Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum and looking for some advice. Seems you have some great topics and strong support

I currently drive a land rover evoque, which with nearly 70k has behaved quite well.

I have 11 months to go on my lease and found out this week that the company that I work for has done a deal with the Volkswagen group.

I had a q5 for a weekend 2 years ago, loved the car but only had a budget of 30k

I now have a budget of 35k car has to be diesel, love the s tronic, but with this budget could not get an s line s tronic, so would have to go for an SE s ironic

Question do I go for a speced up SE s tronic diesel or a manual s line with some extras like heated seats and interior lighting.

Please advise, great forum by the way

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Welcome!

One of the few that haven't had Evoque issues that have come over here it seems...

Tricky position you are in...
Comes down to what do you value most...
Gadgets? (in which case S-Line 150bhp Manual and a few extras)
Overtaking things? (in which case S-Line 177bhp Manual but NO extras)

In reality there isn't much between the 150 and 177 though...

The S-Tronic is a great box, if you do a lot of stop/start traffic jams then maybe the SE with this box and a few extras would be better (make sure you add Hill Hold assist, it's only £65).
I drive an Auto most of the time, but still love it when I get in a Manual, I personally really don't mind changing gear and of course you have more control. Its just the clutch up/down/up/down that gets me when crawling.

Also - I am basing the above on OTR prices from the Audi website - consider that the leasing company will likely be giving your company a better deal than those prices... If you push and poke the guys that deal with leasing in your company they might allow you to use that discount to get a couple of extras - my Dad always used to do this and get £400-500 worth of extra options. Maybe they could get the Sline S-Tronic to work (though that is £1500 OTR over £35k would be pushing it)?
I don't know if they let you or you are in a position to top it up, in which case, £20-30pcm would be enough to get the SLine Stronic without too much bargaining.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I like both manual and auto boxes. But for long commutes that I do everyday to work, my auto Q5 wins hands down. By the way, welcome to this forum.

(ps, traded my auto Evoque Prestige with lots and lots of options for my Q5 and don't regret it).

·
Banned
289 Posts
I would always choose the auto gearbox over other in-car gadgets. Most of the other extras make little difference, even if they are nice to have... But I think a decent auto/DSG box transforms the driving experience in most normal circumstances.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome mate. Can't be much help as no car yet but a healthy and wise choice you are making... Enjoy the anticipation....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I personally would choose the auto box, but have a test drive of both...

I'm sure you'll be more than happy with whichever you choose.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi mate.

Having just gone through the same dilemma as you, I settled on the SE S-Tronic 177 with some specs. I decided that the auto was more important to me then the s-line vajazels you get and a manual.

Also if it's a PCP finance deal the additional cost of the auto box is offset buy the increased future value amount and so effectively cost is a no cost extra.

Any welcome and happy choosing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Its s-tronic for me. That's where the relaxed driving comes in it for my 54 year old mind, but them I have loved automatics since age 42.

I would say it depends what driving you do. If mostly motorways then the benefit of s tronic is not a advantagous if you have a lot of gear changes to do.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Welcome mate! Me too would opt for Manual S Line, I'm probably talking mainly from a styling point of view, but I have always had a soft spot for manuals and occasionally stick the SQ into manual for my cruise.
Best Advice? Test drive and see both first

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Welcome,auto all day long 😄

·
Registered
30 Posts
Difficult one, but for me the auto would win every day. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of your help and advice.

I have another question, at the moment my evoque has a touch screen infotainment system that works so so! (It is slow but intuitive)

If I go for the ami ipod option can I get full control from the steering wheel, (would love the central wheel option as previous demos but can't stretch to the factory satnav) so will have to look for steering wheel operation.

What is it like to either play your playlists or make a call through the alphabet re contacts on the steering wheel, nearly all the audi you tube videos around this tend to be the models with the central wheel and satnav.

Any advice, thanks

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Standard spec still has the MMI control, just a smaller screen and a few less functions. The controls are on the dash rather than in the centre console though (so not quite as easy to use without looking).

Scrolling through phone contacts in the dash using the steering wheel controls is frankly the worst implementation of such a system I have ever seen... If you scroll slowly its fine, but if you scroll quickly it switches to this stupid mode where you can only see 1 contact, not the usual 4-5 in a list, and then it jumps about 20-30 contacts at a time. I have eventually got the knack of going just slow enough to avoid this stupid jumping about mode it goes into. TBH its quicker to voice dial contacts including the fact it inevitably mishears you from time-to-time (although I don't think you get voice control at the spec you are considering).

With AMI you can scroll through albums etc via the DIS/steering wheel or via the 6.5 inch MMI control/screen.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your prompt response

Is the screen touch sensitive or do you have arrows up or down left or right? the evoque can be very frustrating too but at least it is touch sensitive.

I had a feeling the steering wheel option would be slow, I remember the demo I had from audi before facelift had the sat nav so that control was great as it was very intuitive, unfortunately I love my tom tom live very much and would prefer to spend the spare cash on other goodies.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I use voice commands on my A7 and its great. Simple commands like "redial" or "call home" makes driving much safer. It also has a learning programme which will learn you voice by asking you to say words and phrases. Not sure if the Q5 is as good.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Thanks for your prompt response

Is the screen touch sensitive or do you have arrows up or down left or right? the evoque can be very frustrating too but at least it is touch sensitive.

I had a feeling the steering wheel option would be slow, I remember the demo I had from audi before facelift had the sat nav so that control was great as it was very intuitive, unfortunately I love my tom tom live very much and would prefer to spend the spare cash on other goodies.
The controls are exactly like the console mounted one...
Centre dial to select the item you want (turns left/right and press for select)
4 soft keys around the centre dial assigned to different function depending on what is on the screen.

(ignore the american-ness - we have DAB rather than SAT XM Radio)

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Also this vid on AMI, just imagine the controls are placed as the first video rather than in the centre console...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts