Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Q5 still comes with roof bars free of charge?

Doesn't say in the brochure i have but they used to do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll see next weekend

·
Banned
801 Posts
Audi provides free roof bars because of this: Roof rack detection

For the first time in an SUV, the Audi Q5 has the ability to detect if a factory supplied roof rack is mounted on the vehicle. This information is used by the ESP control logic.
A roof rack has a significant effect on the center of gravity height of a vehicle. The control characteristics of the ESP system in the Audi Q5 are adapted to the change in center of gravity height.
A Hall sensor, connected to the ABS Control Module J104 by a discrete line, is integrated in the standard roof rail.The cross bars (also standard) have an integrated
permanent magnet which triggers a corresponding sensor signal when cross bars are mounted.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Spijun.

I was aware of this system and the provision of free roofbars but got to thinking about it this morning as the courtesy Q5 i currently have from Audi doesn't have any.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Someone had them away!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Audi provides free roof bars because of this: Roof rack detection

For the first time in an SUV, the Audi Q5 has the ability to detect if a factory supplied roof rack is mounted on the vehicle. This information is used by the ESP control logic.
A roof rack has a significant effect on the center of gravity height of a vehicle. The control characteristics of the ESP system in the Audi Q5 are adapted to the change in center of gravity height.
A Hall sensor, connected to the ABS Control Module J104 by a discrete line, is integrated in the standard roof rail.The cross bars (also standard) have an integrated
permanent magnet which triggers a corresponding sensor signal when cross bars are mounted.

This amuses me so much that Audi feel the need to alter the ESP when the roof bars are fitted because apparently I am altering the centre of gravity of the vehicle so drastically. Well if I mount the roof bars (about 10kg) and put a pair of skis on top (say 5kg) I haven't really affected the centre of gravity of a vehicle that weighs about 2000kg with passengers.

I do wish car manufacturers would stop giving artistic license to electronics and software developers to fit cheap that we don't need; vanity lights FOC would have been a much better idea than this crappy system.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have the bars, but not the storage bag for them - I guess that must have gone missing as I picked mine up second hand - just one of those annoyances I guess

·
Registered
31 Posts
spijun,

I noticed, when cross bars are installed, steering felt more tight and firm. Steering was the only point of unsatisfaction with my Q5. Can you check with VCDS if anything is changing in J104 or steering module when with and without the cross bars installed (different status of sensor)? I believe not only ABS responce/settings are changing but more (including steering)

I've sold my Q5, therefore can not do that myself. I've got A4 FL now with the same feeling in steering (maybe a bit better due to sports suspension). I was wondering if one can adapt J104 to get it into the same mode as Q5 with sensor on the roof activated - steering would get more to my taste.

·
Registered
119 Posts
hi Franky, I think Spijun has been banished, so hopefully someone else will be able to help you. I have absolutely no idea even what you are asking!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi Franky, I think Spijun has been banished, so hopefully someone else will be able to help you. I have absolutely no idea even what you are asking!!!
Hi, would appreciate if someone with Q5 and VCDS in hand could perform tests to see if VCDS registers changes in ABS and Steering modules: when without and without cross bars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts