Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have just replaced my 2017 model with the new 2021 model and I have noticed Audi have been on a cash saving exercise with the latest Q5.
Most annoyingly is that that have now removed the SD slots and External SIM card for the Q5.
If anyone has been using the in-car WiFi with their own SIM, then this is no longer possible, you are now forced to use the in-built eSIM.
I would be happy to use but you can only buy data packages from one vendor, Cubic Telecom and their prices are extortionate. They want £100 for 60GB of data, but I have a SIM that gives me 30GB for £10 per month. I've now had to go purchase a cellular - WiFi device for use in car, which still works out way cheaper.
Just giving people the heads up as I never thought to check when ordering the new car.

-Kerr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you have Android Auto wireless?
Can you use your phone as a hot-spot and still stream /connect?

You would have to think that they would offer some way of connecting with a 3rd party SIM or gadget.
Your solution sounds like the best compromise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Q5 does not support Android Auto Wireless. Only Apple wireless is supported.
For Android Auto you have to connect via cable still. Yes you can share your data via a hotspot on the phone but the Q5 is unable to connect and use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you have Alexa enabled?
That is going to require a data connection so after your free trial period there still has to be a way to keep Alexa enabled?
You would think that using the phone as a hot-spot / data connection would have to be an option.
It's probably worth reading the small print regarding the services and limitations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure if Alexa is US only but I did not get the option to enable Alexa on my MMI when I added the primary user. I cannot find any option where you can enable the MMI to use your phone data connection either. You seem to be tied to using the eSIM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am not sure if Alexa is US only but I did not get the option to enable Alexa on my MMI when I added the primary user. I cannot find any option where you can enable the MMI to use your phone data connection either. You seem to be tied to using the eSIM.
That's interesting - according to the Audi UK site even the entry level Sport has Alexa.
I'm not sure about phone connection but maybe through the USB cable?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had a look at the car, it appears I can connect Amazon Music but I saw nothing about Alexa. The only way to connect Android Auto is via USB.
Doesn't it have Wireless Android Auto?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts