Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced problems when connecting an old iPod to the latest MMI? I get 'iPod not compatible' when I try to connect my c6 year old iPod.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Do you have the red collar or blue collar AMI cable?

I think the red is for newer and blue for older from memory.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
You need a gen4 or above iPod in order to use it with AMI
SDcards are so much easier and I device flying around the glovebox.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I have used SD cards and they work great. Btw - is there a usb port anywhere in the car? Snowman - i think your comment may give a hint as to your driving style!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Another quick one, I have the latest I- pod 5 so ok for all my music etc, and most of my communication is thru this in wifi areas
However, my car wont have the wifi option, and I also have a battered old Nokia 100 which I use (pretty rarely) for phone calls, texts etc.

This old museum piece isn't on the compatibility list for the Bluetooth, so do I need to buy a new phone ( I'm quite attached to it) or can I transfer all the contacts from sim to SD card and use that for calls and contacts ??
Obviously I'm pretty clueless on this front, i want to have all my contacts on hand and ability for hands free calls, so what's best way to go ??
Cheers

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sj1000. Do you mean that you use iphone5? I use iphone5 and it works fine as a phone and streaming via bluetooth. I am not familiar with iPod 5 but i guess that you may use it for emails etc and it will rely on a wifi signal? I also use iPod touch and sometimes my iPad in the car, but i do not have wifi and rely on built in sim for iPad. It sounds like it might be 'new car - new phone' time!

·
Registered
814 Posts
S
Sj1000. Do you mean that you use iphone5? I use iphone5 and it works fine as a phone and streaming via bluetooth. I am not familiar with iPod 5 but i guess that you may use it for emails etc and it will rely on a wifi signal? I also use iPod touch and sometimes my iPad in the car, but i do not have wifi and rely on built in sim for iPad. It sounds like it might be 'new car - new phone' time!
Sorry about delay on reply,

I don't have I-phone, just the I-pod, but I wont have the built in sim/ wi-fi option in my new car (another blunder)
Apart from my old nokia, I have a Samsung galaxy touchscreen (android) with bluetooth obv.
I rarely use it as it winds me up, but could do if it works with the car.
It's also not on the list of compatibility for Q5's MY13 onwards.
My sales rep however says she has never yet come across a phone that wont do the job, though 100% all the functions may not be there.

Think I'll just give it a try on collection, and if useless will be straight off to the shop for something compatible.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You need a gen4 or above iPod in order to use it with AMI
SDcards are so much easier and I device flying around the glovebox.
Snowman - do you get the album artwork? It's not a major problem, but I don't and was wondering if I'd done somehting wrong with my SD card?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thank you missile. Am being blonde though - I use iTunes, so how do I do the tagging and transfer to achieve this?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Major problem I see with the SD card/jukebox and external HDD options are that you get no shuffle or randomised play, as far as I'm aware.
Does anyone have any idea how to get past this issue or would I just have to live without it?

·
Still Game
4,610 Posts
Not so easy (nothing is?) in iTunes. I copy all my music to a music file edit files add tags and arrange it as I want, before copying to the SD card.

I have given up trying to upload to the juke box, that seems to take forever.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not so easy (nothing is?) in iTunes. I copy all my music to a music file edit files add tags and arrange it as I want, before copying to the SD card.

I have given up trying upload to the juke box, that seems to take forever.
Missile, which software do you use?

·
Still Game
4,610 Posts
Hi,

There is no need to use any extra software.

I have a music file on my PC, which I have subdivided by artist and album. The file attributes can be edited directly on the PC. I often use windows player to source artwork. When this does not give me the artwork I want, I search on the WWW and copy album artwork e.g. from Amazon.co.uk.

I upload to iTunes only those tunes I want ready access to in palylist, with smaller compilation lists for my iPhone, iPad laptop and SD cards.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hi,

There is no need to use any extra software.

I have a music file on my PC, which I have subdivided by artist and album. The file attributes can be edited directly on the PC. I often use windows player to source artwork. When this does not give me the artwork I want, I search on the WWW and copy album artwork e.g. from Amazon.co.uk.

I upload to iTunes only those tunes I want ready access to in palylist, with smaller compilation lists for my iPhone, iPad laptop and SD cards.
Great thanks.

I guess I had better go and find Josés most excellent informative thread on this very subject....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts