Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone !! I have a New Q5 (60 plate). Before it was delivered I was loaned a A6. This car like mine had the MMI system in, but when I looked through the music section i`m sure it showed the visual covers of the artist (like cd cover pictures) as well as the track information. I cannot see how to achieve this on my Q5 MMI which only shows the written text. Someone impress me !!! Help...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply.
It`s weird because I know I saw that feature simliar to the hook you sent on the `59 plate A6 I had. I was told by the Sales exec. that the MMI in the A6 was the same as what was going to be installed in my Q5?
Like I said it looked like a CD cover on the screen, could it be displayed like this using a iphone or iplayer ???????

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
It`s weird because I know I saw that feature simliar to the hook you sent on the `59 plate A6 I had. I was told by the Sales exec. that the MMI in the A6 was the same as what was going to be installed in my Q5?
Like I said it looked like a CD cover on the screen, could it be displayed like this using a iphone or iplayer ???????
Well it certainly doesn't do it when using an ipod Touch!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry but your Q5 cannot do this, period. Neither could your 59 A6 (display album cover art from connected device). It requires next gen MMI (looks like A1 will also get it) and iOS 4.0 which was only released in June. BMW have just started implementing this too in the new X3.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any idea when the new MMI will be available in the Q5?
Will coverflow only work with ipods/mp3 players? - or sd cards and hard drive too?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not sure. Perhaps with the hybrid ie 2011?

The way coverflow works is to use an API exposed in iOS 4.0 which allows the iPod/Phone screen to be output to a connected device. So its displaying it rather than the car. Therefore for a SD card or HDD to do it would require a separate implementation and I suspect Apple has a patent on coverflow in any case? So the display would have to be somewhat different and having two different displays in one MMI gives them a great excuse not to do it!

...but they might pleasantly surprise us. Doubt it though as A1 is quoted as artwork "from a connected iPod/iPhone".

In that situation I would just buy an iPod touch and leave it permanently in the car if that turns out to be the case.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I wouldn't have thought it was a major issue for SD Cards or mass storage devices - only a case of displaying the embedded artwork - even my TV can manage it. Not sure how easy it is to display album art from an iPod though - Apple, like Microsoft, love to force you down one particular path. My guess is that it will become common place in the very near future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts