Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, did a nice deed of dropping a colleague off home after work (as he had been in the pub all afternoon!). Pull out of his drive, round a bend, massive pothole, see it the last second but no time to react, BANG, heavy steering - SHIT! Drive a few hundred yards to reach a safe pull in as it was a pretty narrow road, no tyre sensor going off surprisingly!

Put the compressor on it, you could hear the air pissing out as fast as it went in so it has a big hole somewhere, damned if I could find it though. Didn't bother with the tyre gunk as that's only good for pin pricks!

Called Audi Recovery (who are the RAC really), who got a local tow company to come out in 1hr 10 mins - no bother as I just went back to my colleagues for a bit. He dropped it off at the local tyre place and then me home which was good of him - will call them in the morning and see what they damage is gonna be.

So questions...
Can I take tyre insurance now? As it is basically the cost of one tyre, seems like a good idea if it's possible? If I can take it can I get the tyre anywhere and bill them for it?
I'm thinking I should change both fronts to keep it even - will tyre insurance cover that as its STRONGLY recommended not to run uneven wear tyres on Quattro?

Any idea on how easy it is to claim from the council? And again, recover cost of 2 tyres from them? I took pics of the pothole - it was 5 inches deep and right where your nearside wheels would track - on top of that the rest of the road is a minefield - frankly you'd be lucky to get away without damaging your car on this road in question!

What's the deal if the rim is bent? Guessing only a normal insurance claim, or possible council compensation would do that, not tyre insurance?

Looking sorry for herself on the flatbed... (he let me drive it on/off which was quite good fun - small things!)

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sorry to hear that fella... if its any consolation I got a puncture on one my new winters, four days after they went on the car

·
Registered
74 Posts
Very frustrating. i just posted in another thread how my wife has just had her second puncture in under a month requiring two new tyres

·
Registered
103 Posts
I feel your pain.

I ran over a pothole in my 640d GC last year. I was on my 18" winters. If I had been on the normal 20" wheels I'm sure it would have cracked the wheel. It knocked out my alignment and it had to go to BMW for a full KDS adjustment: £300!!

Filled in all the forms for the council and got a standard "we haven't been negligent in our duty" letter back. Wrote back and got a similar reply. I had done a bit of research on some other forums and was expecting this as it seems incredibly hard to make a successful claim.

I could have taken it further but it gets to a point where your time is worth more than the amount you are seeking to recover.

Hope it is a easy and cheap fix for you.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Very unlucky, hassle you don't need.

Try here

http://www.potholes....p_by_step_guide

http://www.which.co....pothole-damage/

Surprisingly there are plenty of help sites on the subject, including the A.A and gov.uk etc, (probably R.A.C too, who helped you)

For many results, just type into google 'claim against council pothole damaged car'

Then next ofcourse, if the council try to fob you off ....there's the whiplash claim, get into your local council office with your neckbrace on !!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Damn bad luck Jose. My concern about tyre insurance cover is similar to yours. I'd want at least the 2 front tyres replaced and tyre insurance would only cover the damaged one. In fact depending on the tread left on the undamaged tyres I'd even consider replacing all 4 tyres after a puncture (which in your case isn't an issue). Good luck.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, just rang round the local tyre places, 4/5 can't get the tyre or if they can it would be mid next week.
The 1 place that can get them tomorrow is the one I happened to have it dropped on their forecourt - handy! And get this, £524 for 2 fronts fitted and the tracking done. I'm reserving judgement until I see the correct tyre turn up and with 'E' marks!
Best online price I can get for the same is just over £700!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ouch!

Have you tried these people: http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

Been using them for years. They come to you and if they scratch an alloy, the repair comes out their wages. Hence, they never scratch alloys!!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Ouch!

Have you tried these people: http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

Been using them for years. They come to you and if they scratch an alloy, the repair comes out their wages. Hence, they never scratch alloys!!
£306 per tyre - but don't appear to cover Dorset, tried Dorchester and Bournemouth post codes - put a Brighton one in to get it to give me a quote. Plus I can't wait, need the car ASAP. Just hope the above AMAZING deal works out OK tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Filled in all the forms for the council and got a standard "we haven't been negligent in our duty" letter back. Wrote back and got a similar reply. I had done a bit of research on some other forums and was expecting this as it seems incredibly hard to make a successful claim.
Yep, problem is everyone is claiming for everything kinda like the benefits systems - people find a way to extract money and they believe its their right to have it. Down side is the genuine people end up with all the grief/pain or losing out due to the abuse.

We have become a blame/claim why should i work society.
I also had a pot hole incedent happen about 2 years ago and i just lost the will to live. easier and cheaper to just pay it.

You don't need to replace the tyres are the same time, just make sure they are the same brand. I can't see you'll have 20k on the car by know and will have too much issues.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, problem is everyone is claiming for everything kinda like the benefits systems - people find a way to extract money and they believe its their right to have it. Down side is the genuine people end up with all the grief/pain or losing out due to the abuse.

We have become a blame/claim why should i work society.
I also had a pot hole incedent happen about 2 years ago and i just lost the will to live. easier and cheaper to just pay it.

You don't need to replace the tyres are the same time, just make sure they are the same brand. I can't see you'll have 20k on the car by know and will have too much issues.
Let's not get started on the welfare state thing! Although I agree with your statement!

I think I'll be happy with all new rubber up front, an extra few mil tread won't hurt what will all the recent rain! I'll keep the front offside for if it happens again - at least I'll have a spare on short notice then.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
No way! Sorry to hear that mate I hope it all gets sorted as quick as possible. Audi given you courtesy car?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Jose,
I understand the problem you had today, to help with the claim the car should have been photographed in the pothole showing damage done, name of road and approx area, then they have to pay out. Most people forget to do this and the claim may be rejected, I hope you get something out of it.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jose,
I understand the problem you had today, to help with the claim the car should have been photographed in the pothole showing damage done, name of road and approx area, then they have to pay out. Most people forget to do this and the claim may be rejected, I hope you get something out of it.
I took pics of the pothole at the time, but the car was 300 yards down the road as it was not a safe place to stop (just around a corner on a national speed limit narrow lane...)
I am going to go out tomorrow and take more pics in the light with a tape measure in the hole and also get snaps of the tyre damage when we find it (must be on the rear side and the wheel isn't off the car yet - I just went and dropped the key with the tyre place).
They will pay out - I can shout loudly when needs be! I just emailed the local paper as they happened to put a request out today for 'pothole stories'.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No way! Sorry to hear that mate I hope it all gets sorted as quick as possible. Audi given you courtesy car?
No - didn't ask for one, I have 2 other cars on the drive so it's no big deal and I happened to be working from home today anyway. Had I not been getting the new tyres tomorrow I may have been tempted to ask, but not sure if they offer it as part of the free roadside recovery?

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Sori 2 hear Jose,if u get that deal 2 mro i will b amazed,so cheap,good luck 🈲

Reactions: José

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 front tyres fitted for £500!!! I should have bought another pair at that price! He said they were very dusty so reckons they were dug out the back if the wholesalers warehouse and someone cocked the price up!
I checked them over and they had the 'E' mark etc, looked kosher to me!

He took a pic for me of the damage, the side wall blew out and there is a nick in the rim on the inside edge...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts