Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have been lurking in the background reading various postings and have joined you provisionally with a view to buying a Q5.

I currently run a Hyundai ix35 2.0 diesel FWD. I am not too impressed with build quality and after owning 3 audi's, 80, A3 and A4 have decided to return back to a 'well screwed together' motor.

My query is concerning the Q5 as a towing vehicle for a caravan as cannot find many postings referring to this aspect of ownership.

So I would be so grateful if anyone with experience or/and tips regarding towing would take the time to educate me with information I need to consider, or even to say it really is not a viable proposition.....

Many thanks....

Moby.....

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure there's enough knowledge on here to help you through your decision..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. Jose Robin T experience is rather unusual as towing a Trailer laden with an unwilling LCD screen would be very prone to external weather forces. A caravan is reasonably well behaved by comparison. I am sure as pointed out some valid points will be raised.

I went to my local dealer at the weekend to have a look round used stock and maybe secure a test drive. They did not have one q5 to look at besides the showroom model and no staff to talk to me after 45 minutes waiting. So I explained to receptionist could not wait any longer and she took my contact details saying that they would contact me. Lets say that Audi dealership in Stafford I shall be taking my business elsewhere as you obviously don't want mine. And this is the SECOND time over the years they have failed to return contact after calling into the dealership and cannot get served and then never call you. So annoying.....

·
Banned
289 Posts
Thanks all. Jose Robin T experience is rather unusual as towing a Trailer laden with an unwilling LCD screen would be very prone to external weather forces. A caravan is reasonably well behaved by comparison. I am sure as pointed out some valid points will be raised.

I went to my local dealer at the weekend to have a look round used stock and maybe secure a test drive. They did not have one q5 to look at besides the showroom model and no staff to talk to me after 45 minutes waiting. So I explained to receptionist could not wait any longer and she took my contact details saying that they would contact me. Lets say that Audi dealership in Stafford I shall be taking my business elsewhere as you obviously don't want mine. And this is the SECOND time over the years they have failed to return contact after calling into the dealership and cannot get served and then never call you. So annoying.....
I visited Crewe Audi (not too far away from Stafford), and they have quite a variety of Q5's, including 3 SQ5's (as of last week). So, looking at a car and grabbing a test drive was quite easy...

However, when it came to doing a deal, the salesman was unable to come up with a competitive offer. He promised to call me back with an update/improvement... He didn't...
His loss, as I've gone elsewhere.

·
Registered
433 Posts
As my previous 2 liter TDI A4 was an excellent towing vehicle I dint see why the Q5 will be anything less, but if you don't know how too tow you will make it hard for you and the car....

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quite a few practical training courses in Aberdeenshire for towing novices. I assume that's also the case throughout the UK. I should really go on one myself.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As my previous 2 liter TDI A4 was an excellent towing vehicle I dint see why the Q5 will be anything less, but if you don't know how too tow you will make it hard for you and the car....
Cheers DieselDoug. Not so much I cannot tow as looking to change vehicle and am sure you will agree not all vehicles shine in this department hence I am asking for opinions. An expensive mistake potentially otherwise.... I have only towed with the Hyundai at this time and yes I agree probably a towing course would not do me any harm..... Cheers Hectorshouse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts