4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Never used an on line broker. I have asked for quotes from:

Orange Wheels
Buyacar
Drive the deal
Broadspeed

Best quote is from Drive the deal but they want £500 up front before they process my order and contact a dealer. I am a little apprehensive at shelling out then they say we can't get your spec / delivery is 18 months or whatever.

Quotes from others are similar. I am leaning toward Broadspeed who replied very promptly in a professional manner. No fees to pay until deal is confirmed with the dealer.

I would be greatful for any Comments from those who have experience in using a broker.

Many Thanks

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Carfile are very good, I nearly ordered the Mrs new car from them. I know one of us on here got their Q5 from them - it's in their sig.

Also carwow - works a bit differently. You post your required spec and dealers then send their bids direct, so you never actually talk to the broker.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'd just take the quotes to your local dealer and ask them to match (which they won't) but you'll get a good price.
The brokers can be misleading in my view - the prices they often put up include Audi finance offers so you have to read the quote.

I don't see the benefit of paying a broker.
They add nothing to the process. Drivethedeal is the only one id trust if looking to do it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
What sort of % discount (roughly) are to be expected from brokers?
like 5-10%, 10-15% ?

When I first started looking at Audi's last summer, I was offered a deal by dealership of 7% off on a car that been ordered, but had later been cancelled by purchaser.
I didn't end up doing that deal, but I went back at Christmas and said if I can still get the 7% off list, I'll order a new S-line plus.
Now, I dont know if they had one in a similar position as the previous scenario, but they agreed to it, and I was perfectly happy with that.

I had looked at Orangewheels, and (from memory) had possibility of around 8-9 % discount, but a looong estimated delivery time, and from some dealership 200 miles away.
I know servicing etc can be done at any Audi dealership, but I think it's much better to be dealing with the place from where you actually bought it, surely?

I do remember wondering then, why people bothered with brokers, and what I was missing exactly, because obviously it's something, as these people are doing a brisk business.
Is getting a 7% discount from Audi unusual ?? The salesrep tried to impress on me I was 'lucky' to get it, but ofcourse I just put that down to the usual sales patter.
Hope this thread can enlighten me on it, for possible future purchases.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
If you are willing to haggle you can usually get a dealer VERY close to a broker price, but for those that don't want to, and especially is the broker dealer is fairly nearby they it is an easy option.

Also the Q5 has very limited discounts, but other cars you can get some silly deals like 45% off!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got a few quotes from brokers, before Xmas.. took the best one 10% discount (think It was "UK car brokers") to my local dealership.

They eventually matched it after a few visits over a few weeks.. (in the interim period Audi had increased their prices).result,.

.. best thing was though the brokers quote did not include the recent price increase, so I actually ended up getting a better deal from dealer than would have from broker..as they matched the brokers pre increase price.

·
Registered
814 Posts
If you are willing to haggle you can usually get a dealer VERY close to a broker price, but for those that don't want to, and especially is the broker dealer is fairly nearby they it is an easy option.

Also the Q5 has very limited discounts, but other cars you can get some silly deals like 45% off!
Wow, up to 45% is incredible, obviously that's certainly one of things I was missing,
As for haggling, I love it !!

·
Banned
489 Posts
Carfile are very good, I nearly ordered the Mrs new car from them. I know one of us on here got their Q5 from them - it's in their sig.

Also carwow - works a bit differently. You post your required spec and dealers then send their bids direct, so you never actually talk to the broker.
Yes, Carfile recommended and I've used them 4 times now. No problems and on this last occasion for my Q5 I actually ended up with a dealer near me. Not that this has ever been an issue for me anyway. Get your own clear spec listed and give Jonathan a call or email your spec and he'll get you a no strings quote direct from a dealer. If you want to proceed you deal directly with the dealer for deposit etc.. Very friendly and efficient service. He gets around 1% from the dealer when you collect your car. This time last year I got 9% off my spec. He also does business with a private buyer, so he can get you a price too for whatever you're selling. It has always worked ££ better for me this way and keeps the purchase very clear and a 'purchase only' transaction.

·
Banned
489 Posts
What sort of % discount (roughly) are to be expected from brokers?
like 5-10%, 10-15% ?

When I first started looking at Audi's last summer, I was offered a deal by dealership of 7% off on a car that been ordered, but had later been cancelled by purchaser.
I didn't end up doing that deal, but I went back at Christmas and said if I can still get the 7% off list, I'll order a new S-line plus.
Now, I dont know if they had one in a similar position as the previous scenario, but they agreed to it, and I was perfectly happy with that.

I had looked at Orangewheels, and (from memory) had possibility of around 8-9 % discount, but a looong estimated delivery time, and from some dealership 200 miles away.
I know servicing etc can be done at any Audi dealership, but I think it's much better to be dealing with the place from where you actually bought it, surely?

I do remember wondering then, why people bothered with brokers, and what I was missing exactly, because obviously it's something, as these people are doing a brisk business.
Is getting a 7% discount from Audi unusual ?? The salesrep tried to impress on me I was 'lucky' to get it, but ofcourse I just put that down to the usual sales patter.
Hope this thread can enlighten me on it, for possible future purchases.
Why deal with brokers?? Well my time is precious and I don't want to prat around anymore with sales reps and their silly games. With Brokers you save all the crap and generally get the corporate/fleet price without any hassle whatever. Either you like the price or you don't. Simples!

·
Banned
842 Posts
I use them similarly, you get a ball park figure and use that to negotiate with the dealer. It means you don't get drawn into any games when they go off to talk to their boss in the magic glass box to do their best deal.

For me it means that head rules heart as I do get a bit giddy in car showrooms and find it easy to walk away if they don't do the deal I want.

Agree that the brokers price can be a little optimistic and am happy to pay more for a good dealer that doesn't give any BS and good service...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Money for old rope
Brokers add no value and when you need the dealers support they are less likely to look after you as you never bought the car from them so why should they bother going the extra mile for someone who's not even a customer to them.

I wouldn't and don't trust any of them - whichever way you look at it brokers are a tax, a cost for which you simply don't need to pay.
Get the broker to do the work then just call the dealer direct. As bad as injury lawyers... you can do it all yourself, so why line someone else's pocket.

·
Still Game
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I have some quotes from brokers and some from dealers direct.

I would rather drive in with my old car and out with the new. My nearest dealer is Abz Audi and I waiting to see what deal they can offer. Apparently the Audi order system is down this morning, or maybe it's just an IT glitch at my Audi dealer?

·
Banned
489 Posts
Money for old rope
Brokers add no value and when you need the dealers support they are less likely to look after you as you never bought the car from them so why should they bother going the extra mile for someone who's not even a customer to them.

I wouldn't and don't trust any of them - whichever way you look at it brokers are a tax, a cost for which you simply don't need to pay.
Get the broker to do the work then just call the dealer direct. As bad as injury lawyers... you can do it all yourself, so why line someone else's pocket.
Of course it's down to personal choice. I don't pay mine directly and I don't waste time with any salesman, so for me it's a great service. 9% discount for no effort is great value to me and no risk at all. After the intro to the dealer, I liaised directly with their corporate manager for all matters from my deposit through to hand-over. She looked after me very well (Tamworth Audi)

·
Banned
489 Posts
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I have some quotes from brokers and some from dealers direct.

I would rather drive in with my old car and out with the new. My nearest dealer is Abz Audi and I waiting to see what deal they can offer. Apparently the Audi order system is down this morning, or maybe it's just an IT glitch at my Audi dealer?
The private buyer that Carfile introduced me to paid by bank transfer the day he picked it up (I could check online) and drove me straight to the Audi dealer where I was picking up my new car. So no effort again.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Money for old rope

Agreed about the dealers support,
Although they'll smile and go through the motions, if you're not their customer you're not going to get much serious attention when problems arise
If I found a broker who dealt with my particular dealership, I'd be more interested, but the important thing for me, as a private buyer, is to be able to to walk in and talk face to face with the people who sold me it.
Plus, with my wife also in there, showing interest in smaller Audi models, they have a bit of incentive to give proper service I would imagine.

·
Banned
489 Posts
You're their customer when you're paying for a service just like anyone else. Also they are more than happy to do any warranty work too. I've never had cause to worry about buying from a distant dealer to be honest and no bad experiences. As I say though I am local this time around.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
As you say distant - maybe... all depends who needs to hit their target that week.
i dealt direct and got a bigger discount and quick turn around, but its all due to personal choice and relationships at the dealers.

No harm ever comes from keeping your local dealer onside and happy to help - that means paying him every now and then.

·
Registered
706 Posts
No probelms with drivethedeal. My sister bought 2 cars and I have bought one. Its a simple transaction and a no frills service. You just get value for money

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
I think u get a personal service from ur dealer,and there more inclined to put themselves out 4 u,my rear lights developed cracks,no proof or explanation of how or y it happened,but my dealer sorted immediately ,xtra helpfull,no quibbles,if I got from a broker I would still b arguing the toss now,and I got 10% discount on purchase,more than most brokers will give!so a little haggle is well woth a go,2 get the service and discount 😄

Reactions: Snow Man
1 - 20 of 45 Posts