Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I took a test drive in the Macan with a view to maybe changing the SQ5 next year. The model was the diesel S with 20" wheels, white with black leather interior (same as the SQ5 as it happens)

First impressions were that the 20" wheels made the Porsche look small (something I don't notice with the Audi), there was another car next to it at the dealers with 21" wheels and it looked much better and bigger. Sitting in the drivers seat you really notice how big the centre console is, your knee tucks underneath it so it does not make a big difference but it feels a little tight.

It drove well, nice changes from the gearbox, good pull from the engine and nice sound. The suspension was very comfortable and it was winning me over. My wife and daughter were sat in the back and they hated it, they said the leather was hard and cheap feeling, the finish on the doors was plastic (compared to nice soft leather finish in the SQ), also they had much less room than the Audi.
When we stopped I sat in the back, my head touched the roof and my knees were up against the drivers seat - road test over and very pleased to report in my opinion the SQ is a much better choice as far as space, pace and value for money.

In the following days I drove the SQ from Yorkshire to Bristol and back, the car ran wonderful, it surprised a few people on the motorway while returning over 40MPG and I never felt I needed anything more.
Looks like it could be a keeper!

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Good morning,interesting review there,I've only seen one on the road,looked nice,I'm suprised there is such a difference in space in the back,I thought the 2 cars were the same size ,and I've never owned a Porsche but assumed bi other forum members comments that the Porsche leather would b of a better standard than our Audi,glad to hear or sq is still in front then 😄

·
Registered
952 Posts
Was the drop in power from the SQ5 to Macan noticeable, its over 50 bhp less.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Great review ,thanks for sharing

·
Registered
249 Posts
Good morning,interesting review there,I've only seen one on the road,looked nice,I'm suprised there is such a difference in space in the back,I thought the 2 cars were the same size ,and I've never owned a Porsche but assumed bi other forum members comments that the Porsche leather would b of a better standard than our Audi,glad to hear or sq is still in front then ������
Think the lack of space must be due to that slopping roof.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer the questions;
ref the power, it felt OK with 4 people in but of course I could not boot it as the salesman was sat next to me, nice and smooth delivery though.
The sloping roof is really noticeable in the back if you are 6ft/18 stone! I had the drivers seat in the normal position I use and I felt really cramped in the back whereas in the Q5 it is fine.
Maybe it was the choice of leather but it was hard and plastic feeling, not soft and supple like I have in the Audi. I must say I also have a Cayenne S and the leather is fine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Its a comparison I'd like to try as well as I'd like the option of adaptive (PASM in Porsche language) suspension which cant be had on the SQ5 for some reason

I have been waiting to see if the Bi Turbo engine was coming for the Macan but with a 12month + waiting list I may just put my name (and £3000) down

With Porsche you've got to dip into the options and the showroom Turbo and S that I looked at seemed of a much higher quality

1 - 7 of 7 Posts