Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

As a newcomer to this great forum I thought I'd better introduce myself.

Like many of you out there I too am in the early stages of the Q5 gestation period. Having owned 8 consecutive Audis, mostly a variety of A4 / A6 saloons and Avants, I've taken the plunge and gone for my first 4x4/SUV (not really sure what you should call a Q5). This is something I never intended doing, but following intensive lobbying from Mrs Haddock, and a desire for something a little different, the order has been placed.

Having been loyal to Audi for so many years I did what I always do when its time to change and announced that this time I'd go for something that isn't an Audi, and definitely isn't one of the endless shades of Grey/Silver. Having test driven (and rejected) the Evoque, 5 Series Touring, Jag Sportbrake and various offerings from Volvo and the rest I'd pretty much decided it was going to have to be an A6 Avant. Thats when Audi UK stepped in and offered me a Q5 demonstrator for a week. I got in it for the first time wanting to hate it, well I couldn't have been more wrong. What a car! civilised, practical, fun, stylish and well equipped, it blew me away. At the end of the week I really didn't want to give it back, so the decision was made.

Now the difficult part, the options list! over the space of 3 weeks it went from a sensible basic spec to pretty much fully loaded. The real dilemma though was choosing the colour. Apologies if this offends anyone, and I recognise colour choice is a very personal thing, but the thought processes going on in my head were this: First choice was one of the whites, but then a mate mentioned white vans and I couldn't get away from that image. Second choice, Scuba Blue, looks fabulous on the demonstrator in the showroom, but then I got home and realised 3 elderly neighbours drive Kias, Golfs and a Skoda in pretty much the same colour. Had black before, looks great for 10 minutes after a wash and wax, but a nightmare to keep it that way. Cuvee, looks great in the flesh, but why did Mrs Haddock have to go and refer to it as Beige? So Daytona Grey it is then. The dealer (Newbury Audi) is still forecasting mid Jan delivery (order was placed late July) so I'm just hoping there's no slippage on that.

This is a great forum by the way. Its been invaluable in helping me to decide on spec and colour etc and really refreshing to read a forum where everyone is so polite and helpful.

Cheers, Steve

P.S. Although common sense prevailed in my choice of model I am now questioning whether I should have gone for the SQ5 having read how much you're all enjoying yours. Have to see how we get on with this one and maybe thats the upgrade path.

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Hi welcome - great introduction! Really enjoyed reading it.

To answer your last question - yes, you should have gone for the SQ5 - but I am of course biased! But you'll enjoy the Q5 all the same and as you say, you can always upgrade - residuals are so good you shoudn't lose out too much if you chop it in after a year say.

Anyway - glad you have enjoyed the forum in silent form so far - I look forward to hearing your thoughts first during the excruciating wait, and then more importantly post delivery!

José

·
Registered
877 Posts
A very warm welcome and thanks for the detailed introduction. I too am biased like Jose and think you should have gone for the SQ5
I look forward to seeing your pics, once you have delivery. Meantime enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
768 Posts
And welcome from me. Great choice of car and colour. I'm waiting for delivery as well, although I understand from my dealer that my Q5 is being built this coming Monday. Just need a delivery date now.

Best wishes.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Speak nicely to your dealer and ask him to change your order to an Audi exclusive colour SQ5.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Welcome aboard,the benefits to the q5 to other makes ,are size for parking ,mpg quite good,residues are v good,and there gr8 looking,as 4 model,I had a 2 litre d s line and was happy,but it did make me upgrade 2 the sq5,and it is a weapon when you want it to be,or a lamb when on a go slow,I'd say get the sq5,but I am biased,every 1 who's had a go loves it,and can't believe the pull,it's like a train,seriously quick,and smoothe,it's suttely powerful 😄

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome Chaps. The comments about the SQ5 really aren't helping with the buyer's remorse
. There's a Mini JC Works in the garage for those "Carlos Fandango" days, so common sense prevailed with the day to day car......... this time

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Do not ever take a test drive in an SQ5, or you will bitterly regret your decision ................

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Welcome to the board. Sell the Mini and add the dosh to the Q5 fund, I think I saw one of those in the rear view mirror of the SQ or maybe it was a spec of dust??? As missile has so rightly said don't ever test drive one, in fact don't even get in earshot (cos they sound gorgeous too) or look at the threads on SQ5 fuel economy either (comparable to the 2.0 TDI) or possibly even a bit better....

In all sincerity for straight-line performance outrageous fun the SQ is all the practicality of a Q5 plus the fun of a high performance car, oh dear this isn't helping at all is it?

Reactions: Estoril SQ5

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Captain Haddock - welcome to the forum. Like you I also went for Daytona Grey but I ended up at this colour through elimination rather than picking it out as that's the colour I want. As you say colour is personal choice but for me I like to have a car being a 'colour' rather than a shade of grey/white/black etc. I find on the Audi colour range there isn't a bright red or blue etc. which I would have chosen. I didn't want to pay the extra for an exclusive colour but if I could have had any colour I would have gone for Sprint Blue. Having said that they do look ever so smart in Daytona Grey from the pictures I have seen - just another 5 months or so until mine arrives!
Cheers,
DaytonaP

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The models are pretty much a muchness.
if you would had ordered the 30tdi, i would say you are crazy not to change it to an SQ.

But the 2.0TDI is a fine and more than acceptable car in every respect.

·
Banned
289 Posts
if you would had ordered the 30tdi, i would say you are crazy not to change it to an SQ.
Gotta be honest and disagree with this. The SQ5 is a slightly different type of car than the Q5 3.0tdi, and I think it's aimed at a different type of punter. The 3.0tdi is a good, solid performer with plenty of urge for give and take UK driving, whereas the SQ5 is intended to take the performance to the next level, accompanied by the 'go faster' bits and pieces - lowered suspension, synthesised sound and such.

For me, the SQ5 is a tiny bit 'shouty', so I chose a 3.0tdi, but each to his own.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Given the price difference i really don't see the point of the 30Tdi tbh.
Audi need to either drop the price or do something more with it if they want to maintain sales within the range.
The newer 20TDI engine will land soon and narrow the gap in terms of performance.

Shouty, Hmmm, you could label it many things, not sure that one applies in my eyes
The only thing is the 4 pipes at the back, this is more of a S corp policy than anything else - I would personally happily trade them for singles on each side.

20TDI is fine

Everyones requirements are slightly different and those view are what give us colour.
Its not right and wrong..

·
Banned
289 Posts
Adjusted for spec, there is quite a large price difference between the 3.0tdi and the SQ5 - easily the same gap as between 2.0tdi and 3.0tdi.

And, the 'shouty' part of the SQ5 is the simulated sound...

As I said - each to his own.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This may be immaterial to most, but for me the Q5 wins due to its extra ground clearance and approach angles etc. it's not that much more, but then living where I do it works best for me. Otherwise, I'd probably have gone for the SQ5, although as Quattro states, when you add on the extras to the SQ5 the price difference is quite significant. In addition it begins to approach the new RR Sport price (and that's really tempting). Anyway, at the end of the day, it's purely a personal choice, and when they build mine on Monday, it's probably too late for me to change my mind.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Your Q5 is due for delivery Jan, you have months to change spec for your order and it is never to late to change your mind with a "good" dealer. My dealer let me cancel Q5 and order SQ5. He had no trouble selling my old order to a.n.other client.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Mine has gr8 spec and with discount is over 20k cheaper than the new sport,I looked @ it ,and spec 4 spec it would have bin 72k,and it don't sound anywhere near as throaty as sq5,the mpg,is way out,and is milles behind performance ,and in my experience the range rover brand wipes out shit loads of £ ,I've lost more £ on 1 range rover than I have on all my audis put together,plus there not as mich fun to drive,on the plus side they do look expensive ,but there again they are in comparison,best feature on range rovers is both mirrors dip when reversing,and reset once engadged into drive,so you can c b4 you pull away,unfortunately audis don't readjust till you've pulled away and reached over 5 mph,or you have 2 turn mirror knob to reset b4 pulling away,as for ground clearance,yes the sq is 30mm lower,wich looks great and handles even better,but prob a bit to low 4 a bit off off raiding,whatever you end up with Audi I'm sure you'll enjoy it,for fun ,power and mpg I don't think there's any other SUV that touches it @the mo,I've had ranges,x5s,and x6,and the sq5 is my fav 2 date,2nd was the x6,most people say ugly,but the handling was like a sports car,performance gr8,and I liked the aggressive stance,to b honest,I think it probe rely handled better than my sq,only just though,lol 😄

·
Banned
289 Posts
Being something of a newbie I guess I'm not supposed to comment on the appalling use of slang / abbreviations and txt spk in the above post..... So I will not....

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Sounds like my kids! Not to worry though Daza I could understand ;-)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts