Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a new Q5, November 2009, its a 2.0 TFSI S-Line, I really have all the accessories and have paid more then 80,000 EUR for it...

In the last 10 months I have traveled 50,000 km with it and here are the impressions:
Pros:
-It is a really nice car
-It handles really well for an SUV
-The LED lights look cool
-The seats are really comfy

Cons:
-Average fuel consumption in around 12l/100km (open road 80kmh average), 16l city but the real problem is that it consumes around 14l on cruise control at 130kmh highway and about 18l at 160kmh... way too much
-It spends about a liter of oil per 1,500 km (Audi service in Croatia claims this is normal)
-The gearbox (7speed steptronic) work nice but... if you start the car at an incline and place in reverse it starts rolling forward, as well as if you are in Drive and want to go forward it goes down... not really normal for an automatic...
-The service interval of 15,000 km is way too short for a premium car
-My brakes caught on fire (In the most literal way possible) after a couple sharp turns... Again. service in Croatia said this is normal since its not a sports car (s-line 2.0 TFSI??)
-Suspension started making funny noises after about 20,000 km
-Interior plastics started making noises at about 45,000km
-The steering wheel got the used look about now and the leather looks worn
-Parking sensors do not really make much sense since the full beep proximity means you have about 50-60 cm of room left
-Car cannot reach top speed (230kmh) but stops at about 215kmh
-Cruise control does not hold constant rpm
-Car shakes the steering wheel when braking (getting worse, been said this is an AUDI design mistake and that they are changing the scissors as a guarantee fix)
-All of the mentioned problems except the last one were claimed as "normal" by authorized AUDI services in Croatia and Slovenia

Overall impression:
If the car was worth about 40,000 EUR I would say you get you moneys worth but at over 80,000 EUR the quality of the car is far from the price tag (not to use any stronger words)...

If you are thinking about an Audi Q5... read this and think again...

Denis after 50,000km

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sorry but what kind of fuel ecconomy did you expect from a petrol suv

The rolling back issue with the autobox......my dealer insisted that I order the hill start extra. Apparently
the roll back is a characteristic of the 7 speed box. Which I agree
is not what happens with all other automatics. I was surprised
too.

Service interval depends on your driving and mileage.

The other issues imho if you're not getting a satifactory response/rectification from your Dealer I would be speaking to Audi direct :!:

·
Registered
240 Posts
If the rolling is an issue for you then simply apply the park brake - it automatically disengages when you apply throttle.

Your economy sounds a bit poor but given your description of overheating brakes and not being able to achieve 230 km/h, I'm guessing you don't exactly baby it?

Oil consumption appears to be a trait of the 2.0TFSI - if you have emissions testing in your country, you could see if it fails due to the excessive oil in the combustion and use this as a means to get a fix from Audi??

Cruise control not holding constant RPM - do you mean road speed? Talk to your dealer as I believe there was a software release that fixed this problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If the car was worth about 40,000 EUR I would say you get you moneys worth but at over 80,000 EUR the quality of the car is far from the price tag (not to use any stronger words)...
But it is not an 80,000 EUR car. It is a 40/50,000 EUR car that you have overspeced and paid 80,000 EUR for. Adding extras does not increase the quality of the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
But it is not an 80,000 EUR car. It is a 40/50,000 EUR car that you have overspeced and paid 80,000 EUR for. Adding extras does not increase the quality of the car.
As a matter of fact, it is a 80,000 EUR car. The fact that Audi took out equipment that should come as standard and squeezed the price down to 45,000 doesn't make this a 45,000 car. Anyway, is there barely anybody who bought the ("naked") 45,000 EUR version of the 2.0TFSI S-tronic?

Denis, in relation to your comments about the oil consumption. I myself have the same engine and transmission, and ever since I bought the car I was constantly (1) adding motor oil and (2) complaining to the dealer (in Skopje). My engine was consuming around 1 liter of motor oil per 1,200-1,500km city driving, and around 1 liter per 5,000km on highways. The dealer was saying that it's normal, and that I should accept it.

Then, on my own initiative and insisting, after 9 months of operation and after around 13,000km, I requested from them to make a "protocol" for motor oil consumption (this is how they call it). They did the "protocol": take out all the oil, measure and put around 4.5 liters of oil, then you drive 1,000km, and finally they take out the oil and measure it. The measurements were that my engine consumes 500ml of oil per 1000km (which is lower than your consumption).

After 4 weeks (spent in "communication with the factory), the local service called me and proposed two options: (1) to disassemble the engine and inspect it piece by piece, and (2) to replace it with a new engine.

Of course, I agreed for the second option, and 2 weeks after (just in the beginning of this month), I got a NEW engine. Sent and paid for by Audi AG, under the 2-year warranty, no questions asked.

So, what I would propose to you, is that you should go to your dealer and ask them to make a protocol. If the oil consumption is equal or more than what the user's manual says (500ml per 1,000km), then they HAVE to do something. If the dealer in Macedonia replaced the engine with no questions asked, I think that the Croatian dealer should know much better than this
)

Regards,

·
Banned
801 Posts
Sorry but what kind of fuel ecconomy did you expect from a petrol suv

The rolling back issue with the autobox......my dealer insisted that I order the hill start extra. Apparently
the roll back is a characteristic of the 7 speed box. Which I agree
is not what happens with all other automatics. I was surprised
too.

Service interval depends on your driving and mileage.

The other issues imho if you're not getting a satifactory response/rectification from your Dealer I would be speaking to Audi direct :!:
FOR YOUR INFORMATION FROM DATA INSTRUCTIONS AUDI Q5
EPA Fuel Economy Estimate:

City: 10,4 Litres
Highway: 7,3 Liters
Combined: 8,5 Liters

"Service interval depends on your driving and mileage." ??????

SERVICE INTERVAL FROM MANUAL 15.000 KM , 30.000 KM , 45.000 KM SIGNS EVERY 15.OOO KILOMETERS

I am the owner of the Audi Q5 TFSI S-tronic 2010 and I agree that there are plenty of problems of oil consumption, high fuel consumption .....

·
Registered
963 Posts
FYI........ The car is on a variable service pattern the book mileages are the latest it should be done. The car's computer will recognise eg frequent short journeys and will alter the timing of the service. That's a good thing.

I have no experience of poor fuel economy or high oil usage as yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yikes

You must have a "lemon" Denis; for mine at 43kkm:
< 1 L oil /10kkm
12-14 L/100km in city traffic, ~10 at 130 km/h, < 9 on 70-90 km/h country roads (which is better than a lot of oil-burners report
)
And, I have a pretty heavy right foot...

BTW: The cruise control needed a software fix last year for a problem like you describe.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Yikes

You must have a "lemon" Denis; for mine at 43kkm:
< 1 L oil /10kkm
12-14 L/100km in city traffic, ~10 at 130 km/h, < 9 on 70-90 km/h country roads (which is better than a lot of oil-burners report
)
And, I have a pretty heavy right foot...

BTW: The cruise control needed a software fix last year for a problem like you describe.
Board computers do not believe he knows to lie up to 20% BUT CHECK WHEN refuel your tank
Calculation based on volume per distance (e.g. l/100km)
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagComDIS.html

·
Banned
801 Posts
For those who do not know. Cars for different markets with totally different come trim. So that in a market base paktet equipment is on the second market in higher or even high range of equipment. As an example I would take the U.S. market or the Middle East where the leather seats a standard equipment in Europe is the payment of 2900 $ -4300 $ depending on the market.
Means that in a country take the basic equipment package and you add the equipment of the other market comes as standard you get 50-80% higher price.
Since I see that you do not know different countries have different taxes on cars. These are the prices of basic Q5 2.0TFSI S tronic:
183.200 $ Singapore
136.520 $ Denmark
107.300 $ Malaysia
60.000 Euro Finland
50.300 Euro Croatia

These prices you can check out the web site audi.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts