interested to hear opinions, if there's no such problems expected I'll just buy a pair when car is delivered.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
There was no drilling needed ,the wholes are already there,the hardest part is cutting a special under sheeting on underside of car,it was a 3 hour job,my last post on price was incorrect,the 3 rd party labour was £300, and steps were £180,as for Audi not fitting with sunroof,I was told that the weight issue only applied to the sq5 petrol version,and as 4 warranty issues they said me putting aftermarket ones does not affect my warranty,I done a lot of looking 4 steps and that was the cheapest 1s that are the same looking as factory ,and are sold as oem ,they do help getting in and out 4 the kids and elders,and give a much more aggressive look 🔣

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ok, sounds really good, and great privc compared to Audi

Is it ok ask what make & who supplied them?
Obviously you're happy with them, which is a good recommendation, and would save a lot of sifting through the dodgy ones.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts