Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum

Just joined and thought I'd best introduce myself. I am strongly considering the Q5 as my next lease car, having looked at just about everything else on the market.

In the recent past, I've had BMW (X3 3.0D, 530D Touring), Mercedes (ML280, R280) and a Volvo XC60 D5.

The model I'm considering is the 3.0tdi S Line Plus with a limited number of options. Part of the reason for joining this community is to get to know which options are worth having and which are not.

Anyhow, I'm at the early stages of deciding on the next car, so plenty of time to figure it all out. :

·
Registered
706 Posts
Welcome Quatro. My signature tells you the extrasI have gone for. Let me know if you require reasons as to why I have gone for a specific extra.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

My provisional spec is as follows:
  • Daytona Grey or Moonlight Blue paint
  • Leather/Alcantara (or possibly full leather) - opinions welcome. I've had both types on previous cars and on the Q5 I think the Alcantara may lighten up the interior a bit.
  • Audi Drive Select - opinions welcome. Is it worth getting without getting Damper Control?
  • Audi Parking System Advanced - for the reversing camera
  • Door Mirrors - Folding and Heated. I've had folding mirrors on the last few cars, and apart from anything else, it's a great way of confirming if the car is locked or not...
  • Interior Light Package - it seems odd that the standard spec misses out on basics such as footwell lighting etc (Unless I have misunderstood...)
  • Panoramic Roof - I am concerned that a car with privacy glass, black interior and black headlining may be a bit dark, so the roof will give some light..
  • Tyre Pressure indicator - why not?
  • Off Road alloys - because I think they look better..

I'm interested to hear if I've missed any 'must have' items or indeed if I've specced anything that is a waste of time/money...

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Hi Quattro - can't believe no one else has taken that username yet!

Here's my pennies worth...

I would say add Hill Hold Assist, as with Tyre Pressure its a 'why not?' price and is a very handy gadget. Discussion here... http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/3473-hha/

Regarding Drive Select - there has been a lot of talk on here about it, specifically relating to the SQ5 as without it you don't have much control over when it makes the (artificial) V8 noise. I personally would spec it on a Q5 regardless (along with the HDD based Nav) as I like the control over the various settings in 'Individual'. Having said that, if you are not worried about the fancy sat nav, then it becomes an expensive option just to be able to set engine/gearbox aggressiveness. (note you need the HDD sat nav to get the 'Individual' option - otherwise Drive Select just gives you the 3 basic, Dynamic, Auto, Comfort options).
In summary - if you go with the HDD sat nav anyway you may as well add Drive Select, if you don't, then don't bother if you've not got the Damper Control and/or Dynamic Steering.

Just so you know - the folding mirrors tuck in on lock, but don't untuck until the ignition is turned on - so you can tell the car has been locked at some point, but it may have been unlocked since.

Other than that I think you've got a nice looking spec and I'm sure you'll love it should you go down this route!

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads-up on the HHA - it's now in the "Why not" bucket.

My understanding is that S Line Plus spec comes with the HDD Navigation system as standard, so adding Drive Select would give access to the "individual" options - could be worthwhile..

The comment about the folding mirrors is interesting and somewhat negates the usefulness as a way of confirming if the car is locked or not...

The problem with lease cars is that it becomes very transparent how much each 'extra' costs per month, and it is very easy to convince yourself that the gadget only costs £5 per month so why not... or conversely, ask yourself if you really want to pay £30 per month for a sunroof....

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I have a massive problem with option selection - as you can tell from my signature! I always get to the stage where you've spent thousands so what's another few hundred!

As you say, on a lease it does bring you back down to earth a bit when fitting to a budget - I was going to get a company car a couple of years back and found it really hard to justify what options were needed vs wanted when fitting to the allowed monthly budget. It's hard to tell until you have lived with the car - which as you say is where forums are really useful!

Whatever spec you pick though the Q5 is a great car!

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes.... your spec list is vast, although I notice you missed off the TV reception option - a bit of an oversight...

What about the flat-bottomed steering wheel? Good idea or bad idea?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yea - TV seemed a bit excessive at £800 and as I don't have kids... Didn't go with the pano roof either as is very expensive and I didn't want the extra weight up top - they look great though and do really lighten up the cabin.

I really like the flat bottom steering wheel, I think the round one is quite ugly TBF - a controversial topic though http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/2937-my14-spec-changes/page__st__40

·
Registered
768 Posts
I was also concerned about the dark interior without the sunroof. I revisited my dealer to check it out. Happy to say that it appears light enough without the sunroof (pleased as I'm not a sunroof fan). My only outstanding doubt on the spec is the all leather versus the alcantara seats (mainly from the wear perspective). I generally change my car after 3 years, so here's hoping the all leather can last that long without sagging.

Best wishes with your order.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
It is easy to run up a huge tab clicking options. What one person regards as a must have others live without. My options are
  • Daytona Grey or Moonlight Blue paint - A very personal choice = Misano Red
  • Leather/Alcantara (or possibly full leather) - opinions welcome. I've had both types on previous cars and on the Q5 I think the Alcantara may lighten up the interior a bit. I had Alcantara in my last Q5 and full leather in my SQ5. There are pros and cons for each
  • Audi Drive Select - opinions welcome. Is it worth getting without getting Damper Control? I don't have either
  • Audi Parking System Advanced - for the reversing camera I like this ........... a lot
  • Door Mirrors - Folding and Heated. I've had folding mirrors on the last few cars, and apart from anything else, it's a great way of confirming if the car is locked or not... A nice to have
  • Interior Light Package - it seems odd that the standard spec misses out on basics such as footwell lighting etc (Unless I have misunderstood...) I like this ........... a lot
  • Panoramic Roof - I am concerned that a car with privacy glass, black interior and black headlining may be a bit dark, so the roof will give some light.. I don't have this. A few owners have reported problems with sunroof. To overcome the overpowering all black, I specified two tone seats and silver headlining.
  • Tyre Pressure indicator - why not? I like this ........... a lot
  • Off Road alloys - because I think they look better.. These may be difficult to clean? I have the SQ5 wheels which are similar. I have flat bottom wheel and like that a lot. I regret not opting for HHA.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Is there a good thread on the pros and cons of Alcantara v's full leather?

As for the sunroof, I've not had one in a car for the past 10-15 years, so I'm hardly a fan of them... I'll have to check out a Q5 with black interior and black headlining. If I could do without the sunroof, so much the better, although the silver headlining is not an option on the S-line Plus spec...

The flat-bottomed wheel has been promoted into the "why not" bucket, and the folding mirrors are in the relegation zone.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The off road alloys are easy to clean, I have supagard protection on mine and the dust/dirt just falls off with a hose before taking a sponge to them.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Is there a good thread on the pros and cons of Alcantara v's full leather?

As for the sunroof, I've not had one in a car for the past 10-15 years, so I'm hardly a fan of them... I'll have to check out a Q5 with black interior and black headlining. If I could do without the sunroof, so much the better, although the silver headlining is not an option on the S-line Plus spec...

The flat-bottomed wheel has been promoted into the "why not" bucket, and the folding mirrors are in the relegation zone.
There is a thread about leather / alcantara if you search. http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/topic/3222-alcantara-versus-nappa-leather/page__fromsearch__1 You might want to consider advanced key and memory seats, great if another driver regularly uses the vehicle. PS: Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a thread about leather / alcantara if you search. http://www.myaudiq5....__fromsearch__1 You might want to consider advanced key and memory seats, great if another driver regularly uses the vehicle. PS: Welcome to the forum.
Thanks. Still finding my way around...

That thread tips the balance towards alcantara - which was probably my initial preference anyways... as for allowing other drivers........... no chance.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Another search tip - the forum search has a limit of minimum 4 characters, so if you search for ADS, or SQ5 it won't let you, so I often use Google and limit it to the site...
http://www.google.co.uk/#safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=site:myaudiq5.com+alcantara&oq=site:myaudiq5.com+alcantara&gs_l=hp.3...862.9651.0.10204.27.27.0.0.0.1.433.2515.22j2j2j0j1.27.0....0...1c.1.23.psy-ab..23.4.693.uZlBeZQJgr0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49967636%2Cd.ZWU%2Cpv.xjs.s.en_US.jOYpRJj4zMA.O&fp=32e2ade9af68ece3&biw=1920&bih=1090

This also means you can easily narrow your search by time etc as well with the search tools Google provide

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Another search tip - the forum search has a limit of minimum 4 characters, so if you search for ADS, or SQ5 it won't let you, so I often use Google and limit it to the site...
http://www.google.co...w=1920&bih=1090

This also means you can easily narrow your search by time etc as well with the search tools Google provide
Learn something every day

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nipped out to the dealer earlier today and had a quick sit in an S line... I have to say I found the interior very dark - even in a showroom - due to the black headlining. I think the panoramic sunroof would be a 'must have' for me in this car.......

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just thought I'd update this thread with a few bits of information:

1. My final spec is..

Q5 S Line Plus 3.0TDI S-Tronic
Daytona Grey
Some upholstery -> See below..
Off Road Style PQ7 Alloys
Interior Light Pack
Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel
Tyre Pressure Monitor
Hill Hold Assist
Audi Drive Select
Panoramic Sunroof
B&O Sound
Folding Mirrors

I have costed the car using both Personal Lease and PCP, and the difference is fairly marginal. The deposit and monthly payment are within a couple of quid of each other, but the lease includes the RFL costs for all 3 years. On the other hand, there is some potential that the PCP option would yield a small deposit for the next Audi in 3 years time.

So... two decisions remain..

1. The interior. The advice from my dealer is to go for the leather as it is far better for residual value. He claims the alcantara equipped cars tend to hang around longer, so dealers are less keen on them. My own preference is probably for the alcantara, simply because leather can ocasionally be too hot or too cold...

2. The financing method. Of course, if I go for a lease, I will not need to care about the residual-value impact of the alcantara and RFL is included... On the other hand, a PCP has more flexibility in case of changing circumstances..

Gonna place the order next week - one way or the other - for delivery next MARCH!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts