Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Hello 🤡
wonder if anybody can throw some light on my brake problem please.
last week I had a dash alert saying “ Brake Servo restricted. You can continue driving but contact workshop “. So I did
I took my 2017 Q5 (8k careful miles only) in to have some recalls updated and asked them to sort out the message. I naively assumed it was part of the recalls. However the service advisor informed me that was not the case. He stated that they had another Q5 in with them awaiting parts for a similar dash alert which proved to need a new servo and was iro £3k to fix. Panic.
I left car with them to analyse and upon my return was relieved to be informed that It was some sort of servo seal problem. He informed me that the part was on 2-3 week back order and would cost £80 to fix. I booked car in for this work in 3 weeks time. The paperwork states - Defective G608 vacuum sensor requires replacement continuous use may cause further damage To brake system and lead to further cost. The service advisor told me to limit my driving and therefore brake usage until the fault was fixed. Today barely 40 miles later the dash flagged up servo failure park car safely and contact dealer.
Hence my contacting this forum for any advice or knowledge or suggestions. I didn’t take out any extended warranty, well I don’t do much mileage and it is an Audi 👹👹👹 silly me.
thx for any reply.

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
I seem to remember an issue with brake servo failure & being replaced foc. You might like to search this and other forums

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I have since been looking at another forum, Audi owners club.com and there are maybe 100 cases All with exactly the same error warnings. This has to be a real fault which should have been a recall. Once it gets to the don’t drive error message the cost seems to be iro £3k. Appalling treatment by Audi. I should not have even driven away without the full enormity of the fault being made clear to me. This could even cost lives if brakes failed on the road. I haven’t yet finished reading to the end of the reports. Maybe somebody will start a class action ?
Should I keep this topic updated ?

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,875 Posts
Did you read the paperwork stating - 'Defective G608 vacuum sensor requires replacement continuous use may cause further damage To brake system and lead to further cost.' Before leaving the dealer, or did the dealer make you aware of this before you left? Its a shame you didn't just leave the car at the dealership until it could be fixed. Would be good to have topic updated to conclusion for other that may have this issue in the future. Hopefully still a servo seal cheap fix for you 🤞

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you read the paperwork stating - 'Defective G608 vacuum sensor requires replacement continuous use may cause further damage To brake system and lead to further cost.' Before leaving the dealer, or did the dealer make you aware of this before you left? Its a shame you didn't just leave the car at the dealership until it could be fixed. Would be good to have topic updated to conclusion for other that may have this issue in the future. Hopefully still a servo seal cheap fix for you 🤞
Thx. When I returned to dealership i immediately asked about my car problem and he mansplained (yes I’m a dumb blonde) that “great news, your servo is still ok but there is a problem with your vacuum seals. This will only cost £66 plus vat but they are on back order 2-3 weeks so would you like to book for that now. “. I did book for 19 July and he then said that I should try not to use my car much in order to look after the seals as if they let go then it would be more expensive. At no time did he inform me that if this failed then it could lead to the really expensive repair. I did not realise that the vacuum seals were part of the servo until I read this forum. I have only driven 40 miles from then, 20 of those being the journey home. I was not advised to leave the car at the workshop and have to say that I was really happy to be able to get home as the trip from out of city industrial estate location of dealership to small coastal town is not an easy journey without car. When I first talked to the advisor I asked him to please make sure that my car was left in drivable condition and not to change the present status quo as shown on the dash “ you may continue to drive “. Had I been told that by continuing to drive even just a small distance I could cause huge damage I would not have moved the car one inch! The advisory states ‘ continuous use ‘which I took to mean many miles over many days, not any miles !
Anyway, I have written to Audi and wait to hear from them. I do feel that as this is not an uncommon servo failure then it is a fault that should have necessitated an immediate recall and clear warning to us owners about the danger of ignoring it.
I will report back..
Many thx for your interest. P

·
Still Game
4,619 Posts
I hope you get a satisfactory solution.

If it is any comfort, it is not only blondes who are treated in this condescending fashion.

Took my wife's 3+ year old mini into the dealer for FOC service.

The "lady" assistant phoned to tell me "it needs a new battery". "No, battery is flat as car has not been used". "We recommend replacement, would you like us to do that at only £395 + fitting?". "No". "We cannot be responsible, if the car breaks down we will not recover your car". I felt this was really bad service and complained to the manager.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for you but nice to know that we m/f are treated equally badly. Why do they assume we are stupid. Nice looking car 👍 that seems a steep charge, best deal I had with my last Audi A4 needing a battery was from AA breakdown who‘d have thought.
Auto reply from Audi states they will get back to me within 48 hours. If they’re no help and it is the worst case then I think I’ll go full on attack. 🤬

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
I have had a very nice response from an executive assistant to Mr Doyle 🙄 nothing yet to report as he will get back to me within 48 hours. It’s a start. I hope Audi put their big pants on and take responsibility for this parts failure which seems to encompass so many models. I do believe it is dangerous and could be catastrophic if the brakes failed while on a motorway. I’ll keep this topic updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.Update:

Today I spoke with the very personable but patronising, plausible and totally non committal Audi Executive who reports directly to Andrew Doyle. All I have to report is Nothing! He stated that Audi are not aware of this problem, that it can’t be a common problem as their workshops would be reporting such to them and therefore that it is not happening. He also said that it is not their policy to read or take notice of forums which can’t be proven to be used by genuine contributors..I asked him to please, as a matter of customer care and due diligence, could he look through them even if with a pinch of salt. After all, we are his customers.

He reiterated that my 8000 mile car was out of warranty, duh thanks for telling me, that I should have it transported to my nearest Audi garage and once it had been diagnosed then the garage would see if there was any sort of goodwill that might be offered. He also observed that “ you have enjoyed 4 years of fault free motoring “ ! What do we take from that?

Not happy. Not impressed with the party line being trotted out. If it transpires that my minor gasket failure has escalated to a major failure then it seems likely that I will have to go down the DVSA, MOTOR OMBUDSMAN, SMALL CLAIMS AND OR COLLECTIVE ACTION route. I do hope not. 🤬

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Hello 🤡
wonder if anybody can throw some light on my brake problem please.
last week I had a dash alert saying “ Brake Servo restricted. You can continue driving but contact workshop “. So I did
I took my 2017 Q5 (8k careful miles only) in to have some recalls updated and asked them to sort out the message. I naively assumed it was part of the recalls. However the service advisor informed me that was not the case. He stated that they had another Q5 in with them awaiting parts for a similar dash alert which proved to need a new servo and was iro £3k to fix. Panic.
I left car with them to analyse and upon my return was relieved to be informed that It was some sort of servo seal problem. He informed me that the part was on 2-3 week back order and would cost £80 to fix. I booked car in for this work in 3 weeks time. The paperwork states - Defective G608 vacuum sensor requires replacement continuous use may cause further damage To brake system and lead to further cost. The service advisor told me to limit my driving and therefore brake usage until the fault was fixed. Today barely 40 miles later the dash flagged up servo failure park car safely and contact dealer.
Hence my contacting this forum for any advice or knowledge or suggestions. I didn’t take out any extended warranty, well I don’t do much mileage and it is an Audi 👹👹👹 silly me.
thx for any reply.
If you need a servo, I have one. In fact all the parts I have are for Q5 as Iv now had 3, but with more than ever grandkids, we have opted for A new VW Transporter. Although, I still think it should be a FOC issue bur could I could be wrong.

1 Mirror complete

2 Rear Springs like new.

3 Servo Complete

4 Wiper Unit with Motor

5 Hydraulic Unit Part No **

8RO 907 379 AP**

6 Rear Bumper Tail light. These We’re parts of my first two Q 5’s. But No good for my 2020 Vorsprung Model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you D. Very kind and noted whats available. I have sent a “not so friendly” letter to Andrew Doyle and cc‘d it into Audi head office so will report back 🤡 I have told them that I will not accept any goodwill gesture, how condescending is it when they treat us like freeloaders. That I expect Audi to take full responsibility for this catastrophic safety failure when there should have been an urgent nationwide recall issued. Now that the sadness and shock of my car letting me down has settled I am resigning myself to taking on Audi. My request is that they put my car back on the road safely foc whether it be the minor or the major fix and that they immediately issue an urgent recall. I do hope that they see that as their best course of action rather than one of their customers going into full Shame, Reveal and Sue mode. if they just lost 100 sales due to the revelation of their customer treatment then it wold have been worth agreeing my request. I also believe that the Small Claims Court would look very favourably on my action if I present them with the proof of how Audi let me drive away from their workshop with their full knowledge of how dangerous and expensive this would likely be. Lets see 🙄

1 - 13 of 13 Posts