Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my car has mmi3g high prep and a phone cradle in the armrest, which I have never bothered using. It also has a SIM card slot in the dash.

I have always just used the Bluetooth phone connection, but wondered, apart from charging, is there any advantage to getting the cradle - or is it just a £100 charger?

My phone is iphone 5.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I thought low prep had the cradle, high did not...

Because you have an iphone you are basically screwed though!

The Low prep has a cradle to allow the car to take control of the phone, use external aerial and charge it etc. iPhone's don't allow the external control over lightning connector. So it will only charge it.

The High prep uses bluetooth Remote SIM Access Profile (RSAP) to do the same thing, the car has a built in GSM module and will use external aerial - the idea is as the phone is no longer tx/rx via its aerial it essentially goes to sleep meaning no need to plug in and charge as the battery is barely used. iPhones don't allow RSAP.

The SIM slot in the dash is to use the built in GSM module in the 'traditional' fashion - its basically a car phone then. Problem with this, is UK operators will not give you a second SIM with the same number, so you have to have a separate number in the car (impractical at the least). So you think OK, I'll put the SIM in the car and use it for data to use the Google Earth/Google Destinations/Online Traffic info, and bluetooth/cradle my phone for calls. This is only possible on MY14 cars - on <MY13 cars if a SIM is in the slot, no phone can connect over bluetooth handsfree. There is supposedly an update coming for older cars to allow simultaneous SIM+Bluetooth handsfree about now - I am waiting for my delaer to invite me in for the update! I am planning to have a SIM in the car for data and my iPhone bluetoothed for calls/music.

So the interesting part in your case is you appear to have high prep as the SIM slot is present, but low prep as the cradle is...? (Unless the SIM slot is present in Low prep in which case you have low but I'm pretty sure its only on High).
I also believe the Audi Connect Google services are only available with High prep as well.

The other option is armrest cradle is a retrofit? Have you had the car from new?

Not all the answers but hopefully some help!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Further to this, it is Tech Pack High which adds the SD slots under the little flap with the SIM slot as well, so I wander if with this pack the SIM slot is present but not usable if Phone Prep Low was selected. This may be another possibility in your case, and you in fact have Low prep, hence the cradle.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has a sim slot under the same flap as the sd cards and the armrest cradle is definitely factory???

I did note that the iphone5 cradle adapter from Audi says Bluetooth only - so I guess it just acts as a support and charger - aka - pretty much a waste of time.

Can't imagine Audi updating the software for pre 13 cars, but we can live in hope.

Thanks mark

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yea, the cradle will just be a very expensive charge in your case.

Have you tried putting a SIM in the a lot and seeing if it works? You'll have to find someone with a phone that takes a full size SIM as the iPhones microsim won't fit.

Also, when in Nav, if you go to the top right 'Info' do you then then 'Audi Connect' in the top right?
It's a well worth it service (although you will have to live with the SIM being the car phone to use it rather than your iphone for calls).

But anyway, in answer to your original query, cradle probably not worth it!

Cheers, José

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts