Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2012 Q5. It currently has 30,000 miles and has been a wonderful car. It is in garage with a few exceptions of being outside in the sun during work hours ( I rotate cars). With that said I notices two weeks ago the paint peeling on front bumper and today after I finished washing car the entire front hood and roof appears to be bubbling under clear coat. It looks like thousands of little bubbles. The car was bought late 2012. It is black and the bubbles seem to have appeared over the last week. It has had "normal" to less sun exposure. The car is black. Before I go to dealership tomorrow wanted to know if any of you have advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to add to my previous post above, my 2012 BMW 5 series also black, sits
In sun twice as much and paint is showroom ready!

·
Still Game
4,610 Posts
That is not "normal". My old Q5 sat out in all weathers for four plus years with no ill effect. I am guessing you are in the UK? What euphemistically passes for sunshine in the UK could hardly be compared to the more extreme weather conditions seen in many other countries.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'd guess from the term Hood, he's US based.

Still not normal, but i'm not sure how the paint warranty works - first port of call is your local dealer to talk it over in terms of what are the options.(regardless of geo)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After visiting dealer, I was told the car was in "acid rain", odd that it only hit the front hood and roof, then after further inspection I was told it had "tree sap" that had fallen on car. BOTH are totally nuts! This car is in a garage 90% of the time! I live in a "normal" climate and there are NO big sappy trees anywhere near where this car is [email protected]! PLUS: it is hand washed weekly! Front grill is also peeling they did say that has been happening with the Q5.. Now, they have decided to try a "clay rub" and something else. I am beyond frustrated. The way to describe the look of the hood is that it had thousands of sand grains on the hood, then it was clear coated and air is under each particle. It is horrible looking. As stated above I have a BMW 5 series that is parked in the garage, same place when I take it to work, same climate and the paint is still showroom ready. First thing Audi Dealer asked was if I purchased the extra shield coating they offer when I purchased the car. I did not. I was told they now use a water based paint that does not hold as well and everyone should buy the coating package when purchasing a car... lesson learned. I am over 50 purchased many nice cars and NEVER have seen anything like this with any car paint...

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Sounds like they are taking you for a ride mate. Start shouting loudly whilst simultaneously filing a complaint with Audi direct in your country...

I'm not going to list how every one of their statements is wrong/bullshit as my post will be rather long, but needless to say they are trying anything they can to avoid getting the problem PROPERLY fixed which will likely be expensive...

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Also, take it to a professional detailer for a second opinion.
Audi dealers tend to employ monkeys to wash cars not detailers and don't have the in house experience to diagnose a paintwork issue in my experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts