Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all, just a query to find out if this has happened to anyone who owns a q5. I have a 2016 Q5 2.0 TDI 190Q Sline with 65000 kms.driving to work last week and car just stopped no warning lights was brought to audi garage and they found melted plastic and debris around timing kit. This damaged chain had moved it out of sync which in turn damaged engine. New engine now required but no one seems to know how this happened.car is out of warranty but has audi service record.audi have offered70% off parts but still a substantial amount remaing(6000 euro) to replace engine.. Has anyone encountered a problem such as this?
I'm not mechanically minded and have limited knowledge on cars/engines so any feedback greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Still Game
4,726 Posts
Welcome to our forum :)

Sorry to hear about your engine failure. At only 65,ooo Km this is very unusual. I believe your car has timing belt not timing chain?

I would guess the timing belt tensioner failed. I would expect there would have been a great deal of noise coming from the engine before the belt / (or chain?) jumped the sprockets?

Not every fault will generate a warning light. If car makes unusual noises it is advisable to get it checked.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,918 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Check your Q5 Owners manual or service book for recommended timing belt replacement intervals - I think it should be at 75k miles or 5 years old? Also how long ago was the last service and inspection by Audi dealer? Maybe with a full Audi service history and this part failing before Audi says it should be replaced, along with a recent inspection, you might have a bit more leverage/persuasion in getting Audi to offer hopefully more than 70% of the cost. Might also be worth contacting Audi HQ in Spain.

Did you hear any strange noises prior to the timing kit failing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to our forum :)

Sorry to hear about your engine failure. At only 65,ooo Km this is very unusual. I believe your car has timing belt not timing chain?

I would guess the timing belt tensioner failed. I would expect there would have been a great deal of noise coming from the engine before the belt / (or chain?) jumped the sprockets?

Not every fault will generate a warning light. If car makes unusual noises it is advisable to get it checked.
Hi thanks for info on belt.no noise what so ever before car stopped.it was like the car was just turned off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Timing
Hi thanks for info on belt.no noise what so ever before car stopped.it was like the car was just turned off.
Aud have given me 70% off parts in fairness, but still a huge bill to pay for unknown reason to why this happened.

·
Still Game
4,726 Posts
To be fair, timing belt & tensioner can fail on many makers engines with catastrophic damage to the engine when the timing slips.
It is unusual that your belt failed prematurely.

When was your car last serviced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be fair, timing belt & tensioner can fail on many makers engines with catastrophic damage to the engine when the timing slips.
It is unusual that your belt failed prematurely.

When was your car last serviced?
Got big service and health check Audi last August 2020,was due service a few weeks ago.
The burnt plastic and debris wore out the belt, I seen a picture of belt and it looked like a belt that had done 200000kms.
But no one knows in Audi where plastic and debris came from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts