Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weve just got back from St Malo, France and I aint a happy bunny!

The Q5 was service'd and MOT last week and I did book it in for a clutch judder when setting off, but it was hit and miss, so I told Audi Wakefield to forget it.

On the way to Dover there was a bump on the M1, which was slow moving. The clutch started to judder and got worse and worse.
When cold its fine but it very quickly gets back to its old ways and at one point the wife thought it was me doing to for a joke.

Well it was a real let down driving around Brittany with clutch that shakes the whole car.

Ive booked it back with Audi, as theres 14 days warranty left! As its only 19000 miles, when I called from calais Audi have said they will have a look at it.

Does anyone else have/had this issue.

As anyone else taken Audi up on their extended warranty.

Cheers Phill

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Weve just got back from St Malo, France and I aint a happy bunny!

The Q5 was service'd and MOT last week and I did book it in for a clutch judder when setting off, but it was hit and miss, so I told Audi Wakefield to forget it.

On the way to Dover there was a bump on the M1, which was slow moving. The clutch started to judder and got worse and worse.
When cold its fine but it very quickly gets back to its old ways and at one point the wife thought it was me doing to for a joke.

Well it was a real let down driving around Brittany with clutch that shakes the whole car.

Ive booked it back with Audi, as theres 14 days warranty left! As its only 19000 miles, when I called from calais Audi have said they will have a look at it.

Does anyone else have/had this issue.

As anyone else taken Audi up on their extended warranty.

Cheers Phill
Mmm brings back memories of my 2.0 TDI A5 Cabrio that suffered from clutch judder for the last 35,000 miles of the 65,000 that I covered in it.

I had it booked into the dealer a couple of times (it's a known problem on the A5 forums and Q5 is based on the same platform), it always came back 'no fault found' even after overnight visits (was worse when cold).

I suspected but could never prove that a bit of oil had seeped from the rear crank seal and contaminated the clutch friction plate - a classic judder cause candidate.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
I recall there was a post from a.n.other with clutch judder which was caused by oil leaking of to clutch. You might like to search for it. He got his clutch replaced by Audi.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks.
It's going in on Audi on Monday. I'm going to clean it and run around in it till it starts to do it and then grab the workshop foreman, so I can at least say, there you are.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Audi are just advising you if they say a problem with clutch slippage (driving habit) they will no pay. But as normal it will be a failure of material/oil on the plate worse case will be the torque springs.
Do you have a tow bar fitted?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No tow bar.
Just been to Audi and let the master technician drive it with the fault present. He agrees that something is not right, it was really shaking bad by the time I was at home. He wants the car for two days. The factory time for the box out etc is 7.8 hrs.
I will let you know later. Thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wolfgang
Keep us posted on the outcome of your clutch issue, it will be interesting to know what the problem is with the clutch.

Doug

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do.
It was awful yesterday, juddered like a tractor and first and second a tad hard to get.
I'm the second owner and bought with 12 k on clock. Hope the previous owner didn't use the pedal as a foot rest, or Mr Audi may be asking for some moolah. Lol
As a skilled mechanic, clutches don't do that for wear, they just slip. Finished as grease monkey 23 yrs ago, so can't see that much changing.
Phill

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I took the q5 in to Wakefield Audi this morning and called late this afternoon and was told that they were fitting a new clutch and flywheel. I assume under warranty as they said nothing about the cost etc.
top service from Audi, but disappointed that its had to have such a major job with 19000 mls on the clock and most of them were on the main roads.

I will give a fuller picture when it's back and I've had chance to have a drive.
They've also looked at the sat nav as it say take the third etc off the roundabout and just as you enter it it tells you to leave it. I've read another thread on this one so will also update on that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The clutch and flywheel have been changed under warranty with just two weeks to go.
The Q is so different to drive now, lighter and easier to change.

Big thumbs up to Wakefield Audi who turned the Q aound in no time.

No issues found with the sat nav.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thats good service from the dealer, I would like my SAT Nav updated also but free of course.

·
Registered
433 Posts
That's good service from your dealer, glad to hear everything okay now. I would like my NAV updated also free hopefully

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to hear you had the problem Phill, but glad I'm not the only one. Thought I was jinxed for a moment there!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interestingly my Q5 has gone in for a suspected oil leak and clutch judder.

No evidence of the oil leak found, but they are replacing the clutch under warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts