Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cannot find anything on here about this.

Has anyone painted theirs and if so what did you use.

I have found these two but not sure about them.

Foliatec

or this POR15

Any advice appreciated.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Had a quote from a company in Essex, £130 front and rears ,needed the car for a day,they take off the car paint and bake and then put back on ,I didn't think that was dear, I didn't go ahead because a assume it would invalidate warranty on brakes,and our q5 calipers aren't that large,so wasn't sure how much impact the new colour would achive , the company number is 01462680990 😄

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a quote from a company in Essex, £130 front and rears ,needed the car for a day,they take off the car paint and bake and then put back on ,I didn't think that was dear, I didn't go ahead because a assume it would invalidate warranty on brakes,and our q5 calipers aren't that large,so wasn't sure how much impact the new colour would achive , the company number is 01462680990 ������
Many thanks for the info.

The job doesn't look too hard to DIY and I would be willing to do it with the right paint.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Painted the callipers on my last two cars and have always used 'Savage" calliper paint. I used the Gunmetal to get as near to original and got great results. Its available from Amazon/Ebay etc.

·
Banned
202 Posts
Whilst I'd never pay the Audi price for a bit of red paint, a cost effective DIY job if it looks the business might appeal. Anyone got any pics of modded calipers?

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Mine r not red from factory,I had them painted wen my wrap was done ,£300 was the price,they've done a good job ????

Reactions: ictbydesign

·
Banned
202 Posts
Looks like a professional job.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Ye no brush marks,they have a ceramic look and stand out well against the satin grey ????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do the calipers have to be removed for this? I'm presuming it cant be done properly without removing them first which sounds like a huge faff for anyone who isn't used to doing it regularly.

I currently have red but would consider changing them to black when I eventually get them done so I guess that's going to need doing properly for a decent lasting finish.

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was concerned about the long term look of the calipers as the wheels are very open with so few spokes so I sprayed mine in situ with Halfords silver caliper aerosol and high temp clear varnish after very careful masking when the car was one day old. Now 8 months and 6,000 miles later they look pristine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
On this subject.

I had a new Audi Q7, and used the hand car washes in my area, had 2 new sets of wheels under warranty due to corrosion (2 piece wheels) and calipers were soon looking bad.

Since then I have never used hand car washes, and do not let service departments wash my cars with their corrosive fluids ( I checked cleaning fluids at Range Rover dealer as my daughters Evoque calipers are bad after 1st service clean), only Tesco hand car washes uses Autoglym products and they are fine.

My sons Golf was 3 years old and calipers still looked immaculate with shiny cadmium plating, but he had to use the Polish hand car wash ONCE, and they are now fu..ed and going rusty, they must be using brick cleaner on them (hydrochloric acid) ..................like our local bodyshop was (true).

I have a 3 year old Caravelle that has only been washed by myself and Tesco, and all calipers and wheels look nearly new with shiny cadmium plating looking good, my wife traded her 4 year old Toyota in with calipers in same condition and dealer asked us if we had replaced them recently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very interesting.........where abouts in essex are you????

I got a met silver q5......id like mine done but not sure what colour for the calipers???

·
Registered
83 Posts
Update on brake caliper condition, I just swapped the wheels front to back at 10,000 miles and gave everything a wash with hot soapy water. Really pleased with the result. See pics

In addition to painting and lacquering the calipers when the car was new I treated the insides of the rims with wheel sealant, gave the rims another spray before I refitted them.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi TGR - not being cheeky here, but don’t you wash the insides of your wheels when washing them at weekends or whatever? I have the similar five star style which came as standard on my S-line. I love them as it’s so easy to get your hand around the back of the spokes and can get my hand through to the inside rim. I then move the car so the portion that I couldn’t reach because of the calipers can be cleaned. I couldn’t live knowing my wheels were dirty on the insides lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts