Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I recently bought my new Q5 in Thailand. It is an import from a UK dealer.

Car parks are always over flowing here so the norm is to park your car directly in front or behind another car. ie...able to fit more cars on the lot. The car is locked and left in neutral without engaging the handbrake. The parking lot is of course level so no chance of the car rolling away. The idea is so the car can be pushed aside for the other car to exit.

Question - is it possible with the Q5? <<< I don't think it is

·
Registered
578 Posts
I know its possible in my manual version but the auto will not let you remove the key until you are in Park I believe.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That sounds crazy, do you push the cars by hand or nudge them with your car?

·
Banned
801 Posts
Gents,

I recently bought my new Q5 in Thailand. It is an import from a UK dealer.

Car parks are always over flowing here so the norm is to park your car directly in front or behind another car. ie...able to fit more cars on the lot. The car is locked and left in neutral without engaging the handbrake. The parking lot is of course level so no chance of the car rolling away. The idea is so the car can be pushed aside for the other car to exit.

Question - is it possible with the Q5? <<< I don't think it is
It is impossible for automatic gearboxes
How do you remove the key if the shift lever not in position P ??????

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think old Datsun's will let you do this - that's what I'd be getting anyway if I lived round your parts and had other people nudging it out the way all the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a common thing to allow your car to be pushed around by "caring" people in this part of the world. It's all about fitting as many cars as possible.

My previous car was a Honda Accord (auto) made in Thailand. All you did was put gear shift in Park, turn off engine and remove key. There is a slot near the gear shift to then slot your key in and it would allow the gear shift to be moved to neutral. Most auto cars made for the asian market have this slot.

I was just curious if there was any way to do something like this with the Q5.

·
Banned
801 Posts
It is a common thing to allow your car to be pushed around by "caring" people in this part of the world. It's all about fitting as many cars as possible.

My previous car was a Honda Accord (auto) made in Thailand. All you did was put gear shift in Park, turn off engine and remove key. There is a slot near the gear shift to then slot your key in and it would allow the gear shift to be moved to neutral. Most auto cars made for the asian market have this slot.

I was just curious if there was any way to do something like this with the Q5.
It is not normal for safety reasons that the key can be removed if gearboxes not in a position P.
This is a new system of electric hand brake is not mechanical as in old model cars.
It is impossible to remove key in the Mercedes and BMW, if gearboxes not in position P.
What happens if you remove the key and exit the car. If an accident occurs, you can to sue the car factory
Good luck with Asian cars where more than 60% of cars do not meet safety standards. (I know because I was alive 6 years in Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam)
Sorry for my English

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you have the comfort key option (keyless entry and start) then you can do it with no problem..... well actually that's not entirely true, you can do it but then you can't actually lock the car unless you put the tranny into "P".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts