Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are in the process of deciding on the what extras to order with your new Q5 this may be relavent. I ordered the electrically folding door mirrors for mine. The idea was that it would be useful to be able to retract the mirrors when passing oncoming traffic in the many narrow lanes I drive on. My wife's Honda Jazz has this facility, and it is very useful. With my previous A4 I would lower the window and do it manually. It is with considerable disappointment that I now find that it is not possible to do this with the Q5 electrically folding mirrors. Once you are under way, and over 15km/hour, the mirrors cannot be retracted electrically, and the handbook warns you not to do it manually.
The mirrors themselves are very large and when reversing it is usually possible to see the kerb - a real boon. However they can also obscure vision. I have had a car almost completely hidden twice; once at a roundabout, behind the offside mirror, and once behind the nearside mirror at a junction. One learns to allow for it, but it is a lesson best learned early. They are also highly convex which can cause you to cut up a car you have just overtaken, by drawing in front of them too soon. Again the handbook mentions this, but not everyone reads the whole handbook.

Update 2nd Dec: My dealer has come up with an explanation as to why the mirrors can not be folded when driving. I have the optional Audi Side Assist, and he tells me that that is why they will not fold while on the move.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Useful info.

Whilst on the subject.........how do you get the heated mirrors to work?
Not sure if I'm turning them on or not

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks for that. I was just pushing the joy stick on the door towards the mirror lol! Shame the symbol on the door handle doesn't light up when they're on.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks for that. I was just pushing the joy stick on the door towards the mirror lol! Shame the symbol on the door handle doesn't light up when they're on.
Josh i am sure you are but make sure the rocker switch on the door handle for the mirrors is in the middle pointing to the picture of the mirror with heat lines (or whatever they are) on.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sorry Nemo,
That's what I meant pushing joy stick towards the heated symbol in centre of the top three on the handle.

So does that turn them on or the rear screen heater? Or either/both?

·
Registered
963 Posts
We should get chance to test this by the end of the week judging by the weather forecast!

MartynC
Yep I think you are right about that. Just remember to turn your wind screen wipers off if you've got the rain sensor type until the screen is de-iced.

Well I got the manual out last night for another flick. It suggests that the heated mirrors are independant of both the heated screens and that they will work below a certain temperature.

To turn them on just turn the joy stick to that heated central position.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Just discovered the nearside mirror tilts when you reverse. Very useful. Well impressed!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just discovered the nearside mirror tilts when you reverse. Very useful. Well impressed!
Really !!! What spec do you have to have to get that to happen ??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Really !!! What spec do you have to have to get that to happen ??
Yeah, that's a really useful feature. I think you have to memory seats, although I see from your sig. you've got the electric mirrors, so it might still work. You need be in reverse and have the adjustment knob set to the passenger side mirror, otherwise it doesn't seem to dip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another thing to watch out for is that if you programme the mirrors to retract when the doors are locked you won't get the benefit of the optional under mirror illumination when you approach and unlock the car in the dark as the LEDs turn off when the mirrors are angled up.
Shame Audi didn't use a similar system to the BMW X5 wher the individual door handles are illuminated at night.....

·
Registered
963 Posts
Didn't know that. Mine were set up to fold by the dealer. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts