Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been itching to get rid of the silver trim on my car and after weighing up all the options i've decided to do it my self with Plasti Dip.

My aim is to do front grill, fog light grill, roof rails, rear roof spoiler, window trim and possibly my alloys.

I was aiming to do the grill and fog light grill at the same time but as I'm new to Plasti Dip i thought I would try the fog grills first, which I have now done.

Stock look
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Window

Masked up and applied 4 coats, each coat needs 20-30mins to dry.
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille

Finished result
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

I will update this thread as I do more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @missile , I've watched many videos on Plasti Dip working well with alloys just not sure i'm confident enough to do it at the moment as you have to get really even coverage so its not thin in areas and potentially come of in spots. I'd personally rather have my wheels sprayed professionally but that will have to wait.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,219 Posts
Looks good (y) Would be interested to have an update on how long it lasts and/or holds up to road rash. Hopefully it holds up well.
Whats next wheels / roof rails?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks @SQ-Raphster , Yeh will definitely report back on durability, already done a few motorway runs and a few hundred miles and so far so good. Either way its also very easy to touch up if theres some rips/damage.

Yes I may do the roof rails or window trim next, i would love to do the alloys but still feel like i need more practice first, so if i do them it will prob be one of the last things.

One thing i forgot to mention in my original post is i used the new Plasti Dip Black Glossy which looks way better than the standard matte version

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Today I decided to tackle the rear end. Attempted to do roof spoiler and badges.
Stock look
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Masked up
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille

I did 5 coats
Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Grille Vehicle registration plate

After i did the last coat unfortunately and in typical british summer style we had an unexpected drizzle :confused: so I attempted to cover the spoiler as it had been around 15 mins after i sprayed the last coat so it should have been dry enough, but there was one spot it stuck too and lifted the dip 🤯
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

In all honesty though I wasn't happy with the job I did on the spoiler, you can see from the picture its a little textured. I didn't do the layers wet enough.

This is how it turned out
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

I have peeled off the dip on the spoiler and will try again when the weather clears up.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,219 Posts
Badges look good (y) :cool: Not sure about the spoiler even if it was not spoiled. I would target the roof rails / window trims before the roof spoiler.

Reactions: missile

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks @SQ-Raphster , I agree that probably more needs to be black before the spoiler :) and I don't know if i can get the finish I want on it so i may leave it. The reason i didn't go for the window trim yet is it takes allooot of prep because of how the rub door trim leans up against the silver window trim. You have to use 'trim masking tape' and peel the top edge of the rubber trim back to create the gap so you can peel the dip of after to create the clean edge, also not getting any on the rubber trim which apparently is real pain to get off.

This plasti dip video explains the process perfectly.

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,219 Posts
Intresting video, but I don't think its quite the same scenario for plasti dipping the silver trim on a Q5. Where the rubber trim of the door rests on the silver trim just spray with the door open and mask off the opening? Vinyl might also be an option?

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes Vinly could well be a good option tbh :)

The reason I wouldn't plasti dip the silver trim with the door open is the prep involved as I would have to mask off the the opening and the door that is open. I also park my car on a street as you can see from the pics so its not practical either 😅

The trim mask tape means I could do it with the doors shut and it also helps to provide that clean cutting/peal edge when you remove the access spray.

In other news, I decided not to plasti dip my alloys (not confident enough) and I'm getting them sprayed hopefully in the next few weeks 😀

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,219 Posts
Came across this, and thought it might be useful to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts