Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a dilemma with paying for my car. I've just seen slimtim1's post about his SQ5 pickup disaster and got me thinking about my situation. Due to pickup my SQ5 on Thursday which I ordered via Drive the Deal due to the discount I could achieve and the dealership is 200 miles away. The dealership is not unreasonably requesting full payment for the car before I drive it away which is fair enough but I haven't even seen the car yet so I'm a bit nervous about paying a quite large amount of money for something I've not yet seen particularly in light of slimtim1's experience with his car. The first time I see the car will be collection day and I might be worrying over nothing here or in fact something beyond my control regardless of how I paid for the car but being my own money it's making me a bit nervous.

Also wasn't sure about the method of payment. Cash is a no-no considering the amount we're talking about so that leaves faster payment and CHAPS. I think faster payment is also not an option due to the varying limits each bank have for this and mine seemingly stating no more than £25k. Is there another option I haven't considered?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always used debit card, no matter how expensive the car. Just phone your bank prior to transaction and never had a problem.

·
Registered
503 Posts
We paid by direct bank transfer but had to do it in 2 lumps due to the limit Nat West lets you transfer. This was immediately with them and we asked for confirmation after we sent each payment which they happily did.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yep - debit card has no limit - if the funds are present it will go through. As suggested, let me bank know, although in my experience they usually say there isn't anything they can do. What has happened to me a couple of times is the transaction gets declined, and no more than 30 seconds later my phone rings, its the bank, I say its OK, process the payment, get the clerk to try again and off you go... (this is with HSBC BTW)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Anyone had any problems with the dealership refusing to tax/register the car before payment or are they happy for you to turn up on the day and pay in full then sort it out?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
They should tax/register it before no problem.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I can understand them not registering it before someone pays, if for some reason something goes wrong they are left with a car registered. Slightly different for someone buying on finance as this will be pre approved.

Just depends how cautious the dealer are as its highly unlikely a customer would not pay at that stage.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I was told I had to pay before they could register the car which i was happy to do.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My first car from Aberdeen Audi and they registered and organised tax disc prior to payment. No previous deposit when I ordered and I paid for the car by debit card on the day of collection.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paying before I drive the car away is fine, I just want to make sure everything is ok with the car before I hand over my money and I've already paid a £2k deposit.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I have paid by direct debit from my bank account. However, if I were you I would phone the bank and dealer before hand just to make sure there are no unforeseen problems on the day.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Worst thing i have ever had is during payment, the transaction gets flagged on the machine and they have to call for verification.
Personally, while it takes an extra 5mins of your life id rather speak to someone and confirm its a valid payment than have to try an claim back for fraud.

You'll be fine.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Like some others here I used a debit card on the collection day after checking I had a cleared balance in my account to cover it. I told my bank beforehand but they said they didn't need to know about an unusually large transaction (strange really)> All was well on the day. You won't get a tax disc on the day due to changes at DVLA last Sep. You will however get a doc to keep in your car for a couple of weeks until your disc arrives (for the last time - no actual physical disc from Sep 2014). ENJOY!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I paid by Debit Card and was passed to fraud prevention to ask a few questions. Only took a couple of minutes. You can pay any amount on a debit card if you have sufficient cleared funds in your account.

As far as I know the Banks cannot automaticlly register the fact you have called in advance to prevent a fraud check. I believe they put a memo on your account that can be seen by an advisor confirming you called but this is not recognised when you pay via POS.

To be honest when I paid on my card I expected a check even though I had called in advance.

I'd suggest taking a statement with you as they can ask questions during the check about specific transactions you have paid and I can never remember amounts and dates.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts