Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - almost ready to order Q5.

I'm planning to order Q5 SE manual TDi 170 model.

I drive 25 miles to work on mix of country roads (40-50mph) and good B road (60 mph)and 2 farely steep hills.

I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager (manual, diesel) and I get 36mpg. I use cruise almost all the time as there are not many junctions and cruise works fine above 40mph.

I do not accelerate fast, but I make reasonable progress.

In my wifes Seat Ibiza 1.9TDi I get 60 mpg on same journey.

In my son's Audi A6 Quattro (manual) I've no idea but in 3 days I brought his average mpg up from 25mpg to 33mpg.

So the question is - am I reasonable to think I can get about 40Mpg + in the Q5 ?

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts

I drive 25 miles to work on mix of country roads (40-50mph) and good B road (60 mph)and 2 farely steep hills.

I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager (manual, diesel) and I get 36mpg. I use cruise almost all the time as there are not many junctions and cruise works fine above 40mph.

In my son's Audi A6 Quattro (manual) I've no idea but in 3 days I brought his average mpg up from 25mpg to 33mpg.

So the question is - am I reasonable to think I can get about 40Mpg + in the Q5 ?
Think you will struggle to be honest

Rich

·
Registered
44 Posts

I live in rural Dorset and most of my driving is similar to that you describe. Driving at 50mph is very economical up to 44mpg, mix it with some 60-70mph and it drops to about 40mpg. On a long run with lots of steady motorway, consumption is around 40mpg. That's my experience anyway after 1500 miles in a 170 tdi manual. If you have a heavy foot it will make a big difference! Hope that helps.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Out of interest which is considered the more economical, manual or s-tronic?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, very useful information.

I'm after manual but question on auto is interesting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
170 S line, S-tronic. With mixed driving i have just done a tank to tank calculation and the result was 29 to the gallon. The computer has never been reset and shows an overall of 32.8. I can always achieve figures around the 40 mark on the computer to make myself feel better but each time you do a tank to tank calc the result is always circa low 30.
Love the car but mpg is disappointing to published figure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
170 S line, S-tronic. With mixed driving i have just done a tank to tank calculation and the result was 29 to the gallon. The computer has never been reset and shows an overall of 32.8. I can always achieve figures around the 40 mark on the computer to make myself feel better but each time you do a tank to tank calc the result is always circa low 30.
Love the car but mpg is disappointing to published figure.
I check tank to tank calculation every time...Ive now done 30K miles and nearly always average aroung 35 mpg mark..Mixed driving mostly local and duel carriageway...I would class myself as an average driver. 70 - 80 on motorways..

170 S-tronic

·
Registered
130 Posts
My average since new is 23mpg. I get 20mpg on my morning station run (guess it's too short a run, under 10 mins) and 25mpg on long motorway runs (guess I drive to fast).

MPG wasn't a deciding factor for me as my mileage will be low- however, had I known it would be *this* bad I would have bought the TFSI for the same money and enjoyed the extra power. I mainly went for the diesel for resale- who will want a petrol SUV in the loony-green future?

It's a 2.0 TDI 170 Sline Stronic.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My average since new is 23mpg. I get 20mpg on my morning station run (guess it's too short a run, under 10 mins) and 25mpg on long motorway runs (guess I drive to fast).

MPG wasn't a deciding factor for me as my mileage will be low- however, had I known it would be *this* bad I would have bought the TFSI for the same money and enjoyed the extra power. I mainly went for the diesel for resale- who will want a petrol SUV in the loony-green future?

It's a 2.0 TDI 170 Sline Stronic.
That MPG is about the same as my 2.0 TSFI !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts