Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone swapped to winter tyres yet?

If so did you have any problems changing the wheels?
Any comments as to cleaning and storing the summer wheels/tyres over winter.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi, has anyone swapped to winter tyres yet?

If so did you have any problems changing the wheels?
Any comments as to cleaning and storing the summer wheels/tyres over winter.
Hi Shunter,
Living in Scotland I ordered winter wheels and tyres from Audi 9th March, when I ordered the Q5. The car's been here since Sept. 1st but wheels still haven't arrived!
I have a 'liftmaster tyre trolley' waiting in readiness but alas it stands empty! If I get them in time I will change end of November unless weather takes a downturn meantime.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Will be fitting mine end of November, they will come out of their comfy tyre warmer bags and have to work for a living for 4 months! Mind you my 20"ers are already getting twitchy about being in a warm garage with tyre covers

kc

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is anyone going to fit winter tyres on their 20" alloys or are you all getting a replacement (smaller) alloy + wheel set?

Really dumb question but do you change the wheels yourself with the crank? I'd be nervous about not tightening them properly as the pros all use air guns...

I'm wondering if it's worth it, living in Kent. It would have been last year but even if I had had winter tyres I likely wouldn't have used the car as they wouldn't give the other idiots on the road without them traction and prevent them sliding in to me!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone bought winter tyres to suit 18" alloys? ive got a set off wheels for when the Q comes but the price off tyres seems to be scarey? any recomendations?

James

·
Registered
124 Posts
Has anyone bought winter tyres to suit 18" alloys? ive got a set off wheels for when the Q comes but the price off tyres seems to be scarey? any recomendations?

James
With the price of rubber reaching a 15 year high I dont think its petrol we should be worrying about solely. Boy am I glad I took out a maintenance contract incuding tyres.

But seriously 20 inch boots for mine are outrageous !!

·
Registered
147 Posts
DNW
I do not think you can get "winter rubber" for 20" wheels because the tread depth and sidewalls all need to be deeper and it would muck up the rolling radius on 20's. Also 18's allow for a bit of height above most kerbs and I would not trust tyre fitters to change my tyres twice a year on those expensive 20's
kc

·
Registered
963 Posts
DNW
I do not think you can get "winter rubber" for 20" wheels because the tread depth and sidewalls all need to be deeper and it would muck up the rolling radius on 20's. Also 18's allow for a bit of height above most kerbs and I would not trust tyre fitters to change my tyres twice a year on those expensive 20's
kc
I'm fairly sure you can get them for 20".....but it won't be cheap.

BUT......imho winter tyres are better on a narrower wheel (less width cuts into the snow and gives better grip.....so in winter the rule is "Less is more") and bigger side walls (incase you slide into a kerb or don't see the kerb buried in the snow). So I would suggest 17 or 18" wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have bought wintertyres for our 20".

Pirelli Scorpions Ice & Snow 245/45 R20.

Chains are not possible,but we have bought the autosocks www.autosock.co.uk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I opted for a spare set of 17" rims as Josh said small is better and a much cheaper. You can buy good rims and tyres for the cost of some 20" tyres that I have seen. I also believe winter tyres will need to be changed earlier than you would summer tyres as they loose their benefit once the tread is down to 3mm. So again costly tyres are bad news

I will be monitoring with interest how my winter tyres ware compared to the summer ones. Anyone had any direct experience?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I opted for a spare set of 17" rims as Josh said small is better and a much cheaper. You can buy good rims and tyres for the cost of some 20" tyres that I have seen. I also believe winter tyres will need to be changed earlier than you would summer tyres as they loose their benefit once the tread is down to 3mm. So again costly tyres are bad news

I will be monitoring with interest how my winter tyres ware compared to the summer ones. Anyone had any direct experience?
Shunter,
Did you get Audi alloys and tyres? I ordered mine last March and I'm still waiting!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Shunter,
Did you get Audi alloys and tyres? I ordered mine last March and I'm still waiting!
NO - I tried but was given silly prices (for 17" rims) - I ended up buying Borbet alloys via a UK online supplier that sourced the wheels from Germany. The main issue was choosing the offset. They have TUV certificates for the Q5 and checked out OK when I tested them briefly last March. Just put them on so keeping my eyes on them. You may have notice how warm the weather has just become.

I think I have read more about winter tyres this year and something about certain Audi dealer?s offering winter tyre packages. If you ordered yours last March there is no excuse fro them not being here for this winter!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bought 1 set (for 2 weels) and will put them on the rear-wheels in case we ever need them.
From what I can gather the main benefit of winter tyres is in reducing braking distances on ice/snow and not traction. So if just fitting winter tyres to two wheels it may be worth fitting them on the front.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Just contacted Autosocks and their recommendation is to put the socks on the front wheels unless the handbook says anything different. Anyone with a handbook out there?
Ed.
Makes sense........engine weight on top of the socks will increase traction

·
Registered
963 Posts
Just a thought now that I've got a Q5 and actually seen the wheel set up.

I think those snow socks might be better on the rear wheels regardless od what Autosock say :!:

I notice in the front wheel arch that the suspension module over hangs the tyre slightly and this could cause a snowy cover snow sock to catch quite easily and may be dangerous.

This is clearly why Audi say install snow chains only on the back wheels

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just looked at the website for those Autosocks - the guy was driving up a hill with the rear wheels locked - pretty impressive!

If this winter turns into a bad one (snow wise) - I shall order a pair for the rears - not bad at ?65?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts