Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the price for a start, top spec Q5 would be low fifties where as top spec Macan low sixties both 3.0 diesel. The Macan has a smoother feel to it's drive and a more forgiving suspension on rough roads, it is also quieter to drive. The Macan feels bigger on the road but in reality it takes the same space in the garage. The rear window of the Macan is a flush fit and you don't get the annoying pooling of water that always collects around the bottom of the window corners where the glass meets the bodywork when washing.
The pick up on acceleration feels sportier with the Macan and the interior gives a sense of a slightly more premium feel (I guess at the extra cost it should), I wonder if the revised Q5 will lift the interior when it comes.
The Macan gives me almost identical MPG as the Q5 and there is an AddBlue filler next to the diesel cap for cleaner emissions. The CO2 rating is 161g for the Macan. 0-62 6.1 seconds with sport chrono.
My personal thoughts are the Macan is a great car and a level above the Q5 in almost every way, that said the Q5 is a great car and I enjoyed it, summing up I would say it loses out due to its suspension, road noise and lack of sportiness (SQ5 excluded as I haven't driven one to compare).
The Q5 served me well and for the difference in price it can't be faulted, the Macan is definitely the next generation on, worth the cost difference? For me yes, but I still liked my Q5 and if the Macan hadn't come along then it would be my car of choice, will be interesting to see what the new Q5 is like.
Thanks to you all, it's been a good place to come and check out all things Q5.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks for the review and hope you enjoy it. If the Macan had been available when I purchased the Q5 it would have been on my list.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have to admit I've looked closely at a Macan, liked the interior, especially the beige leather option. Was very easy to go mad with the options list, the residual values were not fabulous so a monthly PCP became quite expensive. The lack of an SQ5 equivalent and the two year warranty was disappointing. Audi's low cost upgrade to replace the current SQ killed the idea off.

As you say it will be interesting to see what Audi do with the next Q5.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Sound like a good review ,handling was always going to b a winner with the macan ,it's been said in a previous reveiw that there's a lot less room the back seat,I've seen one on the road and do like them,just can't justify 60k for a small SUV ,with the discounts we got on the sq's ur looking @15k difference in price,the macan waiting list should keep residules hi,there is a 2 litre version for abroad that's cheaper @40k start price but that would end up 50k specd up 😄

·
Registered
952 Posts
Any pics of your Macan? When did you order, you must have been early in the queue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I asked the dealer to let me know when the Macan was available, that was two years ago, they called me one month after I ordered the Q5 last October, hence the Q5 was only with me two and a half months as It turned out I was third in line at the dealer for the Macan so couldn't say no with well over a years waiting currently.

Attachments

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
It does look good in that bright white,the red leather sets it off 😄

·
Registered
952 Posts
Like the white but not having SQ5 rivalling performance would put me off. Also a big old difference in the cost when you factor in the Audi discounts against the Porsche laugh when you ask for discount.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Red leather does look great. I hate the blacked out bits on the bottom of the doors -- I don't understand why that styling element is there. Wheels look very nice.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The Macan comes with a 3 year warranty in the UK but a lot of dealers allow you to opt to not have it and save £800 or £969 if you don't have the Porsche Assistance (breakdown cover) for the third year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The design element along the bottom has options, standard is black, but you can have it painted same colour as bodywork, I went for carbon fibre to match the CF on the dash.
The third year warranty is worth it to me as parts would be expensive and also the warranty stays with the car if you sell it so adds to it's appeal to second buyers.
If you want SQ5 pace then you would want the Turbo, I find 0-62 in 6.1 seconds is quick enough for me and if you hit the sport plus button the dynamics change the car in to a very different beast.
As with all things it's subjective and there is a compromise to be made with any choice.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like it, I like it a lot. I seriously considered one but the 12 month wait was too long for me, maybe when the SQ5 comes to be changed but by then there will probably be a new SQ5. Who knows?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nice comparison Simon. I must check compate ground clearances etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts