Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an Audi Q5 Sport line Special Edition in October 2010 from Audi at Leicester, I wanted to get rid of my Audi A4 which I had been recently plagued with engine management lights,so thought as I am about to retire I would spend a decent amount of money, £28k and get a car problem free under warranty and not have any issues ?

After less then 3k miles the damn thing has thrown up...guess......yep and engine management light!!!

I rang Audi on 3rd May pretty cheesed off as it means another 25 mile hike to drop the car off and then eventually get it back and pay ridiculous amounts, I expected in the very least to hear, yes can you bring it in tomorrow or the next day, but no, my £28k outlay gets me an appointment on the 23rd May !

As soon as the light is sorted, the thing goes up for sale, I drive BMW 330d and 530d at work, we clock up around 60k per year in all the cars, which are driven just about 24/7 and not particularly loved or closeted, so far haven't seen an engine management light on any of them, so thanks Audi, but no thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Enjoy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And
Wow! What an over-reaction. I wouldn't want to sell ANYTHING to you.
I wouldn't want you too, I didnt buy it from a private tyre kicker, but from an Audi dealer, you may find it acceptable to shell out a lot of money and receive crap service, I don't.

The handbook clearly states if the exhaust emission light comes on, drive slowly to an authorised dealer, without delay? To be told "we will look at in three weeks" is not acceptable, any damage caused now may well transpire after the warranty runs out in September, so with this problem arising now, the response from the dealer and the countless other problems highlighted with this fault does not fill me with confidence in the brand, therefore get rid before it escalates

There are many threads relating to this issue.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/5083-emission-control-system-warning.html

·
Registered
289 Posts
@ happychappy. have you really only done 3000 miles in 2.5 years with the car? This is not a good plan if you run a modern diesel engine. They need long fast runs very regularly and are intended to do high mileages. If you are only doing a few 1000 miles per year you are much better off with a petrol engine and indeed perhaps a smaller one as you indicate in your opening post. This will be true whichever make of car you buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aldfort apologies, I bought the car in October last year, it is an October 2010 car and had 30k on the clock when I bought it, I appreciate short runs etc are not good, but I mainly use the car at weekends. In the week I drive company cars BMW 330 and 530d.

My point was the poor service from Audi and their attitude that despite what the manual states, they are quite happy to run the car and will cover warranty issues, however, if damage is caused in running it for three weeks with this fault, what will Audi do should I get a similar problem in September when the warranty expires.

Anyway, light has now gone out, but still will take it for the appointment and then get rid, or attempt to?

·
Registered
289 Posts
There is a video on the Audi UK web site that tells you how to deal with the DPF warning light. It's a multi stage warning system. The first time the lights comes on it's just basically telling you to take the car for a long run as far as I can make out. There is another level of warning that is telling you to take the car to a dealer and there is a third level where a failure of the DPF occurs and you can't drive the car, at least that's what I think the chap in the video is saying but have a look and see what you think. If you were on "level one" perhaps that's why the light has gone out? Maybe you drove it enough for the DPF to regenerate? Anyway no harm in getting it checked but perhaps if it was a "level one" warning that's why the dealer is so apparently laid back about it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Im sorry to hear about your problems, sounds like youve been really unlucky to be honest.

I deal with engine lights every single day on all makes of cars regardless of cost .. all models and makes have issues not just audi. I deal with so many BMW eml warning faults its crazy. The amount of dpf faults i see is frightening.
Dpf issues are Modern diesel specific and ALL manufacturers have problems with them. Most of the time the problem lies with the driver , hence why there not covered under warranty.

I have a few Simple bits of advice when customers ask should they buy a petrol or diesel :)

If you dont use the motorway for at least 20 miles at least once every 2 weeks .....do not buy a diesel,
if your not prepared to spend money on quality fuel and oils.......do not not buy a diesel
If your not prepared to have your car serviced correctly by quality independents or dealers ...Do not buy a diesel

Are you really going to base your decision on how many miles to gallon the manufacturer says you will get and how cheap the tax is !!! Well Dont ...
you wont get the MPG stated and the money you save in tax will be swallowed up in one repair bill for a problem concerning any modern emission system.

Buy the car you want , that meets your needs !!!

however I do agree with the level of service from Audi can be shocking.
And no matter if its only a stage 1 warning or not be worried, get your car on a motorway immediately

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your response, unfortunately despite trying I cannot seem to add the image of the DPF filter light, the light shown is not the DPF light, but the engine management light or the yellow/orange picture of the engine, Audi in the handbook describe what I call the engine management light as the Exhaust Emission System light ?

I am fully aware of the DPF problems and run the car regularly at over 2k revs for sustained periods, the light has now gone out, but I shall not know what it is until the 23rd ? and that was my criticism of Audi, that they do not know what it is?

When I rang Audi I explained it was not the DPF light, the manual describes the light as the exhaust emission light, I always knew this as the engine management light in my A4, but on the Q5 there is a separate light for the DPF

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've had a couple of engine management faults too. Believe it or not the last one was fixed by fitting a new steering column magnet.............no idea but the fault lights have stopped lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts