Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I picked up my new daily runaround a couple of weeks ago...

2.0TDI S-Line Plus, S-Tronic (177)

I commute 155m a day to and from work 4 days a week so I opted for the 177 model in the hope to get close to that 47mpg figure Audi claim. Anyway, as I always do with my very first tank, top it up, overinflate the tyres to 40psi (F) 38psi ® and drive very carefully to see what the tank range is and how close I can get to the manufacturers figures.

Was quite dissapointed if I'm being honest, I drove like a saint, 0 come up at 595m and I filled up at 630m and managed to squeeze 71.7l back into its 75l tank. DIS said average of 40.9mpg, working it off those figures 630.3m/71.67l, it works bang on 40mpg so that appears to be 1mpg over read.

I know it's still tight and it should hopefully loosen up a bit but I bought the car in the hope for 45mpg minimum. My commute is 80/20 motorway/town so I generally get quite close to manufacturer claims. On this first tank, I drove it like a granny, cruise set at 65mph, no more than 2500rpm, have to say, was slightly disappointed, fingers crossed it gets a little better. Points to note though, like all Audi's, the 0 range comes on way too early. I drove 35m past 0 and still had approx 3.3l still in the thing.

Other than that, I think I quite like it, kids seem to love it.

Couple of questions though....

1) Is there anyone in NE of Scotland (Edinburgh/Fife/Perth/Dundee/Aberdeen area) that knows how to turn the VIM (Video in motion) off on the MMI? I understand its a VCDS job but if anyone can spare 10mins and could do the coding for me, would be great (Few beer tokens of course)

2) I dont know if this has been covered before but 1 pain in the arse thing I have noticed is, how do you select what you want to see in the fuel computer menus? In all my other Audi's I've been able to select what I want and what I dont want to see scrolling through the fuel computer menus. I have looked through the manual and it states that this function is disabled on some models?? Bizarre, I would have thought the S -Line plus being the top spec package you can buy would have this functionality? Ive been into the car menu but all I see is something to do with the lights and locking, no other options.

If anyone can help out with the VIM VCDS coding, would be great, please give me a shout, (Will keep the kiddies quiet haha)

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Looks nice - what colour is that?

Amazingly a few members on here coming from the 2.0 TDI to the SQ5 have reported it gets better mpg!
As you say the DIS is a bit cautious - but I guess Audi rather that than people running out of fuel and charging them to have the system primed again (it's a pain in the ass if you run out of fuel in a diesel).
Couple of threads on the topic here;
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/3849-dis-miles-to-next-refill/
http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/5569-dis-average-mpg/

I assume on the DIS option select you mean remove some options so it only scrolls through range to refuel and current mpg for example and not showing the other 10 options? I'm not aware of a way to do this... Which ones do you want to remove? I like having the trip 1 and trip 2 options all there to look at myself! Having read the manual I don't remember seeing this disabled functionality comment, which page? I'm guessing you have worked out the Reset button being the main screen select and the rocker switch selecting the sub info displayed?

Can you post your full spec (or put it in your signature)?

José

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a long hard think about the SQ5. Pricing wise, there wasnt a lot in it, but in the end, opted for the 2.0 177 just for the extra claimed fuel economy figures. I was never buying the Q5 to be a performance car, I have a tuned F10 M5 with over 600 horsies for the weekend so buying another 'performance' car would have been pointless. From reading around, think the SQ5 owners seem to be getting average of around 30mpg and that's too low for a daily commute for me. 40mpg is already pushing it haha. Daily driver wise, I had an A1 (60mpg) then an A4 (55mpg) now Q5 (40mpg) so obviously taking a 50% hit on what I was paying in the A1.

Yes, the fuel computers are normally user configured (They have in the last 5 Audis I've owned) Just seems pointless having average speed, fuel range etc on Fuel computer 2 so I always switched these off. Something so simple but annoying it doesnt appear to be user configurable on the Q5. I dont have the user manual with me at the moment but will check again later, there's definitely a page where it states this is selectable but with a note saying only for some models, i'll point you to it later.

Colour is Scuba blue, 20'' Titanium finish wheels, black pack, heated seats, B&O, usual + spec, S tronic. Also debadged front and rear...

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
VIM is easy to do if you have the cable, I've turned it on, on the SQ.
You just need the serial number of the module and the security code is a mix of numbers from it.

Fuel computer sounds like you are in green mode.
If you go to comp one it works like the older audis. You get use to it.
I didn't notice a diff to the TTRS

SQ comes up at 510 when full (or did last time filled)
40mpg is better than I ever got in the 20tdi. That would normally read 565/570 when full. Average for ownership was about 31 based on DIS comp 2 which was never reset over 2 years.

That front grill looks wrong, really not a fan of the black pack look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That front grill looks wrong, really not a fan of the black pack look.
Exact opposite for me and my sentiments on the chrome grille, really not a fan at all. For me, there's a more aggressive meaner stance to the car with the black pack option. Seems to go well with the colour combo choice but hey, that's just my personal taste.

I'll have a look at the fuel computers again, in my other Audi's these were all configurable tick box options in the vehicle setting screens. I too had a TTRS.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
To respond to the initial question on range/consumption....... as regulars here will know, I am a bit of a number nerd.

Two points on my experience over 6,500 miles:
  • My DIS, on average, is 4.1% optimistic relative to actual consumption
  • My fuel consumption has improved significantly over early figures based on recording mpg vs average speed and I would expect you to see 15-20% better consumption if you drive the same route under the same conditions after 6.000 miles

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm getting around 37mpg with the 3 litre, and judging by your number plate we must have picked our cars up the same week from Aberdeen Audi. But given that my 2.2 Evoque for the same journey each day stayed at around 31/32mpg I'm more than happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same day it would appear, I picked mine up from Aberdeen Audi on the 3rd. 37mpg isn't too bad at all seeing as yours is brand new too.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hello Mitchy.

Nice looking motor for a daily.
I had a 2.0TDi for a fortnight and managed 35mpg on the motorway at a cruise, and high 20's in town. Was pretty disappointed in real world experience.

I'm running an A6 Avant BiTDi (same engine as SQ5 and its returning better mpg in every aspect bar short trips 2-3 mile trips to shops etc.
I don't know how they've achieved that given performance.

Hopefully with a few more miles under its belt...

Now if someone could pop in Aberdeen audi and get some quality pics of the racing mica blue SQ5 for me that would be great!!!!
Only 4 1/2 months to go

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hello,
I commute 155m a day to and from work 4 days a week so I opted for the 177 model in the hope to get close to that 47mpg figure Audi claim. Anyway, as I always do with my very first tank, top it up, overinflate the tyres to 40psi (F) 38psi ® and drive very carefully to see what the tank range is and how close I can get to the manufacturers figures.

Was quite dissapointed if I'm being honest, I drove like a saint, 0 come up at 595m and I filled up at 630m and managed to squeeze 71.7l back into its 75l tank. DIS said average of 40.9mpg, working it off those figures 630.3m/71.67l, it works bang on 40mpg so that appears to be 1mpg over read.

I know it's still tight and it should hopefully loosen up a bit but I bought the car in the hope for 45mpg minimum. My commute is 80/20 motorway/town so I generally get quite close to manufacturer claims. On this first tank, I drove it like a granny, cruise set at 65mph, no more than 2500rpm, have to say, was slightly disappointed, fingers crossed it gets a little better. Points to note though, like all Audi's, the 0 range comes on way too early. I drove 35m past 0 and still had approx 3.3l still in the thing.

Other than that, I think I quite like it, kids seem to love it.

Couple of questions though....

1) Is there anyone in NE of Scotland (Edinburgh/Fife/Perth/Dundee/Aberdeen area) that knows how to turn the VIM (Video in motion) off on the MMI? I understand its a VCDS job but if anyone can spare 10mins and could do the coding for me, would be great (Few beer tokens of course)

2) I dont know if this has been covered before but 1 pain in the arse thing I have noticed is, how do you select what you want to see in the fuel computer menus? In all my other Audi's I've been able to select what I want and what I dont want to see scrolling through the fuel computer menus. I have looked through the manual and it states that this function is disabled on some models?? Bizarre, I would have thought the S -Line plus being the top spec package you can buy would have this functionality? Ive been into the car menu but all I see is something to do with the lights and locking, no other options.

If anyone can help out with the VIM VCDS coding, would be great, please give me a shout, (Will keep the kiddies quiet haha)
Over Inflating Tyres make little difference to MPG.
Rather have the grip and ride comfort at the correct Tyre pressure

·
Registered
123 Posts
600+ on a tank is very good (I hate filling up). Do you really have to pay to get the system primed if you run out of diesel? I carry a spare can of fuel but if this is the case it would appear to be pointless. Has anyone actual run out and had to get the system primed? I would be interested in what the best consumption members have achieved and also the best range on one tank! Are manual transmissions more economical then s tronic still these days?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It's strongly recommended not to run out of fuel... The common rail diesel HPFP will fail almost instantly if it is run dry (and is a very expensive part), so the LPFP must be used to prime it 2-3 times before you try and start the engine after running it dry, or having done any work thy may have drained the fuel system (it primes once every time you unlock the car, you can hear it if you listen carefully).

To avoid the issue put your extra fuel in before you run out.
You can prime it yourself using VCDS (which is available from Rosstech). You would need to keep the cable and a laptop in the car to be able to prime in a roadside fuel outage situation.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
And STronic/tiptronic is at least if not more economical than manual these days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts