Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Has anyone experienced a vibration through the steering wheel upon pulling away in first gear?
I have been informed it might be the dual mass flywheel dampers. Has anyone had this changed under warranty?
Cheers,
Lee

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sorry I cannot help you with this one as I don't have any issues at all. Strange you are feeling this through the steering wheel, that kind of looks like drive shaft or coupling issues. Flywheel will usually transmit vibration through the hole car.

Reactions: missile

·
Banned
801 Posts
I have been informed it might be the dual mass flywheel dampers. Has anyone had this changed under warranty?
Cheers,
Lee
Who gave you the information for "dual mass flywheel dampers" - First time I hear something so
Best to go in the service so that they checks. Here you will not get the right information based on your description
Individuals do not realize that this is a manual transmission

PS addition:
Because individuals erase what they wrote here's the proof

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers all,
It was actually pointed out to me by the Audi Assist Mechanic who came out to look at another noise on my car. Its booked to go in to Audi next week so should have it all sorted.
The mechanic said that they are common to go on the VAG cars, so I thought I would ask you all if you had the same, but obviously not.
The vibration is throughout the car instead of just the steering wheel as the mechanic felt it also when we did a test drive (he wasn't driving).
Not sure about the insults! I did put Manual in my post title :)

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Cheers all,
It was actually pointed out to me by the Audi Assist Mechanic who came out to look at another noise on my car. Its booked to go in to Audi next week so should have it all sorted.
The mechanic said that they are common to go on the VAG cars, so I thought I would ask you all if you had the same, but obviously not.
The vibration is throughout the car instead of just the steering wheel as the mechanic felt it also when we did a test drive (he wasn't driving).
Not sure about the insults! I did put Manual in my post title :)
If you check the link I posted you will see description of dual mass flywheel failure. It is not unique to VAG but many cars with a dual mass flywheel, e.g. Audi A3 2.0TDI. However it does not usually present as you first described, hence Doug's and my suggestion that it may be a.n.other component .................... i.e. those which would be common to manual and auto Q5s.

Failure of the dual mass flywheel is usually attributed to poor driving technique and I will be interested to see if this is covered by Audi warranty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After twice trying to replicate the vibration or shudder with Audi service in the car without it happening, they finally took it in to inspect. They have had it since Wednesday and probably won't have it back until Tuesday. Good news is they found the fault. There is an oil leak in the gearbox and has gone onto the clutch and dual mass flywheel. Oil leak will be fixed and new clutch an DNF fitted.
Once I get the Q5 back I'll know more and put it in the forum.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As this problem has affected the clutch, can I know did you feel nothing (no vibration) under you left foot on take off?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got the car back from Audi today. Problem was leaking seal from the input shaft seal in the bell housing. Oil had got onto clutch and flywheel. Replaced clutch and flywheel. All covered by the warranty. Seems like a pretty rare problem. Car drives much nicer now :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts