Audi Q5 Forum banner

Paint Shield Protection

9K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  PA_Trader 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mine had this applied as part of my deal, water is just now stopping to bead when it hits the paint work.

Any other amateur detailers out there have any recommendations as I'm thinking of a pamper day for the car at the weekend.

Going to give it a double wash with Meguirs NXT generation first
Then clay bar and detail spray to remove all the bonded on crap
Then polish to strip off the protection
Then two layers of wax

May have a trip out for some new detailing gear too, always used Meguirs but would welcome any other alternative products anyone wants to recommend?

#3 ·
Thats a point I've got the car care kit the dealer gave me at purchase I'll give that a go...

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
My regime lately has been a couple of coats of Autoglym Super Resin Polish, then Autoglym high def wax, and then Autoglym sealant (can't recall exact name)... have been pleasantly surprised at the finish from off the shelf stuff...

#5 ·
Marky - you need to read the Autoglym web site. Their advice is nothing on top of High Def wax as it spoils the shine. The only thing you need after Super resin is a coat of High Def wax. If you feel you want to top up the shine then you can use Aqua Wax when the water does not bead so well.

#9 ·
Thanks for that. I can't say that I noticed a difference, but will certainly take it on board!

On another note. I have had 3M full bonnet ventureshield applied on my last two cars. Another manufacturer quotes £1500+VAT for this, but 3M are still reasonable at £550 IIRC. I would thoroughly recommend it. I had both white cars (suzuka grey is basically white) and you cannot tell the film is there unless you start looking for it. At the end of the day if you get fed up with it you can take it off....

#6 ·
The problem with the dealer applied stuff isnt with the product necessarily it is with the application. These guys manage to put it on in ½ an hour when really it should take much much longer if you were doing it properly. Im not blaming them, they have a job to do and a LOT of cars to get through that's why your probably hasn't lasted as long as it should.
Would be worth trying the top up kit you got but that would only be short term.

I can highly recommend Gtechniq - however it is critical the car is prepped correctly to achieve the 2 year longevity they claim. I would recommend getting it done by one of their approved detailers. I know some like to wash and take care of their car - I am one of them but I would never take this on. The pros with buff out any swirls etc before application - again something I would never try.

#8 ·
A lot of good and sage advice in this post. I am the same and content myself with applying the "amateur" products and as I say I've been very impressed with the Hi Def wax. It's a good price compared to a lot of other high end waxes and it does give a great depth of shine and can be used over sealants. My detailer tells me that Lifeshine only lasts 1 year to 18 months tops in real life no matter how well you apply it.

#7 ·
Mmm may treat it to a professional detail, polish and wax. Anybody recommend anywhere in the West Yorkshire area?

#14 ·
Contact Jonny at puredetail for gtechniq. He's based in chorley but travels. Maintains my TT and I'll always recommend his work.

Reactions: Chopper
#10 ·
18 months would certainly fit with my car. The boot and bonnet continue to bead but the remaining panels are holding some surface water without run off.

#11 ·
Yes and I suspect if you clay the car to remove the bonded contaminants then what ever is left of the Lifeshine goes with it. If you don't mind the elbow grease then there is nothing nicer then cleaning and polishing your car. If not the the Gtechniq stuff looks like it's good.

#12 ·
my suggestions would be wash with AG shampoo, dry then de tar the car and clay bar it. rinse offf and dry again. I use poor boys blacvk hole on my car now to hide any paint blemishes it needs a microfible off.
AG hif Def wax and buff

Rainex on windscreen and back window and AG fast glass on sides and inside windows

I use rim wax on the alloys and meguirs endurance tyre gel on the tyres to make them look excellent

#13 ·
I use Hi Def was also but on our other car - very good product but requires a bit of effort so limit it to 2 /3 times a year.

You can apply a wax or alternative protectant on top of the Gtechniq no problem but the effect (water beading etc) will take on the properties of whatever is applied.

If nothing else the glass stuff is superb - i can drive in the rain on the motorway without wipers - easyish to apply and lasts well even with wiper friction - it must be easy as i successfully applied it myself!

#15 ·
Thanks I will do work looks excellent.

#16 ·
I would recommend zaino for ease of application and longevity. My regime is to initially wash with something similar to fairy liquid to strip off any existing polish/wax, dry, clay with lubricant of choice then wash with z7, then z- aio followed by z6 QD spray then either z2 or z5 depending on car colour and finish off with z8 spray. This will take a few hours.

My normal wash routine consists of snow foam and rinse followed by washing with z7, dry then spray and wipe down with z6. This takes just less than an hour.

After owning several black cars I can't stress enough to use a quality wash mitt (not sponges), plush microfibre towels to dry (not chamois leather) and good quality microfibre towels for wiping off polish residue and QD spray. Anything less and your gonna get swirl marks. Might also be a good idea to buy a decent bucket with grit guard to help prevent rubbing grit back into your paintwork.

From time to time I also use a machine polisher to take out swirl marks but with careful washing this could just about be avoided.

Might seem excessive but I like a clean car and I find it relaxing to go through the process (mind off work etc.)

#19 ·
#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
He is a video of the Gtechniq glass treatment taken today. it was pouring down but i didnt need to use the wipers at all.
some lovely beading

#21 ·
Just out of interest what is it like in a Q5 for stone chips at the front? Better or worse for being higher?

#23 ·
Thanks Missile. I just asked what templates are on the 3M system for Q5's and got the following reply:

patterns for the 2013 Audi Q5 in these models 2.0T Premium & Premium plus. 3.0T Prestige 2, S-line, 3.0T Premium Plus
WTF is a Premium model.. is that USDM?

#24 ·
Can anyone confirm that there is no change to the front of an SQ5 bar the grill? If no change I would assume the 3.0T Premium Plus is the same as an 3.0L S-Line Plus and would be good enough to use as a template?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.