Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi

After a 6 month wait, I finally took delivery of my Q5 this week 2.0 TDI (170) S-Line S-tronic, IBIS White, Privacy Glass, Panoramic sunroof and LOTS more toys!!!

One of the extras is the factory fitted tow bar (Oris-matic) which, on initial inspection the tow ball did not appear to look like an extended neck tow ball, but I have checked the label and it does state it is A50-X type.

Those of you who have a caravan with an Al-ko hitch will know the Al-ko requires a 'swan/extended neck' tow bar - therefore I am concerned the Oris-matic tow bar which Audi have fitted will not be compatible with the Al-ko.

I explained to my wife, we cannot be the only Q5 owners with a factory fitted tow bar who want to use an Al-ko hitch?

Is there anyone out there who could provide us with some further advice?

Thanks
John.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi Stewart here
I tow a Swift Conqueror 540 caravan with Audi Q5 143 bhp diesel, with factory fit tow bar ,NO PROBLEM TOWING WITH THE ALKO STABALISER .Ive also towed with BMW X3, HONDA CRV the Q5 IS EXCELLENT. Hope this is what you needed to hear Stewart

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stewart, thanks for your reply...it is certainly encouraging as we have yet to try it with the van(Swift Challenger 530).

Do you have the Oris-matic towbar (that drops down and swivels into place)?

Cheers
John

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi Gingamob [
i have the Audi factory fitted tow bar fitted to my Q5 so i presume it is the same model tow bar that is fitted to yours, ie the manual drop down one .
Stewart

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Stewart, this gives us some reassurance.

·
Registered
963 Posts
There was a caravan tow test feature with the Q5 recently in the Audi Driver magazine........might be worth a read. It was all good that I read

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Josh, I will take a look.

Regards
John

·
Registered
963 Posts
I also read in that article that pin 9 and 10 on the tow bar socket are not powered as standard. They are the ones that power your caravan battery and fridge. So you may need to get the dealer to sort that as well

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Josh - why is nothing ever straight forward?!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Audi are still investigating my issue.

In the meantime, I have taken my Q5 to a local towbar installation company who I have used before and they have measured the clearance which is 3mm short of the minimum 68mm required for the Alko coupling.

Also, the pins for charging the battery and powering the fridge are not connected!

Unless Audi otherwise advise, I have been told the whole Oris-matic system will need to be stripped out and a detachable system installed plus some rewiring and re-programming - ?600!!

I will advise Audi's response - but in the meantime, beware if getting a factory fitted towbar fitted to use on an Alko coupling!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Audi are still investigating my issue.

In the meantime, I have taken my Q5 to a local towbar installation company who I have used before and they have measured the clearance which is 3mm short of the minimum 68mm required for the Alko coupling.

Also, the pins for charging the battery and powering the fridge are not connected!

Unless Audi otherwise advise, I have been told the whole Oris-matic system will need to be stripped out and a detachable system installed plus some rewiring and re-programming - ?600!!

I will advise Audi's response - but in the meantime, beware if getting a factory fitted towbar fitted to use on an Alko coupling!

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi Gingamog
Stewart here i towed last week from Lancaster to Chatsworth in Derbyshire ( second time out ) no problems with the alco tow hitch, no problems with the clearance between hitch and bumper .Dont know if the fridge or battery charger works from the car , be interested to know what audi has to say on those two points ,please keep me posted on this one . thanks
Stewart

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my last update was in November...that's how long it has taken to get the situation resolved.

To cut a long story short, I have received written confirmation from Audi the towbar is Alko compatible. The dealership also arranged for the towbar electrics to be rewired to UK spec and all pins are now fully wired.

I have also received a good compensation package for the inconvenience caused

Tried the caravan with the Q5 for the first time today and it was better than I imagined it would be...absolutely solid, plenty of power (2.0 TDI 170) and very stable.

Roll on the good weather.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi gingamog Stewart here regarding tow bar wiring , mine is a factory fit tow bar so i presume it will not be wired to uk spec , just wanted to know what your compensation package is { if its not confidential } so i can ask for the same thanks Stewart

·
Registered
963 Posts
Well it looks like we may also get a tin wheeled shed for holidays

Any tips apart from sorting the electrics on the car

How do I work out the nose weight as this is all beyond me?

·
Registered
34 Posts
[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1302530941' post='11746']
Well it looks like we may also get a tin wheeled shed for holidays

Any tips apart from sorting the electrics on the car

How do I work out the nose weight as this is all beyond me?
[/quote
Hi Josh the best way to find out about caravaning is to join the Caravan Club, they will tell you how to work all the weights out, plus loads of other info on towing,setting up your van, electrics ,water etc.Plus all the sites you stay on are of an excellent standard .What style of van are you after,2berth ,4berth end bathroom ,fixed bed. Have a good look round at styles and what you think would suit your needs,when you have decided on style only look at that style but try different makers
Hope this helps let me know what you choose Stewart

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi gingamog Stewart here regarding tow bar wiring , mine is a factory fit tow bar so i presume it will not be wired to uk spec , just wanted to know what your compensation package is { if its not confidential } so i can ask for the same thanks Stewart
Hi Stewart, Audi reimbursed the cost of the towbar and included 3 free services, mainly due to the fact it was not wired to UK spec plus the unreasonable amount of time it took them (and the dealer) to resolve it.

We have taken the van out a couple of times now and all is fine - excellent towing vehicle

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi Stewart, Audi reimbursed the cost of the towbar and included 3 free services, mainly due to the fact it was not wired to UK spec plus the unreasonable amount of time it took them (and the dealer) to resolve it.

We have taken the van out a couple of times now and all is fine - excellent towing vehicle
So they just wired pins 9 and 10 for you then

Hi Stewart,

I had a look at the Swift Challenger and liked them. Then considered a Lunar but the dealership is 1 to 2 hours away which could be a nuisance.

Now considering a Bailey Pegasus 2 Verona fixed bed 4 berth as the Dealer is only 10 minutes away. Been offered loads of extras foc to include an awning and ground sheet etc. Yet to negotiate the price....subject to approval by the wife of course.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Josh

Yes, I think it was those pins...definitely required for charging whilst towing and powering the fridge. The dealership then took it to a local caravan dealership to test it.

We also have a Swift Challenger 530 and the Q5 (2.0 TDI 170) pulls it no problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Josh

Yes, I think it was those pins...definitely required for charging whilst towing and powering the fridge. The dealership then took it to a local caravan dealership to test it.

We also have a Swift Challenger 530 and the Q5 (2.0 TDI 170) pulls it no problem.
hi josh i have the swift conquerer end bed, tows well with 143 diesel , dont usually have the fridge switched on while travelling , so dont know if my q5 is wired to british spec
Stewart

1 - 20 of 22 Posts