Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been having serious problems with my MMI system.

I bought my car 5 months ago. It's an awesome car and I am absolutely in love with it. Unfortunately, soon after I got the car my MMI system started to malfunction, going completely dead (screen dead, all MMI buttons in the center console also dead).

The car is brand new and I am very careful and particular about it. So that was very upsetting to me because it's obviously not what I expected from a brand new Audi.

The problem first appeared about a month and a half after a bought the car, but the screen ended up coming back on and by the time I took the car to Audi Services, all they did was to install a software update, without investigating the problem further. A couple of months after that, the same problem occurred again, this time it did not come back on its own. The screen kept flashing (even when the car was off) as if it was trying to re-connect... but it never really came back. I took the car to my local Audi services and after they ran a diagnostics, I was informed that a module in the brain of the MMI system was malfunctioning and needed to be replaced. They said that the unit came malfunctioning from the factory and that they had to order a new one. Funnily enough, just by running diagnostics and unplugging and plugging back the unit, they managed to make it work, but they still wanted to replaced the module, which was done a week later. This happened two weeks ago...

Today, when I went to pick up my car at my detailing guy, the screen did not turn on again!!
(( This was the third time it happened, even after the whole module was replaced by a new one... Now, here's the catch... all three times that this problem occurred, the car had just been detailed but this guy, who is someone I've always trusted with my car since I bought it.

That guy swears he is not doing anything other than hand washing and air drying the car, and I believe him, he is extremely responsible and reliable. Having said that, I am concerned that this only happens when I take the car to his shop, which is underground. I am now trying to understand what's happening... I don't know... maybe because he leaves the doors open for a long period of time and the [keyless entry + keyless start] key is not in the car so the system keeps looking for it? OR maybe because the GPS, SiriusXM, etc are trying to connect to satellite and are unable to do so because of the underground location? OR maybe because the MMI system keeps trying to find my phone after I am gone? OR maybe because of the high pressure air blower (which I much prefer to towel drying the car and causing swirls marks)? OR... OR... OR...

I have no idea what's causing this... but it is too much of a coincidence that it only happens when the car is at that Detail shop. Today, the detail guy was really scared when it happened, he didn't know what to do or say... I got in the car and was about to drive down to Audi Services when the screen/system quickly came back and re-connected to my phone right away... but now I am afraid to take the car back to him and he is the only person I trust with my car, not to mention that his detailing services are top notch!

Has anyone seen or had a similar problem with the MMI unit? Any advices or ideas on what might be causing my problem?

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
I can't understand what the detailing guy could be doing which would interfere with MMI, I guess yours is not the only Audi he details?

However, IF the issue occurs only after you get car detailed, I would suggest the solution is obvious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think my car is the only Audi he details. His shop is under the BMW Services shop but he just leases the place, and although he details a lot of BMWs he's open to any car brand. He also mentioned to me that he's been really eerie of Audis since my MMI died the first time.

I am already looking for another Detail shop that might offer the same high quality services that he does. It's a bummer because I really trust and like him, but I am really concerned that this problem will keep happening every time my car is at his shop and that it will eventually cause further damage to the MMI system.

It's just puzzling to me that this is even happening! And more puzzling that it happened again yesterday, just two weeks after the whole MMI module was replaced by a new one.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
1,872 Posts
Old / weak battery? Are the lights or doors open for extended periods of time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Old / weak battery? Are the lights or doors open for extended periods of time?
It can't be an old battery, the car is brand new!
Besides, everything works just fine, including the parking assistance sensors, I can still hear them. It's only the MMI screen that goes completely dead.

The detailing guy said he had the doors open while vacuuming the car, but the lights were not on. Also, yesterday when he saw that the screen was dead again, he used a conductance tester to measure the battery charge and it was at 12.6v.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could try cleaning it yourself?
I would absolutely love to clean my own car, believe me! I even bought a bunch of Audi cleaning products when I got the car. The problem is that I live in a San Francisco Edwardian building (built in 1906), which means NO garage. I rent a garage across the street and my lease does not allow me to use that space to wash my car.

I usually do my own interior detailing, but I unfortunately do not have an appropriate space to do the exterior. The DIY car wash stations in San Francisco are pretty shitty and mostly in sketchy neighborhoods, so that's not an option for me.

To add to this problem, California is in the middle of the worst drought of all times, and some people just freak out and over-react when they see [car loving] folks washing their cars. Another convenience to taking the car to a Detailing shop is because they have their own methods of saving water while still doing a great job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
....... he used a conductance tester to measure the battery charge and it was at 12.6v.

Should be higher than that, I believe,more like 13.8v (not under load) for a new car/battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Should be higher than that, I believe,more like 13.8v (not under load) for a new car/battery.
You mean with the car off?

The guy said it should be at or close to 12.7. It went up to 13.5 when I turned the car on.

I don't know if it matters but my car is a TDI, I understand TDIs have a different battery system but I'm not sure how or what is different.

I could definitely go back to Audi and ask them to check if there's a chance that the battery is causing the problem.

It's funny though that everything works just fine and I never had any problems turning the car on... Whatever's happening, it's causing only the MMI screen to shut off or freeze.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ask to speak to the service manager at Audi if you don't get it resolved quickly.

Audi cleaning products are ok but pinnacle down in florida are far better and they do a great waterless wash kit!

R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts