Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I try to sync contacts from my iPhone 3G (4.2.1) with Audi's Q5 MMI 3G (HDD) and I face strange problem; I can easily pair devices and initiate the download. All contacts are downloaded, but also something more... contacts that I do not have in my Contacts on iPhone are also placed in MMI... Some are totally empty, some contain just name (at least this is what is visible in MMI). I made some investigation and I think I nailed it down to problem with Outlook 2010 and it's new feature called Suggested Contacts. It automatically creates Suggested Contacts Group in Outlook and adds there all contacts that do not match main Contacts entries. So quite quickly it is filled in with garbage. Idea is that you can pick some of these and after updating information add to regular Contacts. Result - you might find entries with just mail address that are transferred to MMI and shows as empty, because contains no information usable for MMI. So, I disabled this functionality in Outlook, I cleaned up this group in both Outlook and iPhone, I removed profile and all directory entries from MMI... I even reset MMI to factory settings... Whatever I do next time I sync MMI with iPhone these old dummy contacts are downloaded again from the phone. To me it seems to be problem of iPhone; I have ~140 contacts on iPhone in Contacts, but MMI shows downloading ~170. And the difference is garbage in question. So these contacts seems to reside somewhere on the device and are visible to MMI or are somehow 'cached' by MMI. I tried tools like ExcelContacts to re-import all contacts from/to iPhone and make cleanup, but no change. I even Jailbroken my device and deleted and recreated entire contacts database (AddressBook.sqlitedb), but these dumb staff is still there! E.g not visible on iPhone or in Outlook, but being downloaded to MMI. Any idea how to get rid of these? Please advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, not sure if this would help
Finally it turned out that this is MMI issue, somehow caching old entries. As described above I deleted and recreated the profile or even reset phone module to factory setting and MMI was showing loading from my phone 170 contacts instead of 140 that I have. At last step I decided to make something that in theory should not influence the whole process; I just changed the name of my iPhone and it fixed the problem! MMI recognized my iPhone as new device and made a proper full download of contacts; only 140 of them! So sorry to disappoint you, but Android could easily have the same problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Hi Mirekmal,

Like you I started to notice weird 'blank' entries appearing in my MMI telephone directory a few weeks ago and traced the problem back to an upgrade to Outlook 2010 with its new 'Suggested Contacts Feature'.

In my case (iPhone 4, not jail broken, latest IOS) the 'cure' proved far easier than your experience:

I simply either:-

1.) Moved the wanted 'Suggested Contact' entries to my main Contacts then added name and (where known) telephone numbers or,
2.) Just deleted all the unwanted ones.

In my case the replication between Outlook <-> iPhone and subsequently iPhone <-> MMI ensured that the only contacts displayed by my MMI were the (correct) ones contained in my main Outlook Contacts group.

I'm not sure why removing the spurious entries from displaying in MMI proved far more troublesome for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, process you described was what I expected it to be. So I was surprised too, why it didn't work for me... And first of all why MMI synced contacts that were not on iPhone... Maybe the problem was with very old device somehow fooling MMI (it is one of first iPhones 3G, so 2 generations back, but with all later firmware upgrades). Or maybe this is a glitch that was introduced by jailbreaking process... Anyhow I'm done for now
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top