Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have had my Q5 (2.0 TDI S-line S-tronic in the beautiful but much overlooked Deep Sea Blue) for 2 weeks and it has a couple of rattles that I am unable to locate. The local dealer was charming and willing to take it in but I know it will be a waste of time if I can't locate it in advance - it only seems to happen on a cold morning and by the time I get to the dealer it would have warmed up. I've even tried letting the other half drive (!) and sitting in the front/back to locate it but of course it doesn't occur then. But every morning on the way to the station, there it is...

It is a rattle rather than a creak, only happens at under 30 miles an hour when accelerating through the early gears (most vibration at that point) and it seems to be coming from the passenger side. It could be the door card (which would be difficult as it would be internal), it could be something in or under the seat, or it could even be the passenger side vent/speaker. Incredibly difficult to locate from the passenger side.

Here's what I've tried:-

Taken everything out of the car
Left glove box open
Moved seat into every combination of positions
Fiddled with every angle of the vent
Taped up the little plastic end piece on the seat slider rail
Move the seat belt height adjustment

It *could* be coming from the back, or at least the pillar between the front and back doors.

I will have to try getting up early tomorrow and going out with the other half again - but for sure if I am not driving it wont happen.

I am incredibly sensitive to rattles/creaks and its driving me up the wall!

Other than that I love the car - especially the look of it with the blue/silver. Only other niggle is the much discussed s-tronic lag on take off from standstill.

Thanks for any suggestions - project for the weekend!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Seat belt tensioners?
Boot cover (Parcel shelf)?

Just 2 more things to check

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had a similar rattle in my last car. I resolved it by plugging all the rear seatbelts in their sockets.
Fixed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had my Q5 (2.0 TDI S-line S-tronic in the beautiful but much overlooked Deep Sea Blue) for 2 weeks and it has a couple of rattles that I am unable to locate. The local dealer was charming and willing to take it in but I know it will be a waste of time if I can't locate it in advance - it only seems to happen on a cold morning and by the time I get to the dealer it would have warmed up. I've even tried letting the other half drive (!) and sitting in the front/back to locate it but of course it doesn't occur then. But every morning on the way to the station, there it is...

It is a rattle rather than a creak, only happens at under 30 miles an hour when accelerating through the early gears (most vibration at that point) and it seems to be coming from the passenger side. It could be the door card (which would be difficult as it would be internal), it could be something in or under the seat, or it could even be the passenger side vent/speaker. Incredibly difficult to locate from the passenger side.

Here's what I've tried:-

Taken everything out of the car
Left glove box open
Moved seat into every combination of positions
Fiddled with every angle of the vent
Taped up the little plastic end piece on the seat slider rail
Move the seat belt height adjustment

It *could* be coming from the back, or at least the pillar between the front and back doors.

I will have to try getting up early tomorrow and going out with the other half again - but for sure if I am not driving it wont happen.

I am incredibly sensitive to rattles/creaks and its driving me up the wall!

Other than that I love the car - especially the look of it with the blue/silver. Only other niggle is the much discussed s-tronic lag on take off from standstill.

Thanks for any suggestions - project for the weekend!
Sunroof? Mine rattles....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I feel for you mate, my A4 had numerous rattles when I first got it, they drove me nuts, and to be honest after about 4 visits to the dealer, they found them, but they came back again.

Something worth trying is the airvent in the centre of the dash, that's where it came from on my A4. They removed it and re-sealed it all with special silicon (they said)....seemed to work for a while at least.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
try putting some grease on the rear seat catches,or they may need adjusting slightly has been mentioned before.if it stops when people are in the back could be the problem.Have just discovered that our ashtray makes the very slightest noise when closed will be sorting that the weekend!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a similar rattle on the passenger side of the car, drove me nuts??

In the end I tracked it down to the lower seat belt anchor point; the bit in between the front and rear doors.

I identified the cause by fastening the front passenger seat belt (with the seat empty) and then locking the belt up and putting tension on the lower anchor point. Under tension the rattle stopped ~ release the tension it came back etc.

In the end I put some thick grease on the lower anchor point, just enough to stop the assembly rattling.

Good luck with the hunt??.

·
Registered
963 Posts
If there is a plastic stud on the seatbelt to stop the baynet sliding down the belt when hanging up.......it could just be that causing the rattle as was the case with my last car. That's why I left them done up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi dnp
Check out my NOISE topic (May 3) and you will see I had the same type noise which I managed to solve.
Bill

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Bill & Lad's suggestions seem like they could be right on the money for this particular problem- will test tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A big thank you for all the suggestions, especially to to the Lad-

In the end I tracked it down to the lower seat belt anchor point; the bit in between the front and rear doors.
This was exactly the issue. Just tapping the belt against the anchor point made exactly the sound. I had previously tried plugging the passenger belt in - but not put it under tension. Doing this cured the rattle - I've left it like this for now and will investigate a more permanent solution at the weekend. They clearly forgot to put felt backing on this part, as they have done with most of the others.

Two days on the station run with no damn rattle from the passenger side - yipee!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great news! ~ glad I could help.

I used a small account of thick grease to 'retain' the anchor ring on the bolt ~ worked for me.

Cheers,

Lee.

A big thank you for all the suggestions, especially to to the Lad-

This was exactly the issue. Just tapping the belt against the anchor point made exactly the sound. I had previously tried plugging the passenger belt in - but not put it under tension. Doing this cured the rattle - I've left it like this for now and will investigate a more permanent solution at the weekend. They clearly forgot to put felt backing on this part, as they have done with most of the others.

Two days on the station run with no damn rattle from the passenger side - yipee!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Suggestion

If you fix this yourself Audi will never know there is a problem and thus it will never be cured

OR

Get the dealer to fix it and report it to Audi as an issue as you are not the first on here to have it

·
Registered
130 Posts
I totally understand the argument for getting the dealer to fix the problem - but on the other hand it is a major inconvenience to me as the dealer is in the next city and I commute to London meaning that it needs to be a two day job (drop off one morning, pick up the next). It is just not worth it for the sake of sticking a bit of felt on the back of the mount point. I'll probably do a better/neater job myself in any case.

P.S. for those interested I have just posted a pic of the beast in the Readers Drives forum

·
Registered
963 Posts
Surely they could do a 5 min fix like that while you wait
But as long as it's sorted that's the main thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts